PDA

View Full Version : Fair Go iTunes story

nofam
07-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Hmmmm am I missing something here, or is this simply a case of a dimwit who didn't have Antivirus, and caught a trojan/keylogger??

Oh wait, Macs don't get virus's, so it can't be that. . . . . . :rolleyes:

PaulD
07-07-2010, 09:34 PM
He's had a party or two, what are the chances that whoever spent the money on his account was at one?

Speedy Gonzales
07-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Depends WHEN it happened. Since Itunes store itself was hacked. And has been hacked more than once. And it was hacked the other day as well

Pato
07-07-2010, 09:43 PM
Depends WHEN it happened. Since Itunes store itself was hacked. And has been hacked more than once. And it was hacked the the other day as wellHow do you safeguard yourself in that case then.?

Speedy Gonzales
07-07-2010, 09:47 PM
Its apple's prob / fault not yours. Dont use credit cards, buy one of those Itunes cards instead. Or dont use Itunes. Rip the cd, if you've got it

goodiesguy
07-07-2010, 10:14 PM
who uses itunes. its a resource hogging stupid thing. i only use it on my mac (and even that dosent get used, i must put its 160gb hard drive in my pc and shove a smaller one in it)

nofam
07-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Depends WHEN it happened. Since Itunes store itself was hacked. And has been hacked more than once. And it was hacked the other day as well

Thanks Speedy - didn't know that (and Fair Go didn't say so either) . . . . .the article was totally vague on how the guy's details were leaked, but Apple told him it wasn't interested, and the issue was between him and his bank/credit card company.

pcuser42
07-07-2010, 10:27 PM
(and even that dosent get used, i must put its 160gb hard drive in my pc and shove a smaller one in it)

Apple won't let you do that :p

goodiesguy
07-07-2010, 10:31 PM
its not an original apple drive, is a pc one thats been formatted for mac os, it came in it when it was given to me. it also had a seagate 80gb sitting in it, all nice and shiny

pctek
08-07-2010, 08:42 AM
Thanks Speedy - didn't know that (and Fair Go didn't say so either) . . . . .the article was totally vague on how the guy's details were leaked, but Apple told him it wasn't interested, and the issue was between him and his bank/credit card company.

I wondered until they pointed out loads of people all over the world had the same problem, then I figured it was their site.

With credit cards, you are safe, but pretty stink of Apple. Unsurprising though.

Sue
08-07-2010, 09:37 AM
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/07/07/only_400_itunes_accounts_compromised_in_fraud_appl e_says.html

Rouge developer banned.
Less than 400 accounts hacked out of 150 million.

wainuitech
08-07-2010, 10:18 AM
who uses itunes. its a resource hogging stupid thing. i only use it on my mac (and even that dosent get used, i must put its 160gb hard drive in my pc and shove a smaller one in it)Millions of people use it. Its only as quoted "its a resource hogging stupid thing" If your PC doesn't have enough power in the first place. I run it on all our PC's here, and even the lowest powered one runs it perfectly.

Trev
08-07-2010, 11:06 AM
The problem was that the guy also stored his credit card number on Apples site, so when it got hacked they got the numbers. The moral of the story is when you get asked if you want to store your number on there site select no. This also goes for other online stores as will.
:)

The Error Guy
08-07-2010, 11:33 AM
If someone DID develop a virus for mac it would go rampant. I forgot his name but Neowin reported on the 2010 security conference this year and one of their top hackers said mac users were arrogant of the risks. An apple computer may not get a virus but it can still be subject to phishing and info stealing over the internet. If an apple virus was released there would be not much people could do to stop it if it was written right it could take over most of the apple world. A simple Itunes hack could spread infected files to millions of users a day.

Apple need to get things straight. you never hear of the Microsoft websites getting hacked!

UberHiker
08-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Its apple's prob / fault not yours. Dont use credit cards, buy one of those Itunes cards instead. Or dont use Itunes. Rip the cd, if you've got it

Good idea on the iTunes cards, but you're wrong about this being Apple's fault. Their servers have not been hacked, it was that guy's account. Him and about 400 other iTunes users (out of millions if Apple's stats are correct). Those accounts being "hacked" does not mean anything was wrong at Apple, it means his user name and password got into the hands of the "hackers". Most likely thing is that he followed some phishing link and he literally told the bad guys his password.

