PDA

View Full Version : Strange option added to my right click context menu...

8ftmetalhaed
13-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Alrighty, have just noticed that in the past day I've had an extra option added to my rc context menu of "WinPatrol PLUS info" when right clicking application shortcuts.

Google yields nothing much, winpatrol seems to be a valid app. Clicking the option gives an error, apprently there's no associated program with the shortcut.
I'm thinking perhaps another program randomly installed the option, however norton utilities' registry scanner didn't pick up any missing associations or errors.

Ideas? (other than getting rid of norton?)

wratterus
13-07-2010, 05:40 PM
I doubt it's norton's problem, but you should get rid of norton anyway. Come on, you know you want to!

Is WinPatrol actually installed?

8ftmetalhaed
13-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Not that I can see, no.
I'm thinking it might have been when I installed dead steel last night from that MDS site. Not trying to point fingers at them (since the game's awesome) but it's the only thing I've installed in the past few days that could have done it. Considering it installed physX aswell as a couple of other things along with it, i think that might be the reason.

I also just pulled out my old ashampoo winoptimiser 5 that I got from pc world a little while ago... it did pick up a fair few things norton missed, i'll admit.

wratterus
13-07-2010, 05:49 PM
I'd install the trial of WinPatrol and then properly uninstall it through add/remove programs, hopefully that would be enough to get rid of it all together. If not, there is another way to edit the right click menu so it doesn't show the WinPatrol option.

8ftmetalhaed
13-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Alright, i'll give that a shot since in a minute.

8ftmetalhaed
13-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Actually no, i am mistaken. I DID install win patrol plus a while ago but removed it because i found it not very useful and VERY intrusive. Completely forgot about that.

wratterus
13-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Right. So looks like it didn't uninstall fully. I'd still do what I suggested earlier and see if that fixes it.

8ftmetalhaed
13-07-2010, 06:10 PM
It did, and thanks very much for the help.
Seems like I had to check the option of reenabling everything the program disabled when i DID use it. So yeah, not so good coding on their part.

Speedy Gonzales
13-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Did you uninstall it or delete its folder (without uninstalling it first)?? There's a diff

wratterus
13-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Cool, glad it's sorted.

8ftmetalhaed
13-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Uninstalled it of course, THEN deleted the traces.