PDA

View Full Version : Random Beeps

bk T
11-07-2010, 11:04 AM
My computer beeps randomly, it's weird. After the POST beep (one short beep - OK), there's a long, continuous beep until Win7's logon screen, then it stops. Sometimes, there's some short beeps, long beeps, etc., no specific order. Win7 loads OK and all applications works fine, though. But, when I restart the computer there's no beep. When the computer shuts down, press the start switch again, the POST beep (one short) and it starts loading Windows normally. After the computer is shut down for 2 - hours, it beeps abnormally as described above.

It's a Gigabye EP45-DS4P MB, with the latest BIOS update, Win 7 Ult with the latest updates, too. Could it be that the temperature is too low when starting the PC? LOL. It's in a room temperature of 15-20 deg.

The after POS beep is really annoying:badpc: . Thinking of reloading Win7 but it's just too much of time and hassle, afterall, there's no problem with the OS. I'm running out of ideas. Any suggestions, please.

pctek
11-07-2010, 11:40 AM
You have a graphics card in this? Got both power connectors plugged into it?

feersumendjinn
11-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Defective motherboard?
Is ok after it warms up? (Possible dry solder joints?).

bk T
11-07-2010, 11:57 AM
You have a graphics card in this? Got both power connectors plugged into it?

Yes. It's Gigabyte HD 4850. There is only one power connector which is plugged in.

bk T
11-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Defective motherboard?
Is ok after it warms up? (Possible dry solder joints?).

Possible - but sadly, 12 months warranty is over. :(

feersumendjinn
11-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Are you sure about that?, Gigabyte have a 3 year manufacturers warranty on most mobos, on their video cards too.

wainuitech
11-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Are you sure about that?, Gigabyte have a 3 year manufacturers warranty on most mobos, on their video cards too. YEP ! they do.

What happens the shop only puts on a one year warranty -- then says its out of its warranty if it fails after a year -- they claim the warranty from the supplier on a replacement board/Card, then charge the customer for a new part -- they make $$ while the customer is ripped out of two years.

Thats where any GOOD PC shop, will honor the actual warranty the manufacture puts on the parts. You may get charged for labor though.

bk T
11-07-2010, 03:43 PM
YEP ! they do.

What happens the shop only puts on a one year warranty -- then says its out of its warranty if it fails after a year -- they claim the warranty from the supplier on a replacement board/Card, then charge the customer for a new part -- they make $$ while the customer is ripped out of two years.

Thats where any GOOD PC shop, will honor the actual warranty the manufacture puts on the parts. You may get charged for labor though.

OK. If that is the case, how do I go about to claim the 3 yrs manufacturer's warranty? I bought this mb from PB tech in Oct 2008, rang them and was told that it's only 12 months warranty.

Does Gigabyte have an office in NZ where I can contact them re this matter?

Cheers.

STP. Just rang PB Tech again and was told that it has a 3 yrs warranty! That sounds good.

gcarmich
11-07-2010, 03:49 PM
They will have heard of the CGA and will be hoping that you haven't.

pctek
11-07-2010, 03:57 PM
I bought this mb from PB tech in Oct 2008, rang them and was told that it's only 12 months warranty.

PB does that. Mentioning CGAs and Disputes works wonders.

bk T
11-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Now, how do I RMA the MB? Pull it out, remove everything including The CPU, RAM, etc., etc., put it in the box (I still have the original box) send it back to PB, right?

Question: How long do they usual take (from your experience) to get it back, 1 week, 2 weeks? Oh dear, I'll be without a PC for weeks!

gcarmich
11-07-2010, 04:09 PM
There is obviously something faulty but it may not be the motherboard. However they sold you a whole computer so the CGA applies to the whole computer.

Think about it, you send only part of a faulty TV back to the retailer what do you think they would say or do ? A computer is really not that much different in that context.

wainuitech
11-07-2010, 04:24 PM
IF it is the board thats faulty,(It may be some other component though) then its still under the manufactures warranty Gigabyte site (http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2839) As per the warranty site
Warranty Period by Product

# Motherboards

o All motherboards (besides Micro ITX) carry a 3 year warranty.
Micro ITX motherboards carry only 15 months limited warranty. You may also find its the Graphic Gard -- Could be dust/Dirt in the PCI-E Slot causing momentarily lose of contact. Have you tried removing the card and blowing out any crap.

