PDA

View Full Version : Disposing and getting another vehicle

Nomad
30-06-2010, 04:36 PM
The folks had this car since I learnt to drive in 1995, it's a 1992 model.

The WOF and rego just got renewed but last weekend we took to our mechanic for an assessment. The water pump needs repairing but given the value of the vehicle it was not worth it.

So ..
1) They don't want to deal with a private sale (or Trademe) so how do they dispose it? They thought about the wreckers or Turners if they try their luck b/c they have a $50 enrolment fee and $250 for commission (a sum of $300).

They don't want to be home and liase with maybe widging buyers. They only know the basics of automobile, know how to jump start, change oil and filter. Shut up, test it out and buy it if you want, is their view :D

2) Dad has his car, so this other car they don't use it for long distance travelling. 1.3L vs 1.5L then :confused:

It is a Mazda 323 Familia auto 1.3L the only issue is that up the Ngauranga Gorge can be a bit hard unless you crank it up at the bottom.

3) Is the rego and insurance transferable to another car? For the insurance if need be they would pay a top up.

Cheers ...

PinoyKiw
30-06-2010, 04:51 PM
If you sell the car you may be able to claim back the difference of un-used rego. Unsure on this.

Depending on your insurance company, if you sell the car or otherwise dispose of the car, you should get credited / refunded for un-used portion of insurance.

I beleive that personal rego plates are transferrible between vehicles but standard plates may not be / probably are not.

TradeMe is a option but then people know where you live if 2 weeks later they find *fault* and want to get a refund or something.

We have just off loaded our station wagon, high mileage, low value to a needy family at Kindy.

pctek
30-06-2010, 05:15 PM
it's a 1992 model.

The water pump needs repairing but given the value of the vehicle it was not worth it.

So ..
1) They don't want to deal with a private sale (or Trademe)

They don't want to be home and liase with maybe widging buyers.

3) Is the rego and insurance transferable to another car?

3)No, it isn't. The insurance, you ring them and cancel it on that one and add the new car. They adjust your premium.
1) Pathetic. Maybe they could just give it to you then and you sell it on Trademe.

A waterpump is nothing anyway. And 1992, hell I just bought one thats 1992. Gave the 1989 one to my son - also which has bugger all wrong with it.

Some people have more money than.

prefect
30-06-2010, 05:32 PM
After market water pump from REPCO cheap as, even a tard could change a water pump on a 323.

somebody
30-06-2010, 06:04 PM
If you want to dump it, just take it to a wreckers. It won't cost you anything, and in some cases they'll pay you (e.g. http://pickapart.co.nz/car_dump.asp).

ryanjames.powell
30-06-2010, 07:14 PM
And if you do dump it, the balance of the registration is refundable if you are taking a car off the road.

Nomad
30-06-2010, 11:03 PM
There is also rust in the boot hinge behind the rear seat belt chassis. We spent over a grand on panelbeating cos the guy give us a incorrect quote, could of been two grands worth, car was a week away. The whole rear windscreen had to be taken out, which was the 2nd panelbeating job done at the same spot.....

Inside the boot and the rear passengers seat also gets wet after a heavy rain. So when you get a sunshine day you get the gym "sweat" smell in the car.

Nomad
30-06-2010, 11:07 PM
TradeMe is a option but then people know where you live if 2 weeks later they find *fault* and want to get a refund or something.

Exactly. We don't wanna be bothered when buyers agree to pay and then come back afterwards unhappy when work has to be done on it. But seriously you can take quite a new car to VTNZ for WOF - it v well could fail. Depends where you take any good car to even. But then again this car you need to know where to take it in to get a pass. Water pump ok .. but it is the chassis rust.

Mechanic said it might be worth $500, hence they are unsure if selling thru Turners given the high cost or just to the wreckers. Assuming one gets $100-150 ...

prefect
30-06-2010, 11:34 PM
There is also rust in the boot hinge behind the rear seat belt chassis. We spent over a grand on panelbeating cos the guy give us a incorrect quote, could of been two grands worth, car was a week away. The whole rear windscreen had to be taken out, which was the 2nd panelbeating job done at the same spot.....

Inside the boot and the rear passengers seat also gets wet after a heavy rain. So when you get a sunshine day you get the gym "sweat" smell in the car.

Dump the car man once the rust starts its never ending, its an auckland thing.

pctek
01-07-2010, 07:51 AM
Exactly. We don't wanna be bothered when buyers agree to pay and then come back afterwards unhappy when work has to be done on it.

Buyers won't if you list it detailing it's faults and sell it accordingly.

It's only when you try to hide things they complain.

Nomad
01-07-2010, 07:52 AM
there is also a leak in brake fluid :rolleyes:

Nomad
01-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Buyers won't if you list it detailing it's faults and sell it accordingly.

It's only when you try to hide things they complain.

given the issues with it then, mind as well take it to the wreckers :D
the thing is if you took it to an average mechanic (not VTNZ), it "should" fail the wof unless substantial work is done outstripping the cost of the vehicle.

mikebartnz
01-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Dump the car man once the rust starts its never ending, its an auckland thing.
and it will eventually stop holding hands.:)

coldfront
01-07-2010, 04:14 PM
If your scrapping your old car then couple of things

Cancel the insurance - You will get a refund of the unused portion or you can transfer it to another car and pay or be refunded any differance. Assuming you have a full No Claims then just cancelling it would be the way to go and getting a refund....BUT CHECK WITH THE INSURANCE COMPANY...Do Not take a 3rd party especially on heres advice.

Rego aka Road Licence - If you cancel the registration ie scrap the car then you will be able to claim a refund on the unused portion. I know I have done that on a diesel got my RUCs back as well.

