PDA

View Full Version : Dell Inspiron 1720 not booting

vlauricella
13-07-2010, 07:07 AM
I have a Dell Inspiron 1720, and it's not booting. Before I get any deeper, I just want to state that I am not a technician, and only know a few things here and there, so try not to lose me if you have any suggestions. :-) The computer is about 2 years old (specs will follow) and had been running flawlessly until it gave a memory error and wouldn't start. After removing the stick in DIMM B, it worked fine, so I deduced that it was just a bad stick and I bought another stick of 2GB G.Skill RAM, threw it in DIMM B, and all was well. About a week later however, more serious problems. POST is not completing, the screen is not turning on, and the HDD light comes on for a second, then dies out and nothing happens. Switched up the RAM sticks, still nothing. When I turn it on without the hard drive in, the screen comes on and says "no bootable devices". With the hard drive in and both memory sticks out, the scroll and caps lights blink, but no screen. Bad hard drive? Bad CPU? Bad motherboard? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Dell Inspiron 1720
4GB DDR2 SDRAM (2 x 2GB)
Hard Drive, 250GB, Serial ATA 9.5, 5.4K, H125
Processor, T5550, 1.83, 2MB Core Merom, M0

Windows Vista was preinstalled but it's been running Windows 7 for a few months.

-Vinny

pctek
13-07-2010, 08:48 AM
At a guess bad motherboard.

angry
14-07-2010, 01:40 AM
At a guess bad motherboard.

second that, have you been using a cooler pad? 2 years is a little early for that type of failure on one of those, its only a 1.8 are you shure of the age??

check here

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/product_support/product_support_central