Warranty work they dont exactly "rush" -- So depending on available replacement from the suppliers, how much work the place has on ( testing of components to warranty) 1-2 weeks is normal.

Under the CGA they mentioned
How long should repairs take?

It depends on the type of problem, and whether parts need to be sent back to the manufacturer. Some retailers tell us they aim to fix problems within two days, but in our opinion two to three weeks is more likely.

bk T
11-07-2010, 05:34 PM
... You may also find its the Graphic Gard -- Could be dust/Dirt in the PCI-E Slot causing momentarily lose of contact. Have you tried removing the card and blowing out any crap.

Done that. It has been bothering me for quite a while already. 'Cause it's intermittent but it is more often now, almost every time when I turn the computer ON when cold (after at OFF for > 1 hour) it beeps like crazy, annoying. But Win 7 loads fine though. That's why I did not take any action earlier. Probably it's time for action now.

What other steps should you learned people suggest I should do before send it off? I am thinking of disconnect the HDD (with Win 7 and all my applications), put in a another HDD (which I have a spare), load Windows ,
to see whether it beeps or not. etc.

Lurking
11-07-2010, 05:46 PM
If you bought the pc as a complete unit and start looking inside yourself, then the CGA will not apply, one would have thought.

Even if you have stuck something in yourself, after purchase, they will shrug their shoulders.

Take it back as you bought it.

Lurking.

gcarmich
11-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Just be sure its not a software issue.

bk T
11-07-2010, 05:54 PM
If you bought the pc as a complete unit and start looking inside yourself, then the CGA will not apply, one would have thought.

Even if you have stuck something in yourself, after purchase, they will shrug their shoulders.

Take it back as you bought it.

Lurking.

No. I bought all the parts and built it myself.

That's why I intend to remove the existing HDD, put in another one and load Windows just to rule out software possibilities.

But, as I mentioned earlier, it doesn't (occasionally does) beep when it's warm, but beeps every time when it's cold. This seems to suggest it's a hardware issue, right?

gcarmich
11-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Ah, if you bought parts then its up to you to find out which part is fauly, send a non faulty part back and they may charge you.

gary67
11-07-2010, 08:06 PM
You could try booting of a linux CD and run it from the CD to see if it beeps when loading

bk T
11-07-2010, 09:49 PM
You could try booting of a linux CD and run it from the CD to see if it beeps when loading

Got this Knoppix CD, tried to boot from it, came out with the following error message:

Running Linux Knoppix Kernel 2.6.19

Can't find knoppix filesystem, sorry
Dropping you to a (very limited) shell
Press reset button to quit

Additional builtin commands available
cat mount unmount
Insmod rmmod Ismod

This CD boots fine in another much older machine.

Is my machine too new for this CD? :D

Any newer Linux free download to recommend?

gary67
12-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Puppy linux as it is much smaller although you will have to burn the iso to CD

bk T
12-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Booted from the another Linux CD (Knoppix ver 6.2.1), loads OK but the beep doesn't go away (when the machine is cold).

The annoying beep(s) comes just after the POST beep (one short). The annoying beep(s) is different from the ordinary POST beep codes - the tone is of much lower pitch. One can easily hear the difference between the 2 different tones.

After close observation, I do not think that it's software related because the beep(s) starts just after the POST beep, before the BIOS devices detecting phase and stops at the Windows log on screen (when the board has reached certain temperature). Ran MEMTEST did not detect any errors - I would assume that the RAMs are OK. Just for your info, I have: 2 x 2G SuperTalent DDR2 + 2 x 2G Corsair DDR2 RAM sticks. Does it matter to have 2 different brands of RAM in one system?

Now, there's only one more piece of hardware, i.e., graphic card. Unfortunately I do not have a spare PCIE vid card to swap. Is there any other methods to rule out the video card?

