PDA

View Full Version : People fight back

ubergeek85
09-07-2010, 01:41 AM
Here (http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/3898354/Pub-patrons-bring-down-gunman).

I both agree and disagree with this: when someone's pointing a gun at you, it's generally good to do whatever they say, nothing is worth your life, however, we can't just roll over and wait for the cops, and the chances are high that if they weren't stopped, they would've gotten away with it.

Opinions?

mikebartnz
09-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Who is to say if you do as you are told you still won't get shot. If the odds look good I say go for it.
Not a bright guy trying that in a pub at that hour as the patrons would be as unpredictable as they were.

Metla
09-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Criminals get away with there crap because the community allows them to, As far as I'm concerned the message to the masses should be defend yourselves, defend your family, defend your property.

The community should be rallied to stop crap like tagging, burglaries and drug houses in our streets.

Snorkbox
09-07-2010, 12:41 PM
I would hope I'd have a go if I had the chance. As part of my community I keep an eye on what is going on.

On the other hand I don't want to be a neighbour from hell either.

hueybot3000
09-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Criminals get away with there crap because the community allows them to, As far as I'm concerned the message to the masses should be defend yourselves, defend your family, defend your property.

Then we'd turn out like the yanks (no offence surfer_joe). They all "need" guns to defend their families.

Personally Im all for a pub brawl and if someone was pointing a gun anywhere a drunken huey they is going down.

Metla
09-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Then we'd turn out like the yanks (no offence surfer_joe). They all "need" guns to defend their families.

Personally Im all for a pub brawl and if someone was pointing a gun anywhere a drunken huey they is going down.

Funny enough I was once in a pub brawl where guns were presented, It changed the vibe instantly,Though the drunken brain doesn't seem to comprehend how bad things have just become, and how much worse it could become in an instant.

prefect
09-07-2010, 11:42 PM
I salute the brave dudes, only hope they managed a few free kicks to the clown when he was captured.
I wonder if the manger put on some free piss for them.

Cicero
10-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Ayn Rand on the subject................

The necessary consequence of man’s right to life is his right to self-defense. In a civilized society, force may be used only in retaliation and only against those who initiate its use. All the reasons which make the initiation of physical force an evil, make the retaliatory use of physical force a moral imperative.

If some “pacifist” society renounced the retaliatory use of force, it would be left helplessly at the mercy of the first thug who decided to be immoral. Such a society would achieve the opposite of its intention: instead of abolishing evil, it would encourage and reward it.

Twelvevolts
10-07-2010, 01:45 PM

The necessary consequence of man’s right to life is his right to self-defense. In a civilized society, force may be used only in retaliation and only against those who initiate its use. All the reasons which make the initiation of physical force an evil, make the retaliatory use of physical force a moral imperative.

If some “pacifist” society renounced the retaliatory use of force, it would be left helplessly at the mercy of the first thug who decided to be immoral. Such a society would achieve the opposite of its intention: instead of abolishing evil, it would encourage and reward it.

Seems like a solid argument to me.

Terry Porritt
10-07-2010, 06:49 PM

I am sure you would like some "Music With An Ayn Rand Connection", http://dismuke.org/aynrand/selections.html

:banana

Cicero
10-07-2010, 07:31 PM
I am sure you would like some "Music With An Ayn Rand Connection", http://dismuke.org/aynrand/selections.html

:banana

I would prefer some comment on her commentary.