PDA

View Full Version : Leaky car seals

Barnabas
30-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Ive got a 99 Toyota Celica that is letting in a bit of water. Specifically the passenger seatbelt will be wet after a good downpour. Im guessing the seals have perished around the window somewhere but Im not to sure where to go to get them replaced. Do automotive glass places replace seals or is it a job for my mechanic? Any ideas? I know I could just ring them but thought ppl here might have an idea.

Thanks.

Trev
30-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Try a panelbeater.
:)

Nomad
30-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Yeah they do replace the seals for windows. If you need panelbeating think about if you wanna go thru with it. A repair job may not be the end of your probs. You may have other areas needing work too, with leaks you may get areas that get rusted. There is also a possibility that after the work if it is around closing areas or door, boots etc .. you may find that they don't align up exactly right......

Your mechanic normally refer you elsewhere ...

prefect
30-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Probaly not worth fixing drive the japper to Pick a part park and run.

pctek
30-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Do automotive glass places replace seals .

They sure do. Not expensive either. Had that done on an old classic I had once.

Alex B
01-07-2010, 12:45 AM
Have a look at the seal around the hatch.

Nomad
01-07-2010, 09:24 AM
if you have strips on top of the roof like where the roof rack rails are suppose to be or the rails themselves if you have them attached.

Barnabas
01-07-2010, 03:33 PM
thanks for the replys guys. Ill try a glass place then. Hopefully no rust as its usually garaged so seldom gets wet outside.

Cheers

hueybot3000
01-07-2010, 06:21 PM
First thing to look for is the rubber sitting out of place, they can pop out/off. I don't know what rubbers are worth but I know that pricing up a new rubber for my drivers door was $320 (commodore) which I could not justify so went second hand.

If the seat belt is wet id say its more likely the passengers door is leaking, and its pretty uncommon to get rust on the top of doors because water seldom gets a chance to sit there

kahawai chaser
01-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Does the window rattle when closing the door? Test with window down at different heights. My rear window was rattling (when wound beyond half way down) due to a partial perished door seal, from the window chewing some of the seal in the runner channel. Fortunately only cost about $6 dollars to buy from pick a part (http://www.pickapart.co.nz/pricelist.asp?alpha=W) (price list) but bit of a pain to install it myself.

george12
02-07-2010, 03:32 PM
I have a question too (sorry to thread-jack).

I have a 1997 Honda Accord and I notice that most of the seals are loose and/or not doing their job (due to a gap) around the rear and front windscreens.

In addition, the seals on the windows have been 'pinched' by the windows in certain areas.

Finally, I have a large chip in the paintwork of my roof which is bubbling out, near the top of my front windscreen.

What is the best course of action to get these problems resolved, and are the seals worth worrying about? There are no leaks into the car, though I suspect the window ones may be causing a little wind noise.

No windows are loose.