PDA

View Full Version : HDMI audio driving me nuts

supersi
08-07-2010, 10:33 PM
The ASUS forum is useless so here I am at good old PressF1 again!
I have an ASUS N10J netbook with an HDMI out. Whenever I connect it to an HDTV it's touch and go whether or not the audio will work.

Firstly, can someone confirm what my audio settings should be? I have three options (see screenshot) Attached file: audio1278581300.jpg (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/audio1278581300.jpg) (19 KB)

I've also noticed that the cable is very sensitive to bumps and movement. If I move the cable slightly I'm likely to lose the image. So if this is the case I suppose I could be losing audio too?

So are there good cables and crap cables? Any recommendations? I refuse to fork-out for gold-plated BS monster cables though.

Speedy Gonzales
08-07-2010, 10:47 PM
I would say the option its on

Roger Hunt
08-07-2010, 10:59 PM
Control panel,sound,right click the speaker icon,properties,advanced set the bit rate to 16 or 24-bit 44100 Hz

8ftmetalhaed
09-07-2010, 12:28 AM
while you might get better results from a slightly better cable if yours is like a $2 sort of jobbie, as everyone agrees, it's digital signal being passed through so interference is pretty much a load of bollocks, any image quality increase will be that of a placebo effect, or whatever you'd call it - you paid hundreds of bucks so you'd drive yourself nuts until you imagined hundreds of bucks of difference in the quality.

pctek
09-07-2010, 08:39 AM
So are there good cables and crap cables? Any recommendations? I refuse to fork-out for gold-plated BS monster cables though.

Friend of mine says there is. Don't know about the quality of the throughput, but he had cheap and expensive cables, although I think it wasn't so much the price but how well they were made.
He found the cheap ones flimsy and dodgy like you say and got something after much research and is now happy with his connection.

sroby
09-07-2010, 01:25 PM
HDMI audio can be VERY problematic with some PC hardware & some TV's
I had a nightmare sorting out my HTPC=TV HDMI issues (both TV & PC had issues)

Ended up having to replace the Vid card completely just to get something that
worked 100%(for audio). MY Samsung TV also has a few bugs with PC/hdmi :badpc:

But any cable(connector) can fail. 1st step is to replace the cable (get a cheapy).
Some HDMI cables have wire & connector that is far to hefty and may tend to unplug itself just through weight of cable & inflexable wire.