PDA

View Full Version : PressF1 Debate

Renmoo
11-07-2010, 08:50 PM
The primary intention of starting this thread is to find out how many members are keen to take part in the next wave of virtual debate. When I said "keen", I mean members who will not pull out halfway through a debate or those who choose to forfeit themselves at the last minute due to miscellaneous reasons.

Cheers :)

Chilling_Silence
11-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Do we have a topic? Then I'll vote on being keen or not :p

Snorkbox
11-07-2010, 09:48 PM
I'll be a starter when the topic and rules are worked out.

goodiesguy
11-07-2010, 09:50 PM
i'm keen to debate. i'm good at it

qazwsxokmijn
11-07-2010, 09:55 PM
i'm keen to debate. i'm good at it
O rly?

goodiesguy
11-07-2010, 09:58 PM
i thought it would be obvious

somebody
11-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Since this is a computer/tech forum, how about something like: "This House would abolish the concept of intellectual property."

angry
11-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Since this is a computer/tech forum, how about something like: "This House would abolish the concept of intellectual property."

and then most techs would cease to publish their new material, progress would slow to a crawl, the longer a life, the longer people would sit on their discoveries/innovations = downward spiral of progress.

The Error Guy
11-07-2010, 10:35 PM
I'd be keen. lets debate on whether or not to hold debates, The rules are the are no rules. there is a law though. the law states rule breakers will be exported to Sealand with Roy Bates

Metla
11-07-2010, 10:41 PM
and then most techs would cease to publish their new material, progress would slow to a crawl, the longer a life, the longer people would sit on their discoveries/innovations = downward spiral of progress.

Yep, take away the motivation of personal gain and nobody is going to do anything. Replace it with everybody else gains from it apart from the creator and...wait, this is silly.

Who would go to work if all of a sudden the boss said from now on there is no pay....

Not me.

qazwsxokmijn
11-07-2010, 11:04 PM
i thought it would be obvious
Are you kidding? Essential to a good debate is a firm grasp on literacy, ability to produce sound and logical points supported by proper evidence and the ability to remember one's own points.

I'm not meaning to flame or anything, but in the last argument we had you expressed none of the aforementioned qualities.

Metla
11-07-2010, 11:35 PM
I'm not meaning to flame or anything, but in the last argument we had you expressed none of the aforementioned qualities.

Oh how I laughed and laughed.:devil

Chilling_Silence
12-07-2010, 12:37 AM

Yup, I'm in!

Renmoo
12-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Me, Chill, goodieguy, qazwsxokmijn(?), Snorkbox, The Error Guy, angry(?)

somebody
12-07-2010, 08:29 AM
Yep, take away the motivation of personal gain and nobody is going to do anything. Replace it with everybody else gains from it apart from the creator and...wait, this is silly.

Who would go to work if all of a sudden the boss said from now on there is no pay....

Not me.

That's what makes it a good topic - there's lots to argue about.

Snorkbox
12-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Can we assume that the rules will be similar to this thread?

http://www.pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=101166&highlight=great+debate

GreacherTech
12-07-2010, 12:30 PM
I would be interested, as long as Goodiesguy wasn't, I firmly agree with what qazwsxokmijn said earlier in post #11

The Error Guy
12-07-2010, 06:43 PM
I prefer Voice debate, get the tone going etc. typing i lose the focus a bit. still if NCEA likes it it MUST be boring!!!

Renmoo
12-07-2010, 08:41 PM
I prefer Voice debate, get the tone going etc. typing i lose the focus a bit. still if NCEA likes it it MUST be boring!!!
So no-go from you?

pctek
12-07-2010, 08:58 PM
I would depending on the topic. Which matters as I may not have anything useful to say....or maybe I would......

somebody
12-07-2010, 09:15 PM
How about some of these:

This house would lift the international ban on whaling.
That alcohol advertising should be banned.
That we should raise the drinking age back to 20.
That our schools should teach Asian second languages before European second languages.
This house would boycott companies which use sweatshop labour.
That public figures have a right to private lives.

