PDA

View Full Version : HD - soldering the cable on it.

Nomad
12-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Hi, I have a 500GB Seagate which the plastic around the data connector has come off completely.

It won't be my main drive.

I thought about cutting a SATA cable and solder the wires onto the HD, assuming the cable is just serial. Would it work? I can push one pin up and the next one down to give me a bit more working space.

:)

pctek
12-07-2010, 09:06 PM
This is a sata drive? Hmmm, might work if you use a low temp soldering iron, I wouldn't risk a normal one.

But then I've broken the drive end of a sata drive once, just fitted the cable over it and not moving it or the case again, it was fine without any attachment.

Nomad
12-07-2010, 10:40 PM
thanks, i will give it a shot.
i will try the cellotape approach first and see how long that last for.

MushHead
12-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Does SATA use twisted-pair wires internally? If so, you'll have to be careful cutting the end off to make sure you've got the right conductors.

You also mention pins on the connector - I thought SATA just used a direct trace on the PCB? - you won't be able to move those, surely?

Nomad
12-07-2010, 10:49 PM
no idea about twisted stuff hope not :p or break open the connector to see how they are.

those pins yeah it's movable cos the whole plastic is gone.
there are just 4 individual pins now left.
will try the cellotape method first cos without it the cable is too flimsy it falls off after i take my hands off it.

bk T
12-07-2010, 10:53 PM
But then I've broken the drive end of a sata drive once, just fitted the cable over it and not moving it or the case again, it was fine without any attachment.

A hot glue gun will probably help to secure the connection in place.

pctek
13-07-2010, 08:53 AM
Hot glue won't work, it will cause problems - I've seen 2 that people tried that with. One killed the HDD totally.

brig
13-07-2010, 12:17 PM
A hot glue gun will probably help to secure the connection in place.

I also broke the sides of the first SATA HD I had, and learned very quickly to be more careful.

Tried hot glue but not enough adhesion to work as a permanent fix.

Finally I bound the HD lead and the power lead together very tightly with two cable ties to give a satisfactory solution that has been trouble free for a year or more now.

I can post a photo if you can't figure it out.

Did I read somewhere recently that an improved SATA "contained" connector has been designed that presumably stops wiggling from side to side which is how I broke mine?