Snorkbox
12-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Are you sure it's not a CPU overheating warning alarm?

bk T
12-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Are you sure it's not a CPU overheating warning alarm?

I don't think that it's the CPU 'over-heating' alarm - how could it be possible to 'over-heat' when the machine starts from cold? It doesn't beep when Windows is running, even when it's running 'heavily' for >5 hours non stop. CPU Temp is around 37 - 45 deg C. And, when the machine is 'warm' it stops beeping (when restarts the machine).

wainuitech
12-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Apart from the Graphic Card, are there any other PCI cards in the PC, if so remove them.

bk T
12-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Apart from the Graphic Card, are there any other PCI cards in the PC, if so remove them.

No other PCI cards. This is what I have:

1 x TB WD HDD (SATA) boot disk
1 x 500GB Seagate HDD (SATA
1 x ASUS DVDRW
1 x Lite-on DVDRW
1 x Card Reader
1 x Floppy DD

Speedy Gonzales
12-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Is this related to this ? (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=109415)

bk T
12-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Is this related to this ? (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=109415)

It is partly, initially it beeps when BIOS detecting the devices but now it beeps immediately after the POST beep, before detecting the devices and continues beeping until the Windows logon screen, two times it continues after logged on (for a couple of seconds). The previous beeps were not so annoying though.

Speedy Gonzales
12-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Could be the LAN (since its got 2)?? And youre not using both? Or maybe the TPM, since its onboard, and Win7 supports it? I see its got diag LED's on it too. Do any of these light up / stay on, when it beeps?

bk T
12-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Could be the LAN (since its got 2)?? And youre not using both? Or maybe the TPM, since its onboard, and Win7 supports it? I see its got diag LED's on it too. Do any of these light up / stay on, when it beeps?

1. LAN, not using any - using a USB Wireless adaptor.
2. TPM - what's that?
3. Diag LEDs - did not pay attention to it will do it the next cold boot.

Speedy Gonzales
12-07-2010, 03:16 PM
TPM is this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Platform_Module)

Disable the NICs in the BIOS. See if it makes a diff. Since you're not using them

bk T
12-07-2010, 03:42 PM
TPM is this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Platform_Module)

Disable the NICs in the BIOS. See if it makes a diff. Since you're not using them

The TPM security chip is not activated.

bk T
13-07-2010, 06:43 PM
We're getting closer.

I removed the case lid, pressed the Power switch, keep my eyes on the mb and noted the following:

Just after the normal POST beep (one short), the CPU heatsink cooling fan spins, stops, spins, stops ... and the annoying beeps starts when the fan stops, stops when the fan starts ... the beep stops when the fan starts spinning normally

What could be the cause for the fan to behave like this? Could it be the fan itself is faulty (not able to spin up when it's cold)?

Suggestions, please.

cheers

wratterus
13-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Could be a fan fail warning of some sort? Check under power management in the BIOS. It's not uncommon for some boards to not spin the fans up 100% while POSTing.

wainuitech
13-07-2010, 09:24 PM
What can be happening is the fan connection is losing contact.

Some motherboards will protest if they cant detect a CPU Fan. If its beeping when the fan stops spinning, at that moment there is possibly no contact, and you get a warning beep, when contact is made the beeps stop.

This could be a faulty fan connection or a faulty fan, OR the connector on the Motherboard faulty.

Some mother boards, you can turn off this warning in the BIOS, BUT doing so is not a good idea -- If the fan fails completely other heat damage may occur.

First thing I'd do, disconnect the power, remove the fan connection, clean the contacts on the board and fan. If its still playing up change the fan.

What wratterus suggested is different to a fan losing power, some Motherboards have a fan control to regulate the speed, slower or off when cold, faster as things heat up. (They still have power and are detected by the Board)

Gigabye call it "Smart Fan control" its under the PC Health settings in the BIOS. ( from memory)

bk T
13-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Could be a fan fail warning of some sort? Check under power management in the BIOS. It's not uncommon for some boards to not spin the fans up 100% while POSTing.

