PDA

View Full Version : Great service from Telecom

Nomad
11-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Friday
My phones had heaps of static, we rang 123 at 9pm, the guy called me back on my mobile and did some tests on my line, then I was asked to pull all cables off for them to do another test. They isolated the problem on the phone. They offered a temporary diversion service to our mobile phone but we declined.

Saturday
Chorus came over and ran some test at a wall and said he will get the cables guys out

Sunday
He incorrectly advised Chorus again so 12pm another Chorus guy came but 4.30pm he rewired our lines temporarily and says the cable guy may come on Monday, but it's not impt cos we have a temporary service.

2 days without Internet wasn't that bad.
All the call centre operators I have dealt with have always been professional. This includes Telecom, Xnet, Actrix, Vodafone, 2 Degrees, Clear. One may complain of long queues but you could call them at unusual times like 7am's, even some govt depts with manpower in NZ will have long queues too. Having worked in them in the past they have a few hundred CSRs employed.

From the heated post I hear here. Maybe Telecom could of marketed their all you can eat plans better and maybe they can be cheaper. However in the NZ context, some may say it's expected. Surely some of those who were on all you can eat plans got a pretty good deal. Please try to pay those for yourself.

Talking about diff areas. I am about 10km north of Wellington CBD. From what I read some folks in Taupo get better speed than what I get here. For the remote areas, it's expected, even places like France or Japan some areas you would be lucky to get cellular broadband (if that at all).

Arguably inflation has increased over the years and for example food prices have increased, however Internet prices has remained static or even decreased by the few. You could also argue that inflation has increased, internet prices has been static - that has been a decrease in the internet prices.

Internet prices has pretty much been about 10GB for $50 arn't it? I know Xnet for the last 4 years has not changed one cent, other than cancelling the availability of their 256k to new clients. A few ISPs have given a $5 discount if you swap your tolls over. A few also have decreased their plans by a further $5 (like Actrix). But pretty much they are unchanged by the mass.

Yes, some may argue that NZ is not a mobile world given these gadgets we can get today, or that we cannot stream video and not worry about our usage. If one looks at the NZ context internet is one of the many items that NZ lags behind. IMO this is how NZ is like. But then again NZ may have other advantages compared to other countries.

Cicero
11-07-2010, 05:07 PM
To précis that,they are quite acceptable, you think?

Nomad
11-07-2010, 05:11 PM
To précis that,they are quite acceptable, you think?

Yes certainly in the NZ context.

PS. I travel freq overseas and have family in Asia and Canada. If we get the NZ Telecom service overseas I would be wrapped. It's just the price that they charge and the included GBs.

I recall we were at HKG, my aunt got a international prepaid simcard and she tried to use it in South China, it wouldn't work, she had to use my NZ Vodafone roaming mobile phone :p

Chilling_Silence
11-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Good to hear some nice feedback on a company for a change :D Especially considering you initially rang at 9PM when most helpdesks are closed or running on skeleton staff at least.

Nomad
11-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Good to hear some nice feedback on a company for a change :D Especially considering you initially rang at 9PM when most helpdesks are closed or running on skeleton staff at least.

Faults are open then ... :)

R2x1
11-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Good service (except for not fixing it). Used to be, when a tech arrived he fixed it, not initiated a round of visits..
Still, way better than average for the # mob.

BTW, did they offer to take you trout fishing perchance? It's one of their strong suits. ;)

Nomad
11-07-2010, 09:38 PM
I retested the speed, before I had 3Mbit but there was no static. Now with the temp line, I get 5.75Mbit :waughh:
We're on ADSL1 hardware. FS/128 speed.

The Error Guy
11-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Lucky, usually they are OK, but our line "dies" (phone rings once then cuts off) in a recurring pattern of 4-6 mths, every time they say oh some solder got on the wires or a wire was corroded. It happened again this week and the help desk girl wanted us to go through the process of un plugging everything, test it one by one for about the 3rd time in 12 months. we explained the situation and that we have tested all our hardware and its most likely a telecom fault. she refused to accept this notion and it got quite heated :rolleyes: We also rang quite late, 9,9:30 ish. quite surprised to get an answer!

Anyway I dont see how we can get affected by repeated solder drips and corroded wires. either they are very careless or running out of cover ups. when Customer service is good its very good but when it goes bad it goes baaaad.

In terms of XT, it wasn't exactly telecoms fault. the service is maintained by another company (telecom have taken them to court over damages last I heard) Telecom is the big face everyone sees and throws abuse at. you rarely hear the good. only the negative. In my eyes ANY new network or service will have faults. telecom was just a bit too faulty with too much attention.

Overall they are a good bunch who get played off by their contractors a bit it seems. and blame customers for their inability to properly manage a network (bigtime)

pctek
12-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Friday
My phones had heaps of static

he rewired our lines temporarily and says the cable guy may come on Monday, but it's not impt cos we have a temporary service.

2 days without Internet wasn't that bad.

If one looks at the NZ context internet is one of the many items that NZ lags behind. IMO this is how NZ is like. But then again NZ may have other advantages compared to other countries.

And how is that great service?
I could tell you a better one from Orcon but that might get the chorus guy in trouble so I won't.

Nomad
12-07-2010, 08:16 AM
Well given the issue, everyone can make mistakes, it's human, I don't call myself a perfectionist either. But we got a working line on Sunday is fantastic.

IMO it's like if some think internet is a human right or something and that they need it 24/7 gauranteed or else kinda thing ... :groan:

Yes, NZ is not as great as some other countries but hey it's NZ. There are people who choose to live in NZ in these sub standard things but you don't have to work your ass off. Welfare benefits would be lucky for the many in sick, jobless or even students.

PS.
I recall the moderator on Geekzone said that in the avg USA speed is lower than NZ's. Try to live in Asia and work your ass off. If you struggle only a few would be interested in helping plus you will lose face. Live in a apartment or a business hotel that might be the size of a single garage - I have lived there. If you have family, the children to sleep in bunk beds till they get married and the adults have a room that the width size is the length of the bed, if one person wanna get out he/she has to leap over the other.

R2x1
12-07-2010, 01:07 PM
OK, Telecom are great, we all salute them, but I don't think that a seat on the United Nations or a Nobel Prize is quite justified yet.
Perhaps when a limp patch-job within a week is no longer cause for cheering and a party, they can be accepted as saviours of the digital universe. ;)
I still won't patronise them though, even with free trout.

bk T
12-07-2010, 01:53 PM
To be fair, I personally think that Telecom's service has improved a lot - I would say that they are as good as any of their competitors, if not better!

Battleneter2
12-07-2010, 04:07 PM
To be fair, I personally think that Telecom's service has improved a lot - I would say that they are as good as any of their competitors, if not better!

Telecoms share price reflects there performance over the last 10 years :)

Maybe there improvement in service is due to a exodus of customers lol

R2x1
12-07-2010, 09:04 PM
The only thing telecom excel at is making their competitors look good. In the case of one competitor, that is no mean feat. ;)

Battleneter2
13-07-2010, 11:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD9-qZE6fII