PDA

View Full Version : WD TV Mini playing 5% - 6% slow

BBCmicro
13-07-2010, 10:54 AM
I bought one of these $69 media players for a relative and am now re-formatting family HD movies to SD. (It plays SD only - from a USB port. FAT/NTFS/HFS+).

Using Xmedia Recode to do the reformatting of MPEG-2 full-HD and HDV movies to 720 x 408 (the widescreen version of 720 x 576) the results play perfectly on PC-based media players but are about 5 - 6% slow on the WD TV Mini. (an extra 15s on a clip 4m30s) The pictures are fine but the sound is not acceptable

It's hard to blame Xmedia when the results play OK in VLC and WMP12. It's also hard to blame the WD TV Mini when it plays ISOs fine. (Yes it plays MPEG-2 ISOs!). I think it is OK on SD mpg files if they have been created in that format, not reformatted by Xmedia.

I tried setting 24p in Xmedia instead of 25p - it was still slow. (I am assuming Xmedia took notice of the setting - it seems to ignore file destination, for example, the first time you set it.) But anyway the slowness would appear to be more than the 4% difference between 25 and 24

Any ideas?

[I am impressed with the WD TV Mini (from DSE). For your $69 you get component and composite cables and a remote. It has a good powerpack and a reasonable GUI. It has an onscreen keyboard and you can copy files between USB drives via a hub. You can FFwd etc, zoom the picture, play jpeg and TIF to 8000 x 8000 px, mp3 to 320kbps. In addition to MPEG-2 ISOs and to MPEG1 and 2 inside mpg, it plays Xvid and MJPEG inside avi, MPEG-4 inside mp4 and mkv. It also does H263 and MPEG-4 in mov and 3gp but only to 640 x 480. Annoyingly, it does RealMedia at 1024 x 576. Wish mpg did that.]

Chilling_Silence
13-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Use a different app, try Handbrake ( http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php ), it sounds like Xmedia is not decoding / encoding it correctly.

This may also be of interest to you:
http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Telecine

BBCmicro
13-07-2010, 02:10 PM
try Handbrake

Thanks. The tutorial on telecine is impressive. I note that Handbrake is a French domain so could well have skills in converting NTSC

For some reason I had always associated Handbrake with Macs (perhaps a connection with Boxee