Metla
12-07-2010, 09:23 PM
I'd be keen on a feed of whale.

Or Dolphin.

How about a seafood salad,whale+dolphin....mmmmmm

goodiesguy
12-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Are you kidding? Essential to a good debate is a firm grasp on literacy, ability to produce sound and logical points supported by proper evidence and the ability to remember one's own points.

i do have most of those abilities. i just don't use them here

angry
12-07-2010, 09:52 PM
I'd be keen on a feed of whale.

Or Dolphin.

How about a seafood salad,whale+dolphin....mmmmmm

whale is VERY STRONG and oily, stick to eye fillet old chap.:yuck:

Jen
12-07-2010, 10:03 PM
I think good on anyone who do stick their necks out and participates in a debate. Many around here like to spout off all sorts of opinions, yet are too chicken to be judged in an organised debate.

On that note, why shouldn't goodiesguy put his hand up. This is his chance to prove you wrong. However, I would strongly suggest he is not in the same team as qazwsxokmijn ...

BTW, the PF1 server ntpd needs a kick up the pants - we are gaining time again. :eek:

angry
12-07-2010, 10:28 PM
How about some of these:

This house would lift the international ban on whaling.
That alcohol advertising should be banned.
That we should raise the drinking age back to 20.
That our schools should teach Asian second languages before European second languages.
That public figures have a right to private lives.

1 That we should raise the drinking age back to 20.
2 That alcohol advertising should be banned.
3 That public figures have a right to private lives.
4 That our schools should teach Asian second languages before European second languages.

Chilling_Silence
12-07-2010, 11:01 PM
I still like the original idea. Also posting to check the date / time in case it needs modification ...

Edit: 3 minutes behind by my count ...

Snorkbox
13-07-2010, 02:19 PM
I still like the original idea. Also posting to check the date / time in case it needs modification ...

Edit: 3 minutes behind by my count ...

But debating "This House would abolish the concept of intellectual property." could surely bring up discussion of ways of avoiding copyright which is against PressF1 terms and conditions.

I suggest one of the other topics instead.

Chilling_Silence
13-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Its still worth debating IMO

angry
13-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Its still worth debating IMO

could be a good skill tester to sucsessfully debate something pointless that will never happen i suppose.

xyz823
13-07-2010, 11:44 PM

What happened between youse two recently? I go overseas for a week or so and come back I appear to have missed out on something vital?!?

Anyone care to enlighten me???

goodiesguy
14-07-2010, 12:18 AM
it was a mass debate about me having no clue to how much a pc cost. the pc in question has some decent specs so i suggested 1 to $2000. qazwsxokmijn went on to tell me that i had no clue. this argument went on for sometime untill the posts were deleted

Erayd
14-07-2010, 12:56 AM
I'm keen for another debate... count me in!

Renmoo
16-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Report in, those who want to participate in the debate.

The Error Guy
16-07-2010, 05:43 PM
report where? i'm willing

Erayd
16-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Reporting.

Renmoo
16-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Me, TEG, Erayd, Snorkbox, C_S

Snorkbox
16-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Yep. As mentioned before I'm up for it.

angry
16-07-2010, 08:00 PM
what are the rules and the times I don't want to say in, and then have other commitments.

goodiesguy
16-07-2010, 08:17 PM
im in

qazwsxokmijn
16-07-2010, 08:35 PM
This will be interesting to see......

(I'm not in)

Renmoo
16-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Me, TEG, Erayd, Snorkbox, C_S, goodiesguy - we've got 6 people = team of 3.

Snorkbox
17-07-2010, 05:50 PM
OK. Two teams of three then.

Are the teams drawn yet?

Have we decided on the topic?

Have we drawn up the rules?

When are we going to start?

Who is going to rule on various matters like what happens if the debaters don't post on time or in fact drop out?

Erayd
18-08-2010, 12:22 AM
So... what's the story with this?

Jamuz, are you organising, or were you just checking to see who was interested?

