PDA

View Full Version : Windows Update Files Stop Installing

31-08-2001, 12:45 PM
Hi, I have been having trouble lately with Windows updates installing.Latest example Explorer6 stops at 87%.Have tried disabling Norton Antivirus even uninstalling it.Removed all oem temp files.Deleted Windows update folder as per Microsoft Product instructions.Needless to say any help would be greatly appreciated thank you very much. Richard

31-08-2001, 02:57 PM
Which version of windows are you running?

If its 95, they probably didn't test it much as they only really support 98SE up.

BTW Why do you want to downgrade to IE6 anyway, there aren't any really any new features, just lots of marketing.

31-08-2001, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the reply.I'm using Windows ME. Explorer6 is just the latest in a long line of updates which hangs and so fails to install

01-09-2001, 12:38 AM
I have just rebuilt all my PC's at home and reinstalled Win98SE on all and have had nothing but grief with the Windows update site when trying to update each PC. I think its some problem at MS's end as when I do get a good connection everything flies down and installs properly. However I can only get a good/stable connection once out of every 15 attempts at the moment. I am getting disconnects from the server, failed downloads, inability to connect at all and hung connections but If I just keep trying it will eventually work. I would say just keep trying until it takes.

Every failed IE install I have experienced has always picked up properly from where it was when it failed although I have not and have no intention of attempting to go any further than IE 5.5 SP1 as I personally believe the additions to IE above that version are not in my best interests. A couple of friends have upgraded to IE6 and had endless problems with their firewalls and online gaming and as thats the main use I make of my PC I am not going to bother with it.