Yes, this board has those functions under PC Health Status - CPU FAN fail warning is Enabled; CPU Smart Fan Control is also set to Enabled; CPU Smart FAN Mode was set to Voltage but has then changed to Auto (remembered it was originally set to Auto but didn't seem to work). Will see the result tomorrow when the comp is started when cold - as my teenage daughter is using it now.

What can be happening is the fan connection is losing contact.

Some motherboards will protest if they cant detect a CPU Fan. If its beeping when the fan stops spinning, at that moment there is possibly no contact, and you get a warning beep, when contact is made the beeps stop.

This could be a faulty fan connection or a faulty fan, OR the connector on the Motherboard faulty.

Some mother boards, you can turn off this warning in the BIOS, BUT doing so is not a good idea -- If the fan fails completely other heat damage may occur.

First thing I'd do, disconnect the power, remove the fan connection, clean the contacts on the board and fan. If its still playing up change the fan.

What wratterus suggested is different to a fan losing power, some Motherboards have a fan control to regulate the speed, slower or off when cold, faster as things heat up. (They still have power and are detected by the Board)

Gigabye call it "Smart Fan control" its under the PC Health settings in the BIOS. ( from memory)

I will clean the contacts as suggested tomorrow before starting up the computer. I'm however, a little puzzled as to why 'poor-contacts' only 'lose' contact when cold? It never beep when the computer is running, even left it ON over-night when I'm downloading some large files. I'm more inclined to suspect the FAN itself that jammed when the temp is low.

Anyway, will keep you folks informed of the outcome tomorrow. :thanks for all the ideas, suggestions, etc.. etc.

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
13-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Sounds like the PSU that was in this. It was making grinding noises in the morning (when it was cold - it was coming from the PSU - probably the fan). Then disappear sometimes, you couldnt hear it.

That didnt last for long (about a week). The other day it blew and blew a fuse lol. I had to replace it with the PSU that was in the other PC.

bk T
13-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Sounds like the PSU that was in this. It was making grinding noises in the morning (when it was cold - it was coming from the PSU - probably the fan). Then disappear sometimes, you couldnt hear it.

That didnt last for long (about a week). The other day it blew and blew a fuse lol. I had to replace it with the PSU that was in the other PC.

Have seen quite a few PSU fans (especially in older machines) having that sort of thing, too. Applied a little bit fo WD40 usually eliminates the noise.

wainuitech
13-07-2010, 11:32 PM
why 'poor-contacts' only 'lose' contact when cold? When cold metal / Joins shrink, when the temp comes back up it expands again.

IF its this thats causing the problem, it doesn't take much heat to cause expansion, just enough to warm the metal, and make contact again. If the PC is running continuously the heat is still there. You may find its something like one wire in the Fan plug simply not connecting correctly.

Touch the Heat sink when the PC has been running for a while - you will find its "Warm" to touch.

Touch the back of a Graphic Card when the Fan fails-- That almost burns (if the card has not shut down before hand)

Speedy Gonzales
13-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Have seen quite a few PSU fans (especially in older machines) having that sort of thing, too. Applied a little bit fo WD40 usually eliminates the noise.

Its not an old PC. It was a crap PSU anyway lol. I was planning on getting another PSU anyway (but not this soon). Since the PSU sits on the bottom of the case. And the connections are too short

bk T
15-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Annoying Beeps ELIMINATED! :thanks

Speedy Gonzales
15-07-2010, 02:11 PM
And the answer was?

SolMiester
15-07-2010, 02:40 PM

Random beeping before windows loads!..............Not a software issue!

wainuitech
15-07-2010, 02:46 PM
And the answer was? bk T borrowed the Hammer from my sig :lol:

Speedy Gonzales
15-07-2010, 02:47 PM
lol. Or killed the speaker

bk T
15-07-2010, 03:26 PM
bk T borrowed the Hammer from my sig :lol:

The big hammer certainly helps as I used it threaten the box. LOL

lol. Or killed the speaker

I didn't kill the little buzzer but I did threaten to kill it.

Anyway, I did a general clean up and replaced the old dirty fan with a new shiny one!

Flexing you muscle and threatening sometimes works. :D

Thank You All