PDA

View Full Version : Back up s- how long to save

effie c
09-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Hi,

A few weeks ago I installed a hardrive to replace one that died- in the computer it is the second one and is used primarily to facilitate a back up and to catch program downloads automatically

I back up the computer ( "letting the computer decide" ) every Monday

I see there now that many week's backing up icons in that computer folder.

Do I need each week's back up say to the end of time:illogical --or can I delete say the oldest few?

I am only backing up 'cos every one says so ( "all h/d WILL fail etc" )
The back up is an internal h/d titled F drive
:)

effie c

Snorkbox
09-07-2010, 12:23 PM
It would depend on the backup. Is this a full backup or incremental?

I would keep the last full backup and all incrementals done since.

sroby
09-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Hi,

I back up the computer ( "letting the computer decide" ) every Monday

The back up is an internal h/d titled F drive
:)

effie c

-how valuable is the data??

1) You need to get directly involved in the backup, dont just 'let the computor decide'. Check what is being backed up & that files can actually be recovered.
Check backup logs for errors. I'm guessing you will need some better backup software as well.

2)A backup to internal HD is hardly good practice. A issue with the PC could easily see both drives corrupted/killed. Buy an external USB drive, backup to that & disconnect it when not backing up.
even better , get 2 or more USB drives to backup to
Dont be tempted to try & use USB mem sticks as backup media. Not reliable enough.

Nomad
09-07-2010, 01:21 PM
depends. for me i just overwrite it if i have the same word or excel file for eg .. so i don't have duplication. for outlook pst files, i have a name eg .. 01jan10 to 31jun10 etc etc ... do another so it's 01jan10 to 31jul10 etc... so i can keep track of ...

but duplications can be v useful. let's say you did something wrong and you want to revert back to last week's file...... or maybe backup somehow stuffed up and you need a older version ....

ie some people may prefer to backup files to a diff dated folder so they have diff versions ...

sroby
09-07-2010, 01:29 PM
[QUOTE=Nomad;928855
but duplications can be v useful. let's say you did something wrong and you want to revert back to last week's file...... or maybe backup somehow stuffed up and you need a older version ...[/QUOTE]

or say a data file becomes corrupted & you dont know untill 3 weeks later.
Unless you have old backups, all the backups of that file will be the corrupted version.

kahawai chaser
09-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Sometimes what you back up you may not really need (as noted above). So for documents I also email them/upload online and lately to family members, e.g. photo's, video's and get them to look after them. As I don't specifically need a boatload of files. It's about keeping what relevant, which I have a "master" disc and external drive. But any backed up programs which are upgraded, rather than constantly backup sometimes, I now just download as when needed.

Nomad
09-07-2010, 02:34 PM
i hardly write cd/dvds now. i have only had 2 spiral packs of 25 ever. heaps of stuff i just download and they go out of date. these days i backup to hdd - the sys image, my own files.

effie c
09-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Hi,

Thank you all

I use W 7 Pro and surely that back up system is good enough

As I see it to use the "let the computer decide " is not needed-only systimage and own files"

effie c

Greven
09-07-2010, 04:11 PM
I back up to a portable hard drive & keep it in my car glove box. The Win7 backup is great - you can have it backup all your user files (or specify any files to backup) so they can be restored individually & also do a full system image without having duplicated data in your backups.

If you have a drive dedicated to backups, you don't need to worry about how many to keep - the more the better & windows will automatically keep as many as possible & delete old ones when you run out of space.