PDA

View Full Version : ISP Confusion!!!

password
09-07-2010, 01:51 AM
Hey guys, Im so confused as to which ISP to deal with.:help:

Right now, im paying Telecom $110 a month for phone and 10gb of data... Which is a rip off.:mad:

I NEED to change, I have narrowed it down to two companys.

There is Xnet Fusion, Which im looking at $111 for VoIP phone and 40gb cap.
http://www.xnet.co.nz/fusion/slider.shtml
Im not to sure about the VoIP, because i have had nothing but trouble with the likes of Skype at our house. Also as i do ALOT of online gaming and downloads, I dont want the phone quality to degrade, or go up the crapper if i ever run up over the cap. I have also heard of people having a crap slow time in the evening since the Torrent plans were released. Not good for me! Another down side is that i need to buy all new equipment just to use The phone, With slingshot, i just use the brand new stuff here, or get new stuff from them.

The other is Slingshot MAX (Whangarei Only, Lucky me),
http://www.slingshot.co.nz/MaxVoicePlusMaxBroadband.aspx
Where i get two free phones which im in need of, The phone line with all of the goodies, and 40 gb of full speed internet, for $89.99, very good saving.
I like this one because its large cap and it has the data rollover, so if i dont use the 40gb, it gets added to the next month. :drool I also like how there is seperate phone line, so we know what we are in for. The downside is the $150 setup fee... Ugghhh...

I would like to hear from others EXPERENCE of the two dif companys, not just "he said, she said" crap :lol:.

I need the large cap because there are four internet hungery people in the house, and 10 gb is aint enough.

What do you think??

THANKS!!

gary67
09-07-2010, 07:44 AM
We are on naked DSL with Xnet and yes the speed is a bit slower at night, our existing phone just plugged straight into the router and the quality of calls is fine, we are on the fusion plan at 20Gb don't know cost as we don't pay for it at the moment

Chilling_Silence
09-07-2010, 08:34 AM
I wouldn't go back to Xnet. After the terrible time we had with them, we left and immediately life got better. Same for their VoIP product offerings, I'd personally prefer to take my business elsewhere to the likes of 2talk.

Keep in mind if you're doing VoIP, you're going to want to setup some description of QoS (Quality of Service) at your router level so that you can manage the likes of downloads, so they won't interfere with your VoIP call.

From what I can gather, the service that you're looking at is some description of a Wireless service?

It's possibly worth looking at Vodafone as another alternative, they seem to be the most competitive right now in terms of packages with their Ultimate plan:
http://www.vodafone.co.nz/broadband/

I've been hunting around, since the Big Time plan is finishing...

pctek
09-07-2010, 08:37 AM
There is currently loads of whinging on Gameplanets ISP forum about Slingshots speeds in the wee hours.

GreacherTech
09-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Right now, im paying Telecom $110 a month for phone and 10gb of data... Which is a rip off.:mad:<--bare in mind that a fair bit of that price is the fact you get free calling anywhere anytime within NZ

I've had terrible XP with xnet.

I like this one because its large cap and it has the data rollover, so if i dont use the 40gb, it gets added to the next month. :drool

And also i'm pretty sure Slingshot only rolls over any EXTRA GB that you have purchased to the new month.
But hey if you're downloading overnight then I would deff go with Slingshot, last time I was with them they had the off-peak session between 1am and 6am where they didn't charge you for data :P (though im not sure if they still do it)

THANKS!!

bk T
09-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Just stay where you are. All ISPs in NZ are very similar to a great extent.

Of course, if you don't mind the hassle, have plenty of time, etc., you can just go around, change from one ISP to another. Have fun!

rumpty
09-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Hey guys, Im so confused as to which ISP to deal with.:help:

Right now, im paying Telecom $110 a month for phone and 10gb of data... Which is a rip off...

That is a bit more than I pay to Telecom for the same? 10GB of data and the phone for $97. Then a few weeks ago they suggested a change to Total Home Light, to save a few dollars, keeping my 10GB data, so I've taken that up.

Snorkbox
09-07-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm with telecom and get by with my 10 Gig data allowance. I tried saving $10 per month by going to 3 Gig but it was not quite enough at times so therefore everything got real slow.

GreacherTech
09-07-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm with Telecom Total Home Adventurer.

Unlimited Ph calls anywhere in NZ
Cheap calls to AUS
Caller ID
& 20 GIG data cap

Total: $119.00 p/m

johnd
09-07-2010, 10:37 PM
Had heaps of problems with Xnet VoIP initially - nobody could find the problem - eventually I upgraded the firmware on my 2005 Netgear modem/router and since then there have been no issues. Yes - it is slower in the evenings but isn't that the same with all ISPs?

Chilling_Silence
10-07-2010, 02:32 AM
Yes - it is slower in the evenings but isn't that the same with all ISPs?

Nope :D

sahilcc7
10-07-2010, 02:33 PM
i am also thinking of changing from total home 10gb to xnet fusion. just worried about voip. - if i can still use my normal fax and home phone the same.

Chilling_Silence
10-07-2010, 10:52 PM
To a certain degree, you can, but Xnet have bad reputation for poor quality connections.

If you can get yourself a decent ADSL line, that's reliable, and a good solid router (Not some cheap crap that most ISP's give away free), then you can do faxing and calling through the likes of the Linksys SPA2102.

password
11-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Thanks guys, I will have a good read when im more awake and take everyones ideas into mind and nut this out,

Thanks!

Nomad
11-07-2010, 10:46 PM
If you are paying more than $100, you might be on a diff landline call plan :confused: if so that's fine, just understand what you are on, each plan provide their own perks ...

Re: diff ISPs. Dunno about those high user plans.
I can attest that with Xnet's standard plans, Actrix and Clear, they are pretty much the same - performance wise.

As witnessed by myself, the issue might be your lines, but then it is almost impossible to fix that unless you have a best mate who is a Chorus Tech, :D Because if the landline is fine - no static and they do a line check and it comes out fine, in major cities you would get acceptable but not the best internet speed. Like I got 3Mbit static free, but then I got heaps of static (it wouldn't connect) the guy put us on a temp connection and it jumped to 5.75Mbits :p

Nomad
11-07-2010, 10:49 PM
Generally speaking VOIP or naked ADSL is not free. You are paying about $20-25 for it per month.

That is, if a typical ADSL connection plan is $50 per month. You may also pay $45 for the landline.

But, if you took up nADSL you are not just $50, you are prob paying around $75 for nADSL. They give you a local number, you have the option to keep your former/current number and some of it you get free local calls, some ISPs don't give you that ...

The higher plans of Telstra cable internet (not ADSL) and any Woosh Wireless are two solutions that are absolutely free but they don't give you a landline number.

Ninjabear
12-07-2010, 03:04 AM
I sometimes talk on the phone with my father on Xnet's Voip line while playing Left 4 dead 2 or world of warcraft and I haven't noticed in any degrade in quality.

Speed is pretty ok with me . I use to get major lags at night but it's been pretty good now for the past 3 months

goodiesguy
12-07-2010, 03:18 AM
EVERYBODY WANG CHUNG TONIGHT!! Sorry just a bit of 1980's Nostalgia

anyways the internet should be faster in the evenings