PDA

View Full Version : GSM and CDMA phones - Caveat emptor?

WalOne
13-07-2010, 01:50 PM
There's a number of Blackberry 8830 phones appearing on the Trademe site. From what I can gather, these devices operate on 2G Network GSM 900 / 1800 / CDMA2000 1x EV-DO. The price is attractive as they appear to be selling around the <$100 mark, and I urgently need to replace my RAZR3 that fell victim to a very large canine tooth (still attached to the canine). As a recent candidate to the ranks of grey power, I need to watch the $$$'s, so something like this would be suitable, albeit a discontinued model.

I guess with Telecom shutting down their CDMA network, these phones will be next to useless, but as I understand it they should operate on Vodaphone GSM OK, except without the bells and whistles of XT devices. Is this what is factoring the low pricing, or are there other market forces at play? Are there other considerations I need to be aware of?

:confused:

paulw
13-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Even if Telecom was not shutting down the CDMA network they would be next to useless as Telecom would not connect imported fones to their network. These old fones are most likely x Verizon and Sprint model. Unfortunatly a lot of the fones being sold on Trademe and Chinese imports are all GSM only no 3G.

zyy2010
13-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Does this means the GSM and CDMA phones can not use in the future?

paulw
13-07-2010, 05:43 PM
GSM on Vodafone and 2degrees for a some years yet I imagine but not on Telecom XT (no GSM) CDMA gets turned off in 2012 so if you have a working Telecom CDMA fone you should still get a couple of good years out of it..