PDA

View Full Version : Some people are incredibly stupid.

Roscoe
29-06-2010, 04:09 PM
You need to know when to quit and not dig yourself a deeper hole than you have already.

A fellow, of the indigenous kind, returned to his car to find the local parking warden placing a ticket on his vehicle for parking on a handicap park.

The owner protested. While explaining the consequences ($200) the warden noticed that the warrant was not current. ($200.)

More protestations. The warden was now looking much closer and realised that the registration was also not valid. ($200.)

The fellow’s partner arrived on the scene and started berating the warden. His response? “May I see your licence, please?” ( $200.)

The fellow’s partner was extremely vocal which attracted a small crowd, but the damage was done. No amount of shouting would change anything.

The issuing of multiple tickets