PDA

View Full Version : Quirky Reg "hack"

GreacherTech
12-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Hello all

I recently bought a brand new machine and added in my PATA HDD along side my SATA one.

But I have found that when I try to run programs from the seconday PATA drive they are always missing one file or another and I believe the reason to this is because they are trying to access the registry on the new machine's C drive and of course there is nothing there, so what I would like to know is this:

Is there a way of exporting the registry from my G drive to my C drive so when I do run applications they open correctly, also how would I get around to doing this.

Cheers heaps

GT

Speedy Gonzales
12-07-2010, 11:38 AM
No, it usually doesnt work that way (if programs are on another hdd). You're right, it'll be looking for the reg info etc on C. If it cant find it, it wont work properly.

Probably better to format the other hdd, and install the program again. If you want to use it. You could probably add info to the reg, if you know what to add. BUT, some programs put HEAPS of entries in the
registry. Extra hdds are usually used to install another OS on or backup on. Not to run programs from (if you didn't boot from it). Only way you can get both to boot, is reformat both (but then the new one's OS was on the hdd already). If you had built it, you could have left the old hdd in then installed an OS on the new one. Then you'll have the option to boot from either hdd

GreacherTech
12-07-2010, 11:44 AM
I know but it was the HDD from my other computer that had all my programs on, also I don't have any of the installers.

some programs may put HEAPS of entries into the reg but can't you just export the whole key and with that it will export all the sub-keys and sub sub-keys?

Speedy Gonzales
12-07-2010, 11:47 AM
some programs may put HEAPS of entries into the reg but can't you just export the whole key and with that it will export all the sub-keys and sub sub-keys?

Well you can, if you can find ALL of the entries, they're usually not in the same place in the registry. You would have to find ALL the reg entries, all the folders, it creates, all the txt files / settings it needs / uses. It'll be easier to reinstall the program on the new system. If there's no installers, and the program / install is on the net, download then install it. If its not on the net, well not much you can do about it