PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Registry Folder Searcher

kahawai chaser
13-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Hi,

I am currently deleting numerous folders in the registry that referred to past programs (including trial software), that I uninstalled. Even included ref folders to HP printer which I uninstalled.

The corresponding folders/programs for the reg folders do not exist (or not visible) - i.e. in explorer. I have used a couple of registry cleaners including ccleaner several times - but those "reference" registry folders still exist. Which has created huge unneeded (I think) directory tree's - which I want to trim down. Why would they still exist?

Anyone know off a registry searcher (and eraser) (i.e. not cleaner) to easily find folders/sub folders that are not required or used. Most free cleaners have not removed them, and I realize that their are reg monitors (notably from Microsoft - Sysinternals - but often they refer to the value/handle key entries that are currently active. Thanks.

pctek
13-07-2010, 03:23 PM
Hi,

I am currently deleting numerous folders in the registry that referred to past programs (including trial software), that I uninstalled. Even included ref folders to HP printer which I uninstalled.
Why would they still exist?

Because no reg cleaner ever gets it all.
The only way is the way you are using now.

nofam
13-07-2010, 03:34 PM
I've actually found it easier in the past with epically huge apps like NAV/Nero to re-install, then re-remove them using Revo or a a dedicated uninstall tool.

Probably not practical if you have a heap of them to do though.

zyy2010
13-07-2010, 03:35 PM
If you Reinstall the system or System Restore, Should be effective!

zqwerty
13-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Yup, this is what you need, I have an earlier version so I am not sure what limitations are on this trial version, This is the fastest registry search I have ever used by far and there is a companion app as well, RegEditX.

http://www.brothersoft.com/registry-crawler-5441.html

Make sure you back up your registry before deleting anything, I suggest Erunt,

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

kahawai chaser
13-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Thanks for replies.

@pctek Manually is one sure way but too time consuming at times. Odd why Microsoft cannot build a simple reg searcher with options though. They built Bing, and dozens of diagnostic (e.g. sysinternals suite) and security tools. Yet no search function for it's long standing regedit. In fact nothing much of note about the registry over the years - perhaps to do with agreements and certification with certain software suppliers?

@nofam Forgot about revo installer- as it does display registry entries to delete. I assume it display all entries, as I think some "hibernate" - and in hindsight to prevent those trying to reinstall trial software? Or to reestablish connection to it's site/or vendors/ad site if revisited? Or can end up in the local services section (as I found out with adware that I uninstalled)?

@zyy2010 Well if something drastic happens- but I like to dig selectively deep - rather than just run standard programs - as apparently do not always work - i.e. drill down to least critical features for removal/editing, etc. Possible that certain vendor reg entries may stay intact though on restore. Who knows? or cares? Until the registry gets bloated as I have just found out.

@zqwerty Thanks for links! Will try - will back up - as in the past, but hope those programs help to easily ID and remove unneeded reg folders. Otherwise plenty of manual removal...

zqwerty
13-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Yes manual removal but a really, really fast search, you will be surprised how quick it is after using the standard Windows reg search.

pctek
13-07-2010, 05:28 PM
@pctek Manually is one sure way but too time consuming at times. Odd why Microsoft cannot build a simple reg searcher with options though. T

Odd how they thought the registry was necessary.

The number of things I've installed on D:, then done a image restore on C: (wipes crap from the reg), then they run happily anyway proves what a waste of space it is.

Roger Hunt
13-07-2010, 06:25 PM
I use Revo Hunter mode to find things not listed in the list that comes up in normal mode with Revo.