PDA

View Full Version : Finding the owner of this Hotspot connection ?

Chilling_Silence
04-07-2010, 06:32 PM
Hi all,

So I'm away with my wife for our wedding anniversary, just staying in a hotel in town. We've basically found a WiFi Hotspot that we paid for two days worth of use (300MB) but it's absolutely terrible and we feel somewhat ripped off.

Long story short (From all my deductions):
They're using a Micronet SP913 which looks just like the NetComm HS1100
It connects to a NetGear MBR814 (Which indicates a wireless WAN connection)
Current IP Address: 203.211.87.153 resolves to ue.woosh.co.nz -- That explains the shoddy connection a little?
Pages fail to load 4/5 times
Throughput is around 100kbps (12-15KB/sec) at best
My connection to the WiFi is always good
The WAN connection at times even appears to totally drop. If it's not off, it's pings suck and there's around 20% packet loss half the time (Though zero packet loss to the Hotspot)

The Hotspot had an address of sales@wirelesshospitalityinternet.co.nz but when I email that address it bounces, turns out the domain is "available" to register :(

On top of that, Paypal.com was never properly added into the walled garden, meaning I had to plug in my XT Data Card (Which has like $2 on it) at just the right time in order to get it to redirect from the Hotspot to Paypal so I could pay, and then pull the data card out at the right time again so it would redirect me back to the router to get my username and password.

I know it's only $12 but I feel thoroughly ripped off and want to discuss things with the owner. I understand that a refund isn't terribly likely, but I sure as hell feel within my rights to try.

What's likely the best way to track down the owner? Should I contact Woosh directly and see what they say? Anybody happen to know the default passwords used on those Wireless routers so I can try and track down a Username that's being used? :D

Cheers :thanks

Chill.

SP8's
04-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Considering you were away on your anniversary ... I'm surprised you're still alive.

My SWMBO would have given me a 3 hour lecture about which "wireless hotspots" I should be concentrating on ...

Not allowed to take lappy, rod or rifle away on anniversary ... and you're complaining about being ripped off for $12 ... :waughh:

PinoyKiw
04-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Considering you were away on your anniversary ... I'm surprised you're still alive.

My SWMBO would have given me a 3 hour lecture about which "wireless hotspots" I should be concentrating on ...

Not allowed to take lappy, rod or rifle away on anniversary ... and you're complaining about being ripped off for $12 ... :waughh:

I was just about to say the same thing. I am not allowed to have a laptop or cellphone when wife and I are away on pvt time.

In saying that, not sure how much help Whoosh might give you, they might cite the privacy act. First person I would talk to is the motel owner whom I assume you are connecting through as they probably have some sort of contract with wirelesshospitalityinternet and may know who to contact.

mikebartnz
04-07-2010, 09:09 PM
Anybody happen to know the default passwords used on those Wireless routers so I can try and track down a Username that's being used? :D
Not a good idea as it may be misinterpreted.

Chilling_Silence
04-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Yeah she was sleeping while I was surfing. Funny thing is, she suggested we take the Wii to keep us entertained in between other "activities" during the day :D

ubergeek85
05-07-2010, 10:56 AM
I'd just get a copy of netstumbler (or similar) and try to triangulate the physical location of the AP. Provided they haven't set it up to have multiple AP's...

Nmap and metasploit?