PDA

View Full Version : The cable to rule them all

The Error Guy
08-07-2010, 07:35 PM
http://www.neowin.net/news/hdmi-to-be-replaced-with-an-ethernet-cable

Whats the betting that this generic "ethernet" will be a very "SPECIAL" ethernet that is made from premium quality material therefore costs just $460. yeah thanks bud. ill just grab my $20 crimps and a $50 roll of Cat 6 from trademe

Agent_24
08-07-2010, 08:22 PM
That is moronic, I won't be buying it

gary67
08-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Well you can already do USB over cat5, job I have been working on all the TV's are wired using this. So I can't see why not

Paul.Cov
08-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Meh, so the next big thing will be yet another set of adapters to run your formerly VGA, formerly SVGA, formerly VESA, formerly HDMI monitor via a network cable... and network hubs with 20 inputs for keyboard, mouse, monitor, computer, internet, network, tv, media centre...

ooh wait, there'll have to be a mini version of these plugs too, coz the iPod owners don't want a stinking great network socket in their latest portable toys... do I detect even more adapters?

But wait, they won't want plugs - they'll expect to run their monitor via a wireless network.. and pump the internet through it as well, and the media centre, and the printer...

And then, once we're all tooled up for this gear they'll introduce networking throughout the home via the AC outlet in the wall. Oooh! More adapters and more expensive kit in order to do the same job as before... and then throw out all those hubs and network cables.

plod
08-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Meh, so the next big thing will be yet another set of adapters to run your formerly VGA, formerly SVGA, formerly VESA, formerly HDMI monitor via a network cable... and network hubs with 20 inputs for keyboard, mouse, monitor, computer, internet, network, tv, media centre...

ooh wait, there'll have to be a mini version of these plugs too, coz the iPod owners don't want a stinking great network socket in their latest portable toys... do I detect even more adapters?

But wait, they won't want plugs - they'll expect to run their monitor via a wireless network.. and pump the internet through it as well, and the media centre, and the printer...

And then, once we're all tooled up for this gear they'll introduce networking throughout the home via the AC outlet in the wall. Oooh! More adapters and more expensive kit in order to do the same job as before... and then throw out all those hubs and network cables.

I do believe Sony has wireless HDMI, not sure if its released yet.

The Error Guy
08-07-2010, 09:48 PM
60ghz HD wireless. range, 50m its like hugely powerful (add enough power, it will kill you) bluetooth. you could get the sweetest burns by modding the firmware and setting the PEP to say 60w?

ubergeek85
08-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Looks good, but I wonder how many people will plug it into their routers and computers 'because it fit', and then wonder why the magic smoke escaped.

Such is the danger of PoE. But then again, they only mentioned Cat5e/6 cable, nothing on the connectors.

IMO the next spec will just be software protocols, on top of TCP/IP, with everything else taken care of by bog-standard ethernet hardware. With a fancy name though.

Agent_24
08-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Yeah I think I'd rather not turn my house into a microwave oven.

Ethernet cabling all the way....

Erayd
08-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Looks good, but I wonder how many people will plug it into their routers and computers 'because it fit', and then wonder why the magic smoke escaped.

Such is the danger of PoE.PoE doesn't quite work that way - the device you plug it into has to actually ask for power, before it gets fed anything meaningful. You can quite happily plug a cable from a PoE supply to into your PC (or any other ethernet device) without any risk of damaging it (this does of course assume that the PoE supply complies with standards and isn't doing something crazy like shorting a live current to the ethernet port).

See here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet#Configuration_via_Ethernet_lay er_2_LLDP) for more info.

ubergeek85
08-07-2010, 11:12 PM
PoE doesn't quite work that way

Ahh, thanks for that. All the PoE stuff I've seen is DIY, and just sending it straight down the cable.

Erayd
09-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Ahh, thanks for that. All the PoE stuff I've seen is DIY, and just sending it straight down the cable.Mmm, yeah that's not really proper PoE. It's power, and it is delivered via an ethernet cable, but that's where the resemblance ends.

Various non-compliant solutions like this are commonly known as 'passive PoE'.

wmoore
09-07-2010, 10:07 AM
AoE has been used for years in professional audio.
Cobranet is an example.
HDBaseT are just adding video to the same cable.

CYaBro
09-07-2010, 11:00 AM
I think this is going to be great since a lot of houses and business already have CAT5e/CAT6 in place.

pine-o-cleen
09-07-2010, 07:43 PM
This is already possible (kind of). When I was doing AV work, my company used something similar to this:

http://www.rapalloav.co.nz/product/1477/HDMI-over-Cat5/6-Extenders/HDMI-over-Cat5/6-Extenders/

The downsides being that it needed powering at both ends and you couldn't add any sort of image processing into the mix. As soon as you connect through say an amplifier before it reaches the TV / projector, you get conflicts, which = different coloured 'spots' speckled through the picture.

The Error Guy
09-07-2010, 07:51 PM
I wounder, as you can send a Ethernet signal over power cables using two little boxes, I wounder if you could stream video around your home like that too? speeds are reasonable, around 200mb/s

CYaBro
09-07-2010, 08:13 PM
The problem with the current HDMI over ethernet cables is the limited distance, usually 30-40M max.
I've had problems with some things only working up to 10-15M.

The Error Guy
10-07-2010, 05:28 PM
What sort of protocol will they use to run this? standard networking or I wounder if it will be an Ethernet shaped plug covered with gold and platinum that exchanged the pins on HDMI for the pins on Ethernet