PDA

View Full Version : Pay up or your PC's toast

pctek
01-07-2010, 04:57 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/3873922/Pay-up-or-your-PCs-toast

Sigh..............will people never learn?

hueybot3000
01-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Who in their right mind would actually believe that themselves and their PC are special and important enough to get a call about a virus on their computer? I mean how many million pc's in the world are infected with viruses, thats a lot of phone calls. Not even Santa could manage that...

nofam
01-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Who in their right mind would actually believe that themselves and their PC are special and important enough to get a call about a virus on their computer? I mean how many million pc's in the world are infected with viruses, thats a lot of phone calls. Not even Santa could manage that...

I may have told this story before, but I did some work a while back for a friend of Mum's, who owns a rather large, successful business, so not a silly lady by any stretch. . . . .She used to cover her home PC with a towel every night to stop virus's, and also used to pay a chap several hundred dollars a go to come and update her business software; that's where I came in, as said chap was away one of these occasions. When I got there, the 'update' literally consisted of popping a floppy disk into a PC, and typing run.exe from a DOS prompt. She was appalled that I wouldn't take $200, and in the end, talked me up to $60 for what was about 3 minutes of waiting.

In short, some otherwise quite savvy people are completely naive where IT is concerned. :o

pctek
01-07-2010, 05:40 PM
a friend of Mum's, who owns a rather large, successful business, . . . . used to cover her home PC with a towel every night to stop virus's, and also used to pay a chap several hundred dollars a go to come and update her business software, the 'update' literally consisted of popping a floppy disk into a PC, and typing run.exe from a DOS prompt.

Owning a business does not make you smart.
I've seen all kinds of idiots who owned businesses.

Greven
01-07-2010, 07:02 PM
I may have told this story before, but I did some work a while back for a friend of Mum's, who owns a rather large, successful business, so not a silly lady by any stretch. . . . .She used to cover her home PC with a towel every night to stop virus's, and also used to pay a chap several hundred dollars a go to come and update her business software; that's where I came in, as said chap was away one of these occasions. When I got there, the 'update' literally consisted of popping a floppy disk into a PC, and typing run.exe from a DOS prompt. She was appalled that I wouldn't take $200, and in the end, talked me up to $60 for what was about 3 minutes of waiting.

In short, some otherwise quite savvy people are completely naive where IT is concerned. :o

I have a customer who pays me to install a simple update a couple of times per year. I have told them they could do it themselves, but they would rather pay me to do it.

george12
01-07-2010, 09:20 PM
I have a customer who pays me to install a simple update a couple of times per year. I have told them they could do it themselves, but they would rather pay me to do it.

It's an interesting theme, I have a few customers who say that - that they "could work it all out themselves" or whatever, but just don't have the time and would rather pay me. Fair enough.

I can change my own oil etc in my car, but these days choose to get it serviced at my mechanic instead, for convenience really.

Agent_24
01-07-2010, 10:53 PM
I prefer to do things myself because then I know what was done, how it was done, and if it was up to an acceptable standard or not.

goodiesguy
01-07-2010, 11:14 PM
I prefer to do things myself because then I know what was done, how it was done, and if it was up to an acceptable standard or not.

i agree. i don't let anyone near my pc

Cicero
02-07-2010, 09:06 AM

A case of being smart at one thing doesn't make you smart at all things.

prefect
02-07-2010, 09:17 AM

You have to be an idiot to own a business now, especially in a recession.
Staff want more pay (they can get ******), ACC up with rego. carbon tax on diesel and electricity. If you fix a gearbox on a truck and the indicator lamp goes its your fault. People expect you to tender for school runs at less than what the operating costs are.
People dont pay their bills on time. Some mornings I just dont even want to get out of bed and go to work. the non idiots are the ones with a wage and salary they havent got a worry in the world, the idiots are ones trying to run a small business in NZ.

wainuitech
02-07-2010, 10:21 AM
You have to be an idiot to own a business now, especially in a recession.
Staff want more pay (they can get ******), ACC up with rego. carbon tax on diesel and electricity. If you fix a gearbox on a truck and the indicator lamp goes its your fault. People expect you to tender for school runs at less than what the operating costs are.
People dont pay their bills on time. Some mornings I just dont even want to get out of bed and go to work. the non idiots are the ones with a wage and salary they havent got a worry in the world, the idiots are ones trying to run a small business in NZ.Agree with most of that - BUT even though I run my own business I wouldn't go work for someone else unless I really had to. It was close a few months back :D But I dug in, f***k IT-- Time to make some changes - which I did -- back on track again (well 99%)

One of the problems is
the non idiots are the ones with a wage and salary Not really -- some people are never happy, and demand more and more. Its not till they are on the other end of their job ( the boss) that they really know what its like.

Its almost as if they think a business has a bottomless pit of $$ -- Sooner or later they may find that they now have no job as the business closes down due to not enough income.

Poppa John
02-07-2010, 10:28 AM

PJ, Don't say it. You will get banned!!!!! PJ:ban:lol: