PDA

View Full Version : Bios memory test X 3 times?

01-09-2001, 09:01 AM
When I reboot, the bios goes through the 'memory test' 3 times. Now I have 3 partitions, windows, linux, and swap, so I guess this is why. I have just added 256MB of ram (its so cheap!) and now have 320MB total, which is checked 3 times on boot up:-(
Is it necessary to have a memory test on boot up and can it be disabled, or at least, reduced to just once instead of 3 times, and if so, How?
Thanks.

01-09-2001, 09:23 AM
You don't mention what brand of PC or type of Bios you have. However, if you can get into bios setup (F1 on many PCs, Ctrl F10 on Compaq boxes) you should be able to select an option for the faster startup (also called self test and sometimes POST (power on self test). You can also sometimes turn it off completely, or just turn off or speed up the memory check.
Give it a try.

01-09-2001, 10:12 AM
Whahoo, Rob Clake NZ's ace palm pilot, a pleasure.
OK, sorry for leaving out the details, Its an old PC Direct PII 233 which even after 3 years is a fast and scaleable machine. the Bios is Award Modular V4.51PG. (DEL to enter)
Anyway, I enabled a thing called Quick power on self test, which on reboot, still tested memory, but only once. Thanks.
Oh, One other thing, I just up graded to win98, only because I bought an awesome camera (Kodak DX3600) that needs win98 OS, other wise 95 was ok. The biggest pain is the huge delay when making a dial up connection at the end while logging on to net work. It takes around a minute to complete the connection. Is there a tweak to speed this up? I have tried TweakIU, which changed the MTU and the other thing, but once connected the data transfer seem to stall, so I put it back to windows settings. The modem is a Dynalink voicecard 56pro V14456VQH-R. It got pinged by lightening a while back & I had to remove it and replace to get it to work, but now usually only connects at 26400 whereas it use to be 38000, but I am not worried about that.
I am spending more & more time in Linux now and is starting to feel like home.

Cheers Robbo,

O.