PDA

View Full Version : Connecting 2 routers, one with wireless

JeffW
02-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Hi Guys,

I'd like to connect a D-Link DSL-504G to a Linksys WRT54GL wireless router so that the D-Link handles the adsl connection only and the Linksys handles all the routing stuff (and wireless of course).

From what I understand the D-Link should be in what's called "half-bridge" mode, and I was wondering if anyone knows how to set up the DSL-504G to be able to do this? I understand it's possible and I've looked around the configuration options but I'm totally in the dark as to how to go about it. :(

I tried changing some settings (just guessing) but that just resulted in losing my internet connection so I've reset them back to the defaults... now I'm at a loss how to continue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Greven
02-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Connect one of the LAN ports on the Dlink to the WAN port on the Linksys. Set a static IP on the linksys WAN settings, then set up a DMZ in the Dlink to forward everything to the Linksys router.

No need for half-bridge

JeffW
02-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Well that seems quite straight forward on the face of it. I'll try it out tomorrow and see how things go. Thanks for the reply. :)

linw
03-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Why not let the D-Link do its normal thing and set the Linksys up as an AP (access point)? Just give the Linksys an IP no. in the same sub-net and all will just work.

JeffW
03-07-2010, 11:43 PM
Hmmm... I'm not sure why. Probably because I figure the Linksys router would be better at handling the routing duties I guess.

stevensaaron
08-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Hi, i am wanting to do a similar thing, but a bit different.

We have 2 phone lines at my house, and i have 2 seperate internet connections (accounts) one line for the main house, and another line out in my bedroom, I am with telecom with a Wireless modem/Router in the House, and i am also with Slingshot and have a wireless modem/router, in my bedroom.

The telecom router is a Thomson TG585v7
And the slingshot router is an Dynalink RTA1025WE.

now what i am wanting to do is be able to connect my Dynalink to the Thomson router, via wireless, if that is possible,

so if i want to use the telecom internet connection i can, but also be able to change and connect to slingshot if i need to,

The wireless signal from the house reaches to my room, so that won't be an issue. and is about 3 bars on my laptop, in my room

so if you get what i am trying to do, any help would be much appreciated.

Chilling_Silence
08-08-2010, 04:38 PM
A few things come to mind here:
1) Putting it in a DMZ isn't the same as half-bridge, the two should not be confused.
2) An easier solution is simply putting the WRT54GL WAN port into the LAN port on the D-Link. Unless you need to forward ports for games etc, then that's literally all you have to do, simple!

stevensaaron:
Perhaps a new thread next time? It's similar, but not the same, better not to tack your information on to the bottom of somebody elses thread ;)

That said, here's the answer:
* Neither of those routers will let you do wireless bridging, so you can't do that
* You could simply set them both up with different SSID's, one called "MyTelecom" and one called "MySlingshot" for example. Just connect between the two different networks depending on which connection you want to use.
* You could potentially link them via a cable, but then you've got to mess around with setting up DHCP on one, to handle both, and changing the gateway each time you want to use another connection -- It's not worthwhile
* Another option is to have something like a computer running Untangle which handles both your internet connections and load-balances between the two. Look up Untangle, it's free software, but that's as far as my advice on that goes -- Again it's probably not your ideal situation.

Hope this helps

Chill.