PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Internal Hard Drive

Bobh
08-07-2010, 12:47 PM
I currently have a WDC WD800BB-00JHA0 ATA 80 Gigabyte internal hard drive. I am wanting to upgrade this with a higher capacity hard drive. I'd expect to spend up to $200.

I have a pentium 4 motherboard.

Would the more modern hard drives be compatible? I am worried about making the mistake of buying a new drive that does not slide into the old slot in the case (wrong size) or has new type plugs that are incompatible with my older machine.

I have in latter years found it a simple matter to install a hard drive.

FoxyMX
08-07-2010, 03:55 PM
The hard drives are still the same size so you should have no problems. Just be sure to get an ATA drive, unless your motherboard has sATA ports, in which case you could get a sATA hard drive. You will need to buy a sATA cable if you go this way.

Nomad
08-07-2010, 04:19 PM
If you don't wanna reinstall everything - create an image and reload this onto the new HDD.

FoxyMX
08-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Or just leave everything where it is and use the new drive for data only.

McRuff
08-07-2010, 04:33 PM
You may have problems putting too large a hard disk into your computer. In the P4 era, you often had to flash your bios to get it to recognize larger hard drives. Do you know the make and model, and bios version of your motherboard.

Bobh
08-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Thanks for your advise. I think that I am now on the right track. Got this reply from Computerlounge;

"It seems the hard drive you currently have is a ATA or IDE hard drive.

This is different to the SATA hard drives used today;

You would have to see if your motherboard has SATA connections on board"

I think that Computerlounge have quite a few ATA Western Digital internal drives.

FoxyMX
08-07-2010, 04:45 PM
I think that Computerlounge have quite a few ATA Western Digital internal drives.

You might like to compare their prices with Ascent (http://www.ascent.co.nz/Category.aspx?majorcatID=22&minorCatID=95).

Bobh
08-07-2010, 08:09 PM
You may have problems putting too large a hard disk into your computer. In the P4 era, you often had to flash your bios to get it to recognize larger hard drives. Do you know the make and model, and bios version of your motherboard.
Board and BIOS details

3.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 05/24/2005
Board: Springdale
Hyper-threaded (2 total)

Agent_24
08-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Sorry but that tells us nothing much at all.

You need to actual board model number, Springdale is simply the codename for the Intel 865PE Chipset.

A program such as Everest will be able to find this for you. You can download a trial 30-day version from their website (www.lavalys.com)

Bobh
08-07-2010, 10:37 PM
Sorry but that tells us nothing much at all.

You need to actual board model number, Springdale is simply the codename for the Intel 865PE Chipset.

A program such as Everest will be able to find this for you. You can download a trial 30-day version from their website (www.lavalys.com)
Motherboard Name Albatron PX865PE7 (Pro) / PX865PE7C (Pro) /
Motherboard ID 05/24/2005-Springdale-6A79BBK6C-00
PX865PEC Pro
Motherboard Chipset Intel Springdale i865PE
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 3200 MHz (16 x 200)
Computer Type ACPI x86-based PC

Agent_24
08-07-2010, 11:39 PM
According to the Albatron website your board has two SATA connectors for 1.5Gbit operation.

This is not the fastest SATA you can get but it will let you use the modern drives (actually, most drives still don't use the full potential of it even now)

I can't seem to find the maximum hard drive size you can use though. Maybe someone else can help with that.

For the record, for $200 you can get a 2TB hard drive, though I doubt it will support one that big!

McRuff
09-07-2010, 01:01 PM
I can't find anything about maximum hard disk size either, The latest bios update for that motherboard was in 2005. The largest hard drives available then were in the 500GB range.

Larger drives then that may work.

I would recommend a SATA drive, because you will be able to keep it, when your computer is updated. PATA connectors are starting to become rare on modern motherboards.

And you may need a sata data cable and a adapter for your power connection. Like this
http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=378368

Bobh
10-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Thanks again for your replies.

I finally decided on the Western Digital Caviar Black 640 Gb 32 Mb cache. The Green was cheaper but did not appear to have a warranty. The Black has a five year warranty.

Looking at my Motherboard's manual (which I downloaded) it appears it has two SATA connectors. If not I know that I can get the Molex Serial ATA cable converter. Good idea to future proof the drive.

I downloaded and installed Everest Ultimate Edition. I found it very useful. Much better than Balarac Adviser.

I do have a 1 Tb external hard drive which my computer accepted no problem. I was able to use the whole drive.

Agent_24
10-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Thanks again for your replies.

I finally decided on the Western Digital Caviar Black 640 Gb 32 Mb cache. The Green was cheaper but did not appear to have a warranty. The Black has a five year warranty.

The WD Green have a warranty (not sure the length, maybe 3 years) but the black is a faster drive, so a better choice anyway.

I downloaded and installed Everest Ultimate Edition. I found it very useful. Much better than Balarac Adviser.

I do have a 1 Tb external hard drive which my computer accepted no problem. I was able to use the whole drive.

I have always found Everest to be the best.

In regards to the external hard drive, you would be able to use any size hard drive provided the operating system you are running supports it.

BIOS has nothing to do with size in this case because the external USB enclosure has its own hardware which handles the drive, so this is not indicative of your BIOS\Motherboard being able to support a 1TB drive connected internally.

sahilcc7
10-07-2010, 02:26 PM
get the right size and write cable - like sata or ide.

McRuff
10-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Looking at my Motherboard's manual (which I downloaded) it appears it has two SATA connectors. If not I know that I can get the Molex Serial ATA cable converter. Good idea to future proof the drive.

The motherboards connectors are for SATA Data cables. You need one Data cable and also a power cable to the Disk.

The molex converter is for the power supply as it is likely that the power supply in your older computer does not have the correct power connector for Sata disks. It allows the older molex plug to power a SATA disk.

Bobh
10-07-2010, 03:18 PM
The motherboards connectors are for SATA Data cables. You need one Data cable and also a power cable to the Disk.

The molex converter is for the power supply as it is likely that the power supply in your older computer does not have the correct power connector for Sata disks. It allows the older molex plug to power a SATA disk.
Thanks for that, I may need to get that Molex plug after all.

gary67
10-07-2010, 05:30 PM
The WD green drives are slower so using less power and making less heat and noise hence the name Green and they have 3 year warranties