Now it should be pretty easy for Apple to refund his money, delete the purchases from his account (so that he doesn't get to use the apps, otherwise everyone would buy apps and claim they were hacked), then refuse to pay the developers of the apps that he didn't purchase. They already have a system for refunds that works just like this.

Well, that and ***** slap FairGo for such a crap story. Expecting MagnumMac to have an iTunes rep? That's like storming into Harvey Norman and demanding to speak to someone about why Sony over charged their Playstation account (if playstation accounts exist).

goodiesguy
08-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Why use iTunes when their is much better software that does the job faster and better like Foobar2000 which i use, it's great

UberHiker
08-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Why use iTunes when their is much better software that does the job faster and better like Foobar2000 which i use, it's great

Because you can't load apps onto your iPhone with Foobar2000, and thus it doesn't do the job. Just to be clear, this news story was caused by developers getting hold of account details, buying their own apps and giving good reviews, causing them to move up the charts and thus bring in more sales.

goodiesguy
08-07-2010, 04:55 PM
i don't have an iphone so itunes has no use for me

plod
08-07-2010, 05:19 PM
i don't have an iphone so itunes has no use for me

You are a moron.

And Mods, please check the dictionary before banning me

wainuitech
08-07-2010, 06:40 PM
i don't have an iphone so itunes has no use for me Just because a person doesn't like a piece of software that doesn't mean every one else has to hate it as well.

There are millions of happy users of Itunes.

re Plods comment: :p looked it up on several dictionary's Hmmmmmmm (I do know what it means) but the "options of one " make it interesting
A person who makes uncool, unfunny, uninteresting, or irrelevant (see lame) attempts to impress others and draw attention to himself,

I did watch the Fair go program at lunch today after reading this thread -- Interesting, appears many people got stung by the hacker(s).

goodiesguy
08-07-2010, 08:06 PM
i just watched the fair go programme. thank god i don't buy music off the net.

The Error Guy
08-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Nothing left worth buying anyway. I just have a massive swag of vinyl. that will keep me going for a 1000 years.

Agent_24
08-07-2010, 09:05 PM
I refuse to buy inferior quality audio files compressed in a lossy format from iTunes (or any other online store) when I can buy a perfectly good CD elsewhere.

Now, if iTunes switched exclusively to FLAC... But that's not going to happen. Even if by some miracle they do decide to sell CD Quality (or higher) stuff, they will want to use one of their own stupid proprietary formats.

goodiesguy
08-07-2010, 09:40 PM
CD's are inferior quality. I only buy Vinyl as it s superior

plod
08-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Just because a person doesn't like a piece of software that doesn't mean every one else has to hate it as well.

There are millions of happy users of Itunes.

re Plods comment: :p looked it up on several dictionary's Hmmmmmmm (I do know what it means) but the "options of one " make it interesting

I did watch the Fair go program at lunch today after reading this thread -- Interesting, appears many people got stung by the hacker(s).

I was actually going for
"misused term for a person with a mental age between 8 and 12"

considering school holidays.

there does seem to be conflicting reports of how many accounts were compromised.Apple say 400 out of 150 million. And I'm really not sure what magnummac and Renaissance were meant too do about it. their are not apple NZ. Only resellers. Fair go should have gone after HN, NL and DSE for all the good it would have done them, after all their are all resellers.

goodiesguy
08-07-2010, 10:19 PM
+1

Agent_24
08-07-2010, 11:21 PM
CD's are inferior quality. I only buy Vinyl as it s superior

Vinyl is good in its own way, I have a collection myself, but CDs are much better in many ways.

Dust is a major issue with Vinyl but it takes a lot of damage to render a CD unplayable.

The CD is also not physically worn away slowly by contact with a sharp needle every time it is played which over time reduces the quality.

I hope you have a tube amplifier to go with your turntable for best results!

