PDA

View Full Version : Ipod Touch iOS4

Pato
05-07-2010, 04:24 PM
I have tried several times to get this from iTunes and each time it appears to download ok
It then tells me that there was a download error and the network connection timed out. No indication here. Any suggestions please.?

Speedy Gonzales
05-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Download it manually if you can.

GameJunkie
05-07-2010, 04:28 PM
you have to have itunes 9.2 before it'll let you download.

Pato
05-07-2010, 04:33 PM
you have to have itunes 9.2 before it'll let you download.I have v9.2. It appears to download it each time but then comes up with the above message. Could it be a problem with my PC or with iTunes.?

Speedy Gonzales
05-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Does it show an error code?

Pato
05-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Does it show an error code?No. Just displays:
"There was a problem downloading the software for the iPod "iPod Touch". The network connection timed out"
Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active or try again later.

Speedy Gonzales
05-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Could be a firewall (if you've got one besides windows one). Kill it. Are you using a proxy?? If you are kill it. If both dont apply, trying downloading it

GameJunkie
05-07-2010, 07:43 PM
try another pc??

davidmmac
05-07-2010, 10:12 PM
No. Just displays:
"There was a problem downloading the software for the iPod "iPod Touch". The network connection timed out"
Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active or try again later.

I had exactly the same problem, wasted about a GB of data trying to download it before I downloaded it manually off this site (http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/)(credit goes to Chilling Silence for the link :thumbs:). Just hold the shift key while clicking the Update button in itunes to select the downloaded file :).

Chilling_Silence
05-07-2010, 11:31 PM
Thanks davidmmac ;)

Doesn't sound like any kind of a firewall whatever issue, just that you're losing your connection halfway through the download.

Use a download manager and grab it from the site that davidmmac linked to and you'll be good as gold

Pato
06-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Thanks Davidmmac and Chilling to the rescue once again.
I will give that a go as after several tries via iTunes I was about to give up. Cheers.

Pato
06-07-2010, 05:12 PM
I had exactly the same problem, wasted about a GB of data trying to download it before I downloaded it manually off this site (http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/)(credit goes to Chilling Silence for the link :thumbs:). Just hold the shift key while clicking the Update button in itunes to select the downloaded file :).I downloaded the file (iPod3,1_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw) and although it appears in downloads in Firefox, it doesn't appear in my normal download folder (E:\Downloads) so I can't get to it from iTunes which has me baffled.
I just downloaded another file for a test and that file appears in my normal "Downloads" folder. Am I missing something with this particular file.?

Chilling_Silence
06-07-2010, 06:24 PM
It should download there, provided you're telling firefox to "Save it" instead of "Open it".

From there, in iTunes, hold the Shift key when clicking on Update as davidmmac mentioned.

First, save and find the file.

Does it appear in your downloads list? Right-click on it and choose "Open containing folder"

Pato
06-07-2010, 06:37 PM
It should download there, provided you're telling firefox to "Save it" instead of "Open it".

From there, in iTunes, hold the Shift key when clicking on Update as davidmmac mentioned.

First, save and find the file.

Does it appear in your downloads list? Right-click on it and choose "Open containing folder"Yes it appears in the downloads list but right-click on "Open containing folder" doesn't do anything.
I can't understand why it doesn't show up in my "Download" folder. I have never struck this before.

Pato
07-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Yes it appears in the downloads list but right-click on "Open containing folder" doesn't do anything.
I can't understand why it doesn't show up in my "Download" folder. I have never struck this before.

I have come to the conclusion that it must be the type of file as all other downloads go the stipulated Download folder!!

Chilling_Silence
07-07-2010, 03:05 PM
Use a different download manager then :)

http://www.google.com/chrome is your friend!

Pato
07-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Use a different download manager then :)

http://www.google.com/chrome is your friend!Tried Chrome and was able to do the upgrade. I am still very puzzled why I couldn't get the file via Firefox as I have been able to do with all other downloads. Thanks once again for all your help. Cheers.