PDA

View Full Version : New computer??

stevensaaron
10-07-2010, 04:52 PM
I am gonna get a new desktop comp, i want to use it for my uploading and downloading movies music, so i can keep it on just about 24/7 for seeding,

i want it to be powerful and big enough for video editing/encoding etc.

what are your recommendations, And what about OS would win 7 be fine, i have that on my laptop and it goes really well.

Basically i want a Good:

Motherboard/CPU :quad Core??
Video Card
possibly at least 4 gb Ram
HardDrives, would 2 drives be better?? one for the OS and other stuff and another for all the movies, music etc? In the case of 2 drives i would want at least 1.5-2 Tb
Reasonable sound card

anything else i'm missing??

Please i am unsure what i need so any recommendation and if anyone on here would be able to offer a good price on what i need would be great

I don't want to build it.

Budget: haven't really thought about it, but possibly some where between $1,500-2,000.??? if that's enough.

thanks

wainuitech
10-07-2010, 05:25 PM
For starters, the very first two lines is suggesting the breach of the forum rules #5
5) Subject Matter: Asking for, or giving advice on how to pirate software will not be tolerated. ------

Users are also not allowed to share, discuss or promote sites containing pirated movies and apps, or how to download and burn these pirated movies.

gary67
10-07-2010, 05:27 PM
If you can convince us of it's legal use you might get more help, the majority of torrents (note I didn't say all) are illegal and as Wainui said against forum rules

stevensaaron
10-07-2010, 05:39 PM
k wheres the edit post button??

stevensaaron
10-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Ok can someone delete this post please, i will start a new post, worded differently.

wainuitech
10-07-2010, 06:18 PM
:lol: That just made the day.

Only people that can delete posts contents or complete posts after the 15 minutes timer are the moderators.

So by making a new post, calling it the exact same thing with the same text/Question but leaving out the now obvious pirating text wont make a scrap of difference.

Good try :D

plod
10-07-2010, 06:23 PM
:lol: That just made the day.

Only people that can delete posts contents or complete posts after the 15 minutes timer are the moderators.

So by making a new post, calling it the exact same thing with the same text/Question but leaving out the now obvious pirating text wont make a scrap of difference.

Good try :D
what if the movies he was downloading have been released under creative commons. :stare:

wainuitech
10-07-2010, 06:30 PM
If they were legal then it would have been said so.

BUT going by the fact the poster was told its against the forum rules, AND made another post with the exact same wording BUT leaving out the first lines suggesting its possible pirated content -- Read between the lines, a person doesn't need to be that clever to figure it out.

Edited: If a moderator see these posts, maybe they will decide if its legal or not.

pctek
10-07-2010, 06:34 PM
I am gonna get a new desktop comp, i want to use it for my uploading and downloading movies music, so i can keep it on just about 24/7 for seeding,

i want it to be powerful and big enough for video editing/encoding etc.

Budget: haven't really thought about it, but possibly some where between $1,500-2,000.???

So it will need massive amounts of storage, it will need a super duper CPU and plenty of RAM, graphics isn't so importnat.

Go to Playtech, they'll build one.
Or, as you like to steal, why not go down the pub and ask your nearest thief?

stevensaaron
10-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Ok i know i didn't word it properly, I hardly use this forum and i haven't been on here in ages. I do and have downloaded a few movies, music etc, Who hasn't, but it's not my main use for the computer it is for video/movie editing, and i take loads of photos, etc and make photo videos etc using movie maker for friends, i have been doing a little on my laptop, but i want to get a bigger and better and more powerful desktop to be able to do it, and since i don't see any chance of getting help on this now i might as well leave.

8ftmetalhaed
10-07-2010, 07:24 PM
pctek just answered your question.
Go for a few TB's of storage, not necessarily the fastest drives you can find but definitely decent speeds (WD blue or equivalent would do). Depending on how serious you are, two or three harddrives would work, and you could maybe even push for a small solid state drive for the OS if you have the cash

Go for an i5 750 or i7 build, with 4-8gb ram. i7 would help with video editing if you're using threaded apps. If you have a decent budget, go for 1366 socket i7's rather than 1156, and get some triple channel ram. Otherwise just go 1156 and stick to dual channel :)
You won't need much of a graphics card, a 5670 or 5570 would do you well, or thereabouts.
Motherboards, i'll go ahead and suggest the gigabyte usb3 or ud3r, both good boards at pretty cheap prices.
Case? I always suggest the coolermaster gladiator 600, since the included PSU is a decent brand and wattage, and the case is nice and cool with easy to mount harddrives. Cabling can be a bit of a problem if your board has right angled sata connectors by the 5" drive bays, but they seem to be all accessible if you push them in firmly enough.
As for soundcards, almost all motherboards have good 5.1/7.1 outputs on them.

You didn't mention extras like monitors and such but you can get a decent 24" 1080p panel for about 3 or 400 bucks.
Viewsonic do a decent one. (vx2433vm).
Speakers, go for something like the logitech 5.1 set for anywhere between 70 and 100 bucks, more than that and it's overpriced.

8ftmetalhaed
10-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Ok, so just throwing together a basic list,

2x WD blue 1tb HDD's (sata II) - about $270.
2x WD black 1tb HDD's (sata III) - about $320.

Sapphire ATI 5450 512mb - about $90.

Coolermaster Gladiator 600 - about $175.

i5 750 - about $330.
i7 930 (1366)- about $480.

Dual channel:
4gb ram - $190.
8gb ram - $380.

Triple channel:
6gb ram - $340.

For the cheapest setup, you'll be looking at about $1055, the most expensive, $1400. Although that's just the box. Building it would cost about another $40, plus the OS costs, and the cost of a monitor and the like too.
So if you go for a cheaper build with WD blue drives, i5 and 4gb ram, you'll be able to get one done for a total of around $1400 i'd say.
The more expensive build would probably put you at about $2000, if you add anything extra and the like.

icow
10-07-2010, 07:45 PM
PB Tech has a COOLER MASTER CENTURION 5 for $169 (OEM Price).

The Error Guy
10-07-2010, 10:39 PM
I assume you will want to stream your content over LAN? in that case you'll want a good networking setup. if its wireless get a N compatible router and an N band PCI or PCIe Card. VLC for playing it unless you have a more preferred option

Chilling_Silence
10-07-2010, 11:01 PM
No need for N-Wireless when most of the time you can happily stream anything but HD video over B-Wireless. Most h.264 / XviD video is around 1200-1800kbps (As a generalization) where it's not HD video, so lets just say even G-Wireless speeds are well and truly overkill.

stevensaaron,
Suck it up mate. You asked for help, but we don't offer it here if it's breaking the rules.
Going crying like that "Oh I might as well leave", is no skin off our chest. We're doing YOU a service here (It's not like we're being paid), don't try and guilt us into anything. Get over yourself.

pctek
11-07-2010, 09:18 AM
I do and have downloaded a few movies, music etc, Who hasn't, .

Actually I haven't.
Ever.