PDA

View Full Version : WinPE and Imagex problems

dotbond
11-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Hi.

I have been trying to get Imagex and WinPe working using Win7 32bit.
I created a bootable iso DVD with boot.wim and ImageX as per MS instructions. WinPE loads into X:\ which is RAM and comes up with the command prompt window with

X:\windows\system32>wpeinit
X:\windows\system32>

when I type the "imagex /capture blah blah blah " command, I get an error saying imagex is not a recognised program, file, command.....

I know imagex.exe is included on the disc, see attached image.

So any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks
Trev

ryanjames.powell
11-07-2010, 09:40 PM
When you just type imagex, it will look for it in X:\Windows\System32

By default, the Windows PE image does not include it in this location. It is recommended to copy it here when setting up your boot image. You should be able to run ImageX from the disc though, provided that the disc has a drive letter in Windows PE.

eg D:\imagex where D: is the DVD drive

dotbond
11-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Is there a command I can use to list the drives that WinPe can see?

wainuitech
11-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Change to the Drive you think Imagex May be on D: or E: once it shows you have logged into the drive, type DIR & press enter. That will show the contents of the drive ( CD).

Once you have the right drive, then to capture an image, lets say its the CD is drive E you have to tell it where to save the image, this can be either on the actual HDD ( which will be C:, or on a network Location, or Even a External HDD, but you you have to know the External HDD's drive letter.

Edited:
I capture images to one of my servers. first I have to log the WINPE into the server. The server is called Smallbus with a folder called Images.

So the whole command to capture an image to the C: drive and simply copy paste it to another location later with the OS being W7Hpre is:

E:\imagex.exe /capture C: C:\install.wim "Win7HP" /compress fast /verify

I then reboot the PC, and copy it to the server/Images folder.

To image it back to a New PC I boot from the WINPE CD , log into the server and image it across the LAN to a fresh HDD.

the full commands are:

net use y: \\smallbus\images

E:imagex.exe /apply \\smallbus\images\Win7HP.wim 1 D:

wait 5 minutes and all working new OS installed

Note: "Win7HP" can be called anything you like, but you must have the " in place.

dotbond
11-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Thanks wainuitech, I have managed to make a copy finally. Also did some more research on commands to use as well. mountvol gave me a list of drives.

It turns out my operating system when using WinPE was on D: drive, not C: so my command to capture an image was:
F:\imagex.exe /capture D: E:\myWinPEImage.wim "TrevsWINPE" /compress none

It seems to have worked, took about 7 minutes and ended up with a 5.8GB file.

When I originally tried the command using C: as the drive to capture it took about 1 second and I ended up with a 15MB file. Could this be because Win 7 creates a 100MB partition as well?

I will wipe the drive tomorrow and see if i can apply the captured image.

wainuitech
12-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Good that it worked OK.

One thing I did find, the drive letters are not always what you may expect.

Done it many times, and sometimes the Main OS seems to install on the C other times D drive. BUT when its finally installed back onto a drive "usually" the OS ends up on C, even with the hidden partition.

IF when you image it back, it doesn't boot, simply boot from a W7 recovery CD, tell it to repair, and it usually fixes the problem, sometimes you have to run through the repair CD twice.

dotbond
12-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Well, just applied the captured image without any issues. :thumbs:

Thank you all for all the help.

Now to have a go at sysprep and dism.

Trev