PDA

View Full Version : Defining tikanga

Cicero
07-07-2010, 02:18 PM
From a article I read,the tikangs bit I found interesting,do you find the same?

The Attorney General has stated that National’s proposed law, which will undoubtedly open the floodgates to a new Maori grievance industry, will rely heavily on the concept of “tikanga” Maori. To help to clarify what that means, I will leave you with the definition of “tikanga” used by the Waitangi Tribunal in its report on the Crown’s foreshore and seabed policy:

“…everything is about tikanga, and tikanga is about everything. In the traditional Maori world view there is no matter that does not have tikanga attached to it, and the foreshore and seabed are quintessentially bound up with tikanga. Tikanga imbues consideration of every aspect of the elements themselves, and how humans interact with them.”

pctek
07-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Tikanga Māori

The Māori word tikanga has a wide range of meanings — culture, custom, ethic, etiquette, fashion, formality, lore, manner, meaning, mechanism, method, protocol, style.

Generally taken to mean "the Māori way of doing things", it is derived from the Māori word tika meaning 'right' or 'correct'.

kahawai chaser
07-07-2010, 03:19 PM
I think also involves a wider family (whanau) approach in a holistic manner often involving a large meeting (hui) even at a national level involving tribes (iwi) and politicians.

kenj
07-07-2010, 03:49 PM
I thought it was a trigger word which was used to make people say "How much?"

Ken

prefect
07-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Tikanga:
I was going to say something but I will only get banned.

Sweep
07-07-2010, 03:55 PM
I thought it was a trigger word which was used to make people say "How much?"

Ken

Koha perhaps?

Cicero
07-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Quite handy having a word that means everything,that should cover any claim they might have.

B.M.
07-07-2010, 06:32 PM
Well Muldoon once said that Winston Peters would be NZ’s first Maori Prime Minister.

He was wrong, Hone Key is.

I just can’t understand why Key is so hell bent in separatism.

Fair go, he'll start a war the way he's going.

Twelvevolts
07-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Well Muldoon once said that Winston Peters would be NZ’s first Maori Prime Minister.

Haven't noted a single thing that suggests Key is involved in separatism, to what do you refer??

Cato
07-07-2010, 06:51 PM

Winnie is against separatism! Vote Winnie! :D

B.M.
07-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Haven't noted a single thing that suggests Key is involved in separatism, to what do you refer??

Pointless explaining to you. I’ve read some of your other posts. :lol:

mikebartnz
07-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Well he made the whole foreshore issue resurface again when most Maori with any sort of claim to the foreshore were reasonably happy with the status quo.

R2x1
07-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Tikanga is the defining quality that determines if a Treaty claim is appropriate. (Like, for some TV channels.) It is working well.

Twelvevolts
07-07-2010, 11:26 PM
Pointless explaining to you. I’ve read some of your other posts. :lol:

In other words you have no idea.

Cicero
08-07-2010, 09:51 AM
In other words you have no idea.

In other words,he has decided he is not a wall talker.

KenESmith
08-07-2010, 12:33 PM
This sort of crap at a National level is one of the reasons I decided to retire in Australia - Yes, I got absolutely fed -up with the Maori grievance industry crippling the country, combined with the all pervasive Kiwi atmosphere of Political Correctness.
If New Zealand wants to be a modern nation there imust one law, one standard one people and it must apply to everyone - namely stop being individual groups and all be New Zealanders first and foremost- not just when the All Blacks win.

kahawai chaser
08-07-2010, 12:55 PM
This sort of crap at a National level is one of the reasons I decided to retire in Australia - Yes, I got absolutely fed -up with the Maori grievance industry crippling the country, combined with the all pervasive Kiwi atmosphere of Political Correctness.
If New Zealand wants to be a modern nation there imust one law, one standard one people and it must apply to everyone - namely stop being individual groups and all be New Zealanders first and foremost- not just when the All Blacks win.

But don't Australia have some corrupt laws (state level)? And they were terrible to the aboriginals - still overtly calling them racist names (of note in rugby league) - and aboriginals probably have minimal government recourse for any sort of grievance.

KenESmith
08-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Its not corrupt laws in Australia - so much as corrupt and self serving politicians - there are several now doing serious porridge for corruption and rorting the system, but Australia has not got a monopoly on that, police corruption has been a major problem, particularly from the point of view of sharing in the spoils of organised drugs and vice crime.
The Aboriginals by and large certainly don't enjoy the good life in Australia, but in part this is because they stoically resist joining the 21st century, in many instances preferring a "traditional" lifestyle to working.
There is no shortage of money thrown at Aboriginal Communities, probably a lot of it is misdirected and wasted, and when the Howard Government stepped in and attempted to sort out some of the more serious problems in the Northern Territory, they were accused by the bleeeding heart liberals of practising oppressive paternalism.
Economically Australia is very strong, and this is the single greatest factor in ensuring that the citezens do enjoy a high standard of living.

Most New Zealnders are too young to know that in the 1960s New Zealnders enjoyed the second highest standard of living in the world.
WHAT WENT WRONG.

prefect
08-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Its not corrupt laws in Australia - so much as corrupt and self serving politicians - there are several now doing serious porridge for corruption and rorting the system, but Australia has not got a monopoly on that, police corruption has been a major problem, particularly from the point of view of sharing in the spoils of organised drugs and vice crime.
The Aboriginals by and large certainly don't enjoy the good life in Australia, but in part this is because they stoically resist joining the 21st century, in many instances preferring a "traditional" lifestyle to working.
There is no shortage of money thrown at Aboriginal Communities, probably a lot of it is misdirected and wasted, and when the Howard Government stepped in and attempted to sort out some of the more serious problems in the Northern Territory, they were accused by the bleeeding heart liberals of practising oppressive paternalism.
Economically Australia is very strong, and this is the single greatest factor in ensuring that the citezens do enjoy a high standard of living.

Most New Zealnders are too young to know that in the 1960s New Zealnders enjoyed the second highest standard of living in the world.
WHAT WENT WRONG.

The world stopped buying our wool and mutton thats what went wrong.
England has short memory forgot we helped them in Boer and WW1 and 2.

Cicero
08-07-2010, 02:31 PM
But don't Australia have some corrupt laws (state level)? And they were terrible to the aboriginals - still overtly calling them racist names (of note in rugby league) - and aboriginals probably have minimal government recourse for any sort of grievance.

Muldoon happened.