PDA

View Full Version : Wireless internet connection

DavidHollis
12-07-2010, 08:40 PM
I have switched from dialup to broadband with xtra. I received my wireless modem and set it up as per instructions. It works fine when connected to my pc via the ethernet cable but I cannot get it to work wirelessly. Telecom thinks it is a software issue. My wireless network icon cannot detect any wireless networks. My wireless card is a Accton WN4201B(EU) 802.11g. My computer is a compaq presario with windows XP. Maybe I need to update the driver but trying to find the right one is proving difficult. Any help would be much appreciatted.

Nomad
12-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Is the (SSID) wireless network not visible or hidden in the router setup?

Shouldn't be cos routers are shipped being visible for the ease of setup (marketing). But check.
I assume the router is g too right? But again a n series router should work with g as well out of the box. Check the settings too on this.

Speedy Gonzales
12-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Is SP3 on the XP PC?? It'll work better with SP3. But before you install this (if SP3 isnt installed), is it AMD?

DavidHollis
12-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Nothing is visable in the "Choose a wireless network" dialog box. Telecom told me how to install it manually but that doesnt come up in the wireless network list either.

Nomad
12-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Look at the manual for the router, it will say to type in a IP address in your internet browser and then put in a login name and password. In there will be your router setup. Check the settings.

DavidHollis
12-07-2010, 08:48 PM
OK thanks

pctek
12-07-2010, 09:08 PM
I It works fine when connected to my pc via the ethernet cable but I cannot get it to work wirelessly. My wireless network icon cannot detect any wireless networks. My wireless card is a Accton WN4201B(EU) 802.11g. Maybe I need to update the driver but trying to find the right one is proving difficult. Any help would be much appreciatted.

The modem works with g wireless? Not just N or something?
The wireless cards driver is not showing any issues in Device Manager - which it would if the driver had a problem,.

Does the card have its own connection software or is the only choice WIndows?

MushHead
12-07-2010, 10:36 PM
+1 for Nomad's idea - the WiFi on the router may be turned off by default.

Despite the fact that turning wireless on by default might make it easier to market, the only real factory option is for it to be on with no encryption, which arguably would be as bad as leaving it off - you really need to set this up manually, as you'll need to specify encryption keys for WPA2, etc., to get it secured anyway. Check the router's internal configuration page out via your browser, turn on the radio to test that your PC can see it, then switch on the best security option your software supports - WPA2 if possible, otherwise WPA.