PDA

View Full Version : Asus Recovery Partition

bk T
08-07-2010, 11:01 AM
I was trying to restore my Asus A7jc laptop to factory defaults due to badly corrupted OS but only to find that the Recovery utility could not find the recovery files; tried using the recovery disc came with the laptop to reinstall the OS (Win XP Media Centre Edition) produced the same results.

Checked and found that the hidden recovery partition is still there untouched. The only thing I did was using Norton Ghost 2003 to create a system image of the C: drive. I later found out that Norton Ghost has the tendency to mess up the recovery utility (probably the location of the Hidden partition on the HDD)

Any suggestion as how to re-position the hidden partition's location?

Snorkbox
08-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Is the BIOS set to boot off CD first? If so the recovery CD should work.

bk T
08-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Is the BIOS set to boot off CD first? If so the recovery CD should work.

It is set to boot from CD and it booted from the recovery CD OK but installation halted shortly after that.

I'm more interested to salvage the hidden recovery partition rather than the recovery CD.

Snorkbox
08-07-2010, 11:53 AM
So have you tried pressing F9 on booting this? If so what were the results?

bk T
08-07-2010, 12:27 PM
So have you tried pressing F9 on booting this? If so what were the results?

Yes. I could bring up the recovery utility program but it could not find the recovery files. I think Norton Ghost 2003 messed it up.

Snorkbox
08-07-2010, 12:34 PM
So how do you know the hidden partition is still there?

Sorry for the questions but I'm trying to get to the root of the matter and I can't see your PC from here. Any error messages?

bk T
08-07-2010, 02:33 PM
So how do you know the hidden partition is still there?

Sorry for the questions but I'm trying to get to the root of the matter and I can't see your PC from here. Any error messages?

Took it out, connected it to another PC.