PDA

View Full Version : Mouse won't select window

davidmmac
09-07-2010, 09:03 AM
Every now and then, my mouse (or windows) just decides it doesn't want to select anything. It will still move the cursor, but it won't select anything, and nothing will recognize that the cursor is hovering over it (eg Windows orb) except when I am on the desktop, where it will open an application which has an icon on the desktop but when the application is open it won't select anything.

The only way I have found to fix it is to go Ctrl+Alt+Delete whenever it happens and Click cancel 3 times (the first 2 clicks don't do anything).

I am running Windows 7, and have tried 2 different mice but to no avail.

Any ideas?

GreacherTech
09-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Not 100% sure.

But Ive found that usually happens when your system is hanging.
It's Explorer.exe that is not responding, if it happens just pop into your process tree, kill it, and then select new task and type in "explorer.exe"

should be sweet after that.

As for whats causing it in the first place, whats your system speccs?

davidmmac
09-07-2010, 09:43 AM
Not 100% sure.

But Ive found that usually happens when your system is hanging.
It's Explorer.exe that is not responding, if it happens just pop into your process tree, kill it, and then select new task and type in "explorer.exe"

should be sweet after that.

It usually works fine (for a while anyway) after I've done Ctrl+ALt+Delete then cancel. When it happens I don't think the system is hung, but I'm not sure. Next time it happens I'll have a look in task manager.

As for whats causing it in the first place, whats your system speccs?

Windows 7
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (2.2Ghz)
Asus M2N-MX
1GB RAM
80GB HDD
Lite-on DVD Burner

Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600
Microsoft Wireless Mouse 6000 v2

Edit: the other mouse I tried it with was a Microsoft Wheel mouse optical.

GreacherTech
09-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Your HDD full?

If it is hanging you may want to invest in a bit more RAM

davidmmac
09-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Your HDD full?

If it is hanging you may want to invest in a bit more RAM

Yep HDD is full :blush:, looking at getting an external as well as some more RAM.

Could this be the problem?

wainuitech
09-07-2010, 11:13 AM
If the HDD is full , that wouldn't be helping on little bit. Windows & programs do need a bit of spare space to write data.

Dump some of the things off you dont need, give it a good clean out.

GreacherTech
09-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Thought I might of hit the nail with that one :P

80GB certainly fills fast

davidmmac
09-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Ok, will try dumping some stuff, how much free space would you recommend I have?

Opened task manager when it last happened and CPU usage was at around 3%, with explorer.exe not doing anything.

Edit: Just realised I've only got 299MB free :eek:

davidmmac
09-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Just happened again, here's a screenshot of task manager: http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Untitled1278641258.png

Roger Hunt
09-07-2010, 02:45 PM
I would go to the mouse manufactures site and update the driver, Just to be sure I had the latest.

wainuitech
09-07-2010, 03:23 PM
Since its W7 - Try this, may or may not show some light.

Click Start, in the search type in Reli When it shows, click on "View Reliability History"

When it opens, look at the graph - look at days the mouse stopped working, hopefully there will be something, either a red circle with an X, or something.

Click it if there is, down the bottom of the graph, will be what the event(s) were - to the right should be the wording " View Technical Details" open it and see what it says.

The above of course will only be of any help if it recorded something :D

davidmmac
09-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks Wainui, but sadly it didn't record any error(s) :(

@Roger Hunt: Went to MS website and updated the mouse driver, unsure whether it's worked yet (hasn't happened again since the update was installing - about 10min ago).

Roger Hunt
09-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Thanks Wainui, but sadly it didn't record any error(s) :(

@Roger Hunt: Went to MS website and updated the mouse driver, unsure whether it's worked yet (hasn't happened again since the update was installing - about 10min ago).

Be good if that was all it was

davidmmac
09-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Be good if that was all it was

I would be very happy if it was, but sadly it isn't. Just happened again. It always seems to happen when the computer has been booted, and then sporadically after that :illogical.

I suppose the solution to this would just be to not turn the computer on :annoyed:

wainuitech
10-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Have a read of This thread (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/0e22ba2b-864a-4b66-8314-3e00d4d82421) the first reply by the MSFT, Moderator.

davidmmac
15-07-2010, 01:49 PM
OK, thought I'd better do an update:

It hasn't happened for a while now, and hopefully (fingers crossed) it won't happen again. I'm not sure what fixed it, but it was either the empty hard drive or the new mouse driver as I didn't get time to try the link Wainui posted.

Thanks for all your guys help :).