Chilling_Silence
18-08-2010, 10:03 AM
I'll be a fill in, if anybody drops out then :)

Renmoo
18-08-2010, 07:16 PM
So... what's the story with this?

Jamuz, are you organising, or were you just checking to see who was interested?
The plan was to find out who's interested. I was hoping that somebody could be the umpire again, but I was informed that he's been quite busy.

somebody
21-08-2010, 10:59 AM
The plan was to find out who's interested. I was hoping that somebody could be the umpire again, but I was informed that he's been quite busy.

As per my discussion with Erayd I'll try to moderate the debate, but cannot guarantee as much involvement as previous debates.

Proposed format (largely copied/pasted from the first debate):

This will be a formal debate between two teams of three members. Each team member is allowed one post. Each also team is allowed one additional concluding/summarising post at the end of the debate, which can be from any member in a team (preferably with the agreement of other team members).

The rules are as follows:
- Each debater will have up to 2000 words to state their argument. Debaters may (and should) build on the arguments presented by their teammates, and rebut arguments by the opposition.
- Debaters are encouraged to use whatever resources they have to research the topic.
- There is to be no more than 48 hours between posts - i.e. the first "speaker" of the negative team must post an argument within 48hrs after the first "speaker" of the affirmative team has posted their opening case. If you are unable to post within the 48hr window you are deemed to have forfeited your turn. Other team members may not fill in for you unless the opposing team agrees to such a substitution.
- Posting must alternate between teams - i.e. First Affirmative, First Negative, Second Affirmative, Second Negative, Third Affirmative, Third Negative.
- As is customary, summaries will be delivered by the Negative team first.
- New substantive points may not be introduced in the final concluding/summarising posts.

Guidelines for teams:
- Standard PF1 rules and ettiquite apply - so no personal attacks, no txt speak etc.
- Rule clarifications can be made by sending me a PM
- Speaking order can be decided by your team, however must be decided in advance (and announced in the first speaker's post)
- You may (and should!!!) discuss arguments with your teammates, and consult any resource you wish
- The 2000 word limit is an absolute limit. You are under no obligation to write 2000 words (I would expect that 1000 words per debater will probably be sufficient)
- Links/references - please do not post links to external resources and expect people to read them as part of your argument. You are encouraged however to cite relevant sources, for example, "according to a report by the United Nations in 2007...26.8% of blah blah blah" and include a link at the end of your post so people who are interested can read further.

Topic and team selection:
Anyone who wishes to participate in this debate shall rank the following topics from 1 to 3 in order of preference - i.e. your preferred topic would be ranked #1, and so on. The topic with the highest overall ranking will be debated.

- That we should raise the drinking age back to 20.
- This house supports patents for computer software.
- This house would abolish the welfare state.

The first 6 people to PM me with their responses will take part in this debate. Teams will be drawn from a hat, and sides decided by a coin toss. Please be aware that you may end up arguing a position which you may not personally support.

Snorkbox
24-08-2010, 11:28 PM
*Bump*

Apparently only two takers for this so far. Anyone else?

Erayd
25-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Looks like it's just you & me so far Snorkbox... c'mon guys, let's see some hands raised!

Renmoo
25-08-2010, 08:36 PM
All right, count me in.

Chilling_Silence
25-08-2010, 08:55 PM
I PM'd somebody :)

somebody
25-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Please PM me with your ranking of the three topics (yes, I'm looking at you Jamuz and Snorkbox)

Snorkbox
25-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Please PM me with your ranking of the three topics (yes, I'm looking at you Jamuz and Snorkbox)

Done.

Erayd
01-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Anyone else?

Snorkbox
01-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Two teams of two?

Or all those lurking could join the debate. We only need two more.

qazwsxokmijn
01-09-2010, 04:19 PM
PM goodiesguy, he expressed keen interest before.

plod
01-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Why not bring angry back for it.

qazwsxokmijn
01-09-2010, 07:53 PM
:lol:

Renmoo
01-09-2010, 09:58 PM
There will be a lot of commitment of red herring.