In any case the argument was not betwee CD and Vinyl but between CD and Lossy formats such as MP3

wainuitech
08-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Considering what Fairgo is all about, rip offs, scams etc, trying to take on Itunes/Apple wouldn't exactly be easy to do.

Itunes are not all bad when it comes to fixing stuff-ups.

They had a stuff up with my account roughly a year back.

They sorted it reasonably quick,(3 days, 2 of which was our weekend) and not only credited me with the Songs I purchased (and still keep the songs) but also added in 10 more of my choosing for free due to the inconvenience it caused.

And what was the stuff-up ???

Simple, I selected the album I wanted, paid for it, the transaction went through - but wouldn't let me download.

UberHiker
09-07-2010, 09:47 AM
Even if by some miracle they do decide to sell CD Quality (or higher) stuff, they will want to use one of their own stupid proprietary formats.

AAC is supposed to achieve better audio quality for the same bit rate, but it's also standardised by ISO and Sony use it on the PlaySation.

Then there is Apple Lossless, which exactly what you're talking about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Lossless

GreacherTech
09-07-2010, 10:11 AM

Look at your system...and then blame iTunes for your computer being slow.

I dare ya.

Agent_24
09-07-2010, 01:20 PM
AAC is supposed to achieve better audio quality for the same bit rate, but it's also standardised by ISO and Sony use it on the PlaySation.

Then there is Apple Lossless, which exactly what you're talking about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Lossless

Yes "AAC generally achieves better sound quality than MP3 at similar bit rates"

That does not mean that it is CD quality. All it means is that they have a compression algorithm that is more efficient. The file is still compressed in a lossy way, which is not what I want.

Apple lossless might be better quality, but iTunes store doesn't actually sell anything in that format does it?

And then of course there comes the problem that it is an Apple-proprietary format which will only work on iPods etc and is not open source.

icow
11-07-2010, 07:20 PM
who uses itunes. its a resource hogging stupid thing. i only use it on my mac (and even that dosent get used, i must put its 160gb hard drive in my pc and shove a smaller one in it)

I thought you hated macs
man i hate apple lovers

Renmoo
11-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Uhm. Is there a hideous troll roaming in this thread?

goodiesguy
11-07-2010, 08:07 PM
i do hate macs to a degree. but i couldn't turn down a free one from my uncle

pcuser42
11-07-2010, 08:28 PM
i do hate macs to a degree. but i couldn't turn down a free one from my uncle

I could :p

goodiesguy
11-07-2010, 08:29 PM
it was free. and it had a 160gb hard drive in it. it beats my old 40gb and 80gb hard drives which are no longer in use

The Error Guy
11-07-2010, 10:42 PM
A mate at school is stoked with his uber priced Macbook pro. way to go. for the same price you could have gotten a 3x better (hardware standard) x86 based machine. In my view unless you really need an apple OS for what you are doing they charge too much for what you get. Apples ipod phone etc are different. I kinda like them :rolleyes:

goodiesguy
11-07-2010, 11:02 PM
i think apples are overpriced too. i agree the error guy

Agent_24
12-07-2010, 12:04 AM
I have an Apple too, in fact. A PowerPC 6100\66 :lol:

icow
12-07-2010, 10:30 AM
i think apples are overpriced too. i agree the error guy

Holy crap yes. you can buy a pc with a million times better specs for half the price. The only good thing about the price is that they ALWAYS stick good stuff in them ie Core 2 Duos were as some pc's are still running around with celerons and pentiums yuk! Still they are over priced. So are Intel CPU's compared to AMD ones.

Agent_24
12-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Holy crap yes. you can buy a pc with a million times better specs for half the price. The only good thing about the price is that they ALWAYS stick good stuff in them ie Core 2 Duos were as some pc's are still running around with celerons and pentiums yuk! Still they are over priced. So are Intel CPU's compared to AMD ones.

There's more to it than just a decent CPU, though.

Lot of Apples on Badcaps.net needing their motherboard capacitors replaced...

With a custom build you can choose the board yourself, and then you know exactly what kind of quality you are getting.