PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista Home Basic won't boot after SP1 installation

chiefnz
13-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Hi guys, as per title...

Windows Vista Home Basic won't boot after SP1 is installed. The machine is stuck on the green bar display and just runs continuously.

I have googled this and many people have had this issue. I have tried various solutions provided but have met with no success.

Has anyone encountered this issue before and successfully fixed it.

Some people say that it is because your disk controller is set to AHCI instead of IDE.
I have tried all BIOS configuration options (including factory defaults) but none of them have worked.

System specs are:

Asus M2N68-AM PLUS motherboard
AMD 245 X2 2.9GHz CPU
2GB RAM
250GB HDD
latest bios 1802

Windows Vista Home Basic

Speedy Gonzales
13-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Did you use windowsupdate, or download SP1 then install it? AHCI should be fine if the hdd is SATA (if it was enabled when Vista was installed, leave it on AHCI)

If you change it back to IDE (it'll probably crash)

chiefnz
13-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Did you use windowsupdate, or download SP1 then install it? AHCI should be fine if the hdd is SATA (if it was enabled when Vista was installed, leave it on AHCI)

Yes tried both methods with the same result.

If you change it back to IDE (it'll probably crash)
Yes left it on AHCI after update but still did not boot.

Thanks,

SP8's
13-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Maybe not the exact same problem, but had major issues with downloading SP2 via windows update and ended up downloading the SP2 update stand-alone 700(Meg)+ file.
That was after having similar problems with SP1 making vista a little temperamental - (read as unstable as hell)

Ended up doing a clean install and loading both the SP's before adding anything else - was OK because I had backed everything up before playing around.

Speedy Gonzales
13-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Have you got the standalone install files for SP1 and 2 Chief?

You could try putting the dvd in, and repairing the install. Or use something like this (http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/)

SP8's
13-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Have you got a vista boot disk ? Have a Vista boot repair disk if it's of any use to you.

Snap Speedy !!

chiefnz
13-07-2010, 07:48 PM
I tried doing a clean install of SP2 but was met with an error message saying that SP1 has to be installed 1st so no luck there.

Don't have a Vista disk at all. This system was build from a Compaq Desktop and I used Symantec backup Exec Recovery to migrate the original disk to a new hardware platform. I don't have the recovery disks either and the original HDD has since being nuked (I knew that was going to bite me in the @ss)

Next step is to remove Symantec Endpoint Protection and try to install SP1 and SP2.

Thanks,

Speedy Gonzales
13-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Yup you're right there. SP2 wont install without SP1. Is it 32 or 64 bit?

Depending on where you are in Auckland, I could give you SP1 and 2 (if you bring a USB flash drive over). x64 SP1 and 2 would be about 1.2/1.3 GB. x86 -880 MB.Would any version of Vista fix a Home basic install? Or would it have to be basic as well? Or bring the case over. Dont worry about anything else. I've got cables and a spare monitor

chiefnz
13-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Thanks Speedy... you're the man.

OS is 32-bit.

I'm going to see how I go with the install after removing Symantec (currently running now)

Hopefully this will end with a good result.

Will keep you posted.

Speedy Gonzales
13-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Sweet, no probs

chiefnz
15-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Ok, removed Symantec and then tried to install SP1 but this failed with the same result as before.

Getting a Vista disc from a work colleague so I'll see what happens.

Thanks,

Speedy Gonzales
15-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Will it boot into safe mode?? Whats the videocard, and are the latest video drivers installed? Looks like this prob can also happen if the vid drivers are out of date. Try booting into safe mode (if it can) then uninstall the vid drivers, then reboot). Then see what happens

chiefnz
15-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Can't boot into anything from the advance menu when pressing F8.

Safe mode boot fails and hangs on an item call CRCDISK or something like that.

Hopefully, with a Vista disk things will come together.

Thanks,

Speedy Gonzales
15-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Is daemontools on this? It looks like creative sound cards can also cause this prob. It looks like some Acronis program, can also crash crcdisk.sys

But I would say you will need a dvd to fix it. Have you been here (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/itprovistasetup/thread/e97484e1-1a7e-4518-a1b1-f602bef5f5c7/) and here ? (http://www.carrollzone.com/Blog/post/2007/06/Acronis-Uninstall-caused-Vista-to-BSOD-with-0x0000007B-in-crcdisksys.aspx)

chiefnz
15-07-2010, 08:22 PM
No daemon tools installed, no Creative sound card and no Acronis software installed at all.

Been to the 1st site but not the 2nd... but don't think it will be relevant as no Acronis software is installed on this machine.

Thanks,

Speedy Gonzales
15-07-2010, 08:36 PM
The 2nd one, even if it doesnt apply, is what you may have to do, to fix it. Remove its hdd and put it in a working system, then do a chkdsk /r on it

chiefnz
17-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Ok replaced Home Basic with Vista Ultimate SP1 and all is going well. I'm busy with Windows Updates at the moment and haven't had any issues.

Successfully updated the system to SP2 without issue.

Thanks for all the help guys.