PDA

View Full Version : Cheap PC

icow
07-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Is this a good deal. The parts are coming from Elive. I Already have a HD and DVD drive @ home.

wainuitech
07-07-2010, 06:57 PM
The power Supply in that case is a real basic, cheapo type PSU - I'd get a better PSU - case its self is OK for a basic Case.

Personal opinion here -- MSI motherboards -- Dont like them, have seen to many failures.

Rest doesn't look to bad, depending on what you want to do with it.

Nomad
07-07-2010, 07:47 PM
doesn't some cpu have a included fan - retail package. if you want a cheap system i wouldn't debat on what cpu you want in terms of performacne, imo, all do a decent job for normal home office stuff....

GB or Asus mobo i think, better psu, something like a $100 isn't it, at least Antec has one at that price.

in terms of price you coudl get a $75 system single core intel 3.0ghz on trademe if you just need a simple one. heaps cheaper. just upgrade the ram maybe, the 40GB ish hdd should be ok for many people.

8ftmetalhaed
07-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Ya, unless you're planning to overclock you won't need a better than stock cpu cooler, which will come with the package.

Also, at least 2gb of ram should be on your list, if not 4gb.

And yes. a better psu will be ABSOLUTELY necessary.
The one in that case will be so naff it'll probably blow up before you even plug it into anything.

In all seriousness it might be an idea to save up just a bit more cash for a better pc. Even if you want to do the most basic of activities, you might find the current setup a bit of a struggle.

icow
07-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Ok thanks, I've re-selected hardware to come up with this.
(2gb RAM isn't there 'cause ddr3 is pricey)

Snorkbox
08-07-2010, 12:43 AM
But surely the motherboard will take more than one stick?

goodiesguy
08-07-2010, 12:51 AM
ddr3? why does everyone talk about ddr2 and ddr3, i thought they were superceeded by what i have which is ddr400

Sweep
08-07-2010, 12:59 AM
ddr400 is older and slower than DDR3.

qazwsxokmijn
08-07-2010, 01:20 AM
ddr3? why does everyone talk about ddr2 and ddr3, i thought they were superceeded by what i have which is ddr400
:lol:

DDR 400 is DDR1.....then came along DDR2, and now DDR3. Besides, do you really think a nearly decade-old PC would supersede much these days?

8ftmetalhaed
08-07-2010, 01:22 AM
ya.

Anyway, you could swap out that case for one that's got no included psu, you'd probably get either a better case or money for more ram.

goodiesguy
08-07-2010, 01:58 AM
my pc is 6 yrs old, not nearly a decade

Agent_24
08-07-2010, 02:00 AM
I wouldn't get that Gigabyte PSU. That one says 550 Watts but actually it's just a rebranded 450 Watt PSU from AcBel - Gigabyte are liars, it can only do 550 Watt peak.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Gigabyte-Superb-550P-Power-Supply-Review/968

A Corsair 400CX should be just fine for that system, and cheaper. It's also got much better ripple\noise than the Gigabyte. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/750

If you think you'll upgrade soon or get a powerful video card etc, get a bigger one, but I would not recommend the Gigabyte, it's a ripoff anyway (In fact you can probably buy the AcBel that it's based off for less!)

Personal opinion here -- MSI motherboards -- Dont like them, have seen to many failures.

Ironically I have had more problems with Asus than MSI, so personally I don't like Asus boards.

My friend has two Socket A MSI boards which are still running, and he's had 3 Asus of socket AM2 and higher which have died.

I've had 1 MSI which was flaky and 2 Asus which died.

I'm sure Asus isn't really that bad, it just seems my friend and I have had bad luck! But I sure wouldn't bother buying another Asus for myself.

qazwsxokmijn
08-07-2010, 02:12 AM
my pc is 6 yrs old, not nearly a decade
IIRC XP 2600+ was released back in 2002....so it is quite old.

Anyway, I've had a couple of MSI products and both did the job. Sure, the MSI motherboard completely sucked at overclocking, but from what I've seen and heard these days MSI are making great products.

Nomad
08-07-2010, 08:56 AM
I wouldn't get that Gigabyte PSU. That one says 550 Watts but actually it's just a rebranded 450 Watt PSU from AcBel - Gigabyte are liars, it can only do 550 Watt peak.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Gigabyte-Superb-550P-Power-Supply-Review/968

A Corsair 400CX should be just fine for that system, and cheaper. It's also got much better ripple\noise than the Gigabyte. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/750

If you think you'll upgrade soon or get a powerful video card etc, get a bigger one, but I would not recommend the Gigabyte, it's a ripoff anyway (In fact you can probably buy the AcBel that it's based off for less!)

Ironically I have had more problems with Asus than MSI, so personally I don't like Asus boards.

My friend has two Socket A MSI boards which are still running, and he's had 3 Asus of socket AM2 and higher which have died.

I've had 1 MSI which was flaky and 2 Asus which died.

I'm sure Asus isn't really that bad, it just seems my friend and I have had bad luck! But I sure wouldn't bother buying another Asus for myself.

dunno eh .. we only have basic PCs me's a quad with 4GB with a mid ATI that's about it, everyone else is maybe a onboard video, but we just get the cheapest generally with a good brand chipset. ie, not VIA.

i found out i haven't played one game on mine so i could of gotten a onboard video..... and a cheaper chipset cos eSATA is just a bracket wired to the mobo.

we had GB mobo's been sweet, until one day I managed to insert cpu in the wrong way. we had maxtor hdds for close to 10yrs and still a hitachi laptop hdd for over 10yrs which is still going.

had only my first ever asus 1yr ago .. it's going alright.

wainuitech
08-07-2010, 09:38 AM
DDR 400 is DDR1.....then came along DDR2, and now DDR3. Besides, do you really think a nearly decade-old PC would supersede much these days? One thing you can ad in as well, the correct memory has to go in the correct boards.

Some people seem to think you can put in what ever memory you want, you cant.
The different types of memory are not interchangeable, if a board has DDR2 you have to use DDR2, same with DDR3, use what ever the board takes.

Some boards, but very few have both DDR2 & DDR3 slots, but most of the newer ones have DDR3.