What ever you do do not just hand over the vehicle to a scrappers without changing ownership if you do not cancel! It is quite possible those plates could end up on another vehicle and you could get stung for Speed camera etc fines. Proving you have permantly scrapped a vehicle is a nightmare unless you fill that paper work out.

Alex B
01-07-2010, 04:39 PM
I'd personally list it as a parts only car, list the faults and stick it on trademe with a $1 res AIWI. Might as well make a few bucks out of it.

Nomad
02-07-2010, 09:19 AM
1.3L or 1.5L :confused:
Just city driving, Wellington CBD and up the Ngauranga Gorge, 10-15km north of the CBD.

We're having a look at the weekend at Turners.
PS. To be used maybe 2 or 3x per week, which is just inter suburb driving, going thru the Gorge maybe 1x a week perhaps or less.

Sweep
02-07-2010, 12:08 PM
1.3 L Toyota Starlets are fairly reliable.

Nomad
02-07-2010, 12:22 PM
that's a bit old isn't it. well mum just want a 2000 model that's economical 4dr, low maintenance for the supermarket :D

Paul.Cov
03-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Rather than dump your rusty car, why not do what they do all around the north, and park it on the lawn out in front of the house. Add a few more rusty cars and let the grass grow really tall around them.

We farm the things you know... gather them in herds and let them graze indefinitely.

matty231
03-07-2010, 11:35 PM
You could always chuck it on my website, FreeCarTrader.co.nz. Least you don't have to pay anything, and then I can have an extra car on there :D

coldfront
04-07-2010, 10:35 AM
or another idea for scrapping

Give it to the local Fireys to practice on! You never know that car may help save someones life.

Nomad
07-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Folks, would you think a $400-500 quoted job to fix a leaking brake and (probably) replace the waterpump sound about right?

Regarding the waterpump, if you use the heater, the aircon does not go cold anymore. If you use the heater then you park the car, water leaks like a tilted shower head. I have noticed that in the morning, the fluid is full under the radiator cap but the reservoir is empty. I have only driven the vehicle to the supermarket and to neighbouring suburbs. Those who have driven the car down the Ngaranga Gorge to the CBD had to pull over at Newtown because the temperature was too high. They had a mechanic in Newtown.

We took it to a mechanic where we live and the guy fixed the indicators for free - a 10min job, think it was the circuit breaker.

Given the condition of the car, the above and the rust. Our mechanic said our car might be worth $500 would you repair it?

They are pretty certain getting another vehicle but if we spent that $500 would it be worthwhile? One could use it more and less on the new one.

We went to Turners, Peugeot 207/307 and the Mazda Demio was a bit small. A caryard suggested a Nissin Micra which mum laughed :rolleyes: Not sure on VW Polo, the Golf was alright but my understanding is that they are around 2L so it might be a bit much for a supermarket car, never had been used for trips around the country. A Mazda 3 might be ok too. Hatchback that is.

Nomad
09-07-2010, 07:45 PM
they might just have an extra car, they don't want to sell it if they can get a few hundred, the engine is fine, thou a bit of water leak.

indicators fixed for free due to a fuse.
waterpump i intend to fix myself as a small challenge maybe in spring when it warms up, will prob be a half day job, lol, the frecking thing is that you needa take the belt off to access it.

will look at what they cost at the shop tomm after we visit a auction, they quite like VW hatch, a mid 2000 model in FSI :cool:

not sure on the brakes thou, but i have never noticed it, the reservoir is always full. if we don't use the heater the water to my knowledge does not leak and i have never skyrocketed the temp gauge personally incl driving down the ngranga gorge to the CBD and back up again.

we had it in 1995, it's 1992, dunno what the odometer reading was but now it sits at 160,000.

The Error Guy
09-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Heh heh, Going up the old Gorge in our beast '62 Dodge. Now THAT is interesting. I reckon that things done more miles than anything this side of the rimutakas. could be wrong, especially as its got no odometer.

Nomad
09-07-2010, 08:04 PM
my dad's old hillman or was it the triumph, the petrol gauge was not working :lol: he never had a issue thou.
the steering wheel shakes when you are on the motorway.

these days cars are so affordable. we only upgraded to a used ford telstar in 1995.

i like using old stuff, some stuff just last and last. i even toyed with the idea of using that car in question to ruapehu for skiing, just that the rear seats cannot be pushed down so I cannot fit the skis. 1.3L baby. It rocks.

hueybot3000
09-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Folks, would you think a $400-500 quoted job to fix a leaking brake and (probably) replace the waterpump sound about right?

Seems a bit high, unless the leaking brake is the master cylinder then they may be including the cost of repairing/replacing that.

If you can get it to chch id give you $200 for it. Got a derby coming up

Nomad
20-07-2010, 02:43 PM
It's sold. :D

Wrecker A) said $200.
Wrecker B) said $150.
Customer A) said $500 if you fix it all up and the car all certified.
Customer B) said $400.

As they were coming out of one of the wreckers a mechanic student ran over and bought it for $600 :thumbs:

somebody
20-07-2010, 06:29 PM
It's sold. :D

Wrecker A) said $200.
Wrecker B) said $150.
Customer A) said $500 if you fix it all up and the car all certified.
Customer B) said $400.

As they were coming out of one of the wreckers a mechanic student ran over and bought it for $600 :thumbs:

Great to hear!

angry
20-07-2010, 11:24 PM
for general info, turners had, and may still have, a deal if you give them any old registered driving card to sell through their damaged vehicle auction, no reserve, they will/would dereg it and sell it for free.