PDA

View Full Version : This program has preformed an illegal operation....

31-08-2001, 10:02 AM
Whenever we first boot up the computer in the morning after a couple of minutes a window pops up for no paticular reason saying 'this program has preformed an illegal operation & will be shut down'. Usually after restarting it will come right.Some times it might freeze or restart itself, its getting continually worse,
can anybody help??????

31-08-2001, 10:27 AM
Dam have you got Windows RG too? lol.

31-08-2001, 03:50 PM
Run MSCONFIG and disable everything from startup except Systray.

My guess is its a bit of crappy software that has installed itself behind your back.

If you have an older computer it could also be a faulty power supply.

31-08-2001, 05:23 PM
P***** me off to!!!!!!

01-09-2001, 02:00 AM
Sorry to go slightly of subject here.

This thing about not disabling systray is real interesting to me as for ages I wondered why cant you disable it? what does it do?

According to a site I found systray is a battery monitor program (has something to do with batmeter.dll apparently) and I do not see any reason to have any sort of battery monitor running in the background on a desktop PC at all. As such I have happily been using my PC's without it running in the background for months now so why is it that this myth that it has to be left going has grown up around the world? If it is so critical you cannot safely turn it off how come my PC's are stable and very bug free without it and have been for months?

What is the truth about systray? Is it another piece of the MS conspiracy like index.dat?

And speaking of index.dat how about webcheck.dll which is involved with a process completely hidden by windows called MS_Wecheck Monitor (you can expose this process running in the background with the Process's applet in Sisoft Sandra but not anywhere in Windows) which uses my very scarce memory resources.

MS=Microsoft?
WebCheck=checking who on the web
Monitor=what monitoring me?

I would love to know what that is and how to disable it.MS says it something to do with online synchronisation which I do none of whatsoever so why is it running? They say if there is any error involving webcheck.dll to reinstall it but I dont need synchronisation featurs in my email and web browser so I want to remove it. Do you think theres anything on the MS site about how to remove it - of course not!

01-09-2001, 02:01 AM
Sorry to go slightly of subject here.

This thing about not disabling systray is real interesting to me as for ages I wondered why cant you disable it? what does it do?

According to a site I found systray is a battery monitor program (has something to do with batmeter.dll apparently) and I do not see any reason to have any sort of battery monitor running in the background on a desktop PC at all. As such I have happily been using my PC's without it running in the background for months now so why is it that this myth that it has to be left going has grown up around the world? If it is so critical you cannot safely turn it off how come my PC's are stable and very bug free without it and have been for months?

What is the truth about systray? Is it another piece of the MS conspiracy like index.dat?

And speaking of index.dat how about webcheck.dll which is involved with a process completely hidden by windows called MS_Wecheck Monitor (you can expose this process running in the background with the Process's applet in Sisoft Sandra but not anywhere in Windows) which uses my very scarce memory resources.

MS=Microsoft?
WebCheck=checking who on the web
Monitor=what monitoring me?

I would love to know what that is and how to disable it.MS says it something to do with online synchronisation which I do none of whatsoever so why is it running? They say if there is any error involving webcheck.dll to reinstall it but I dont need synchronisation featurs in my email and web browser so I want to remove it. Do you think theres anything on the MS site about how to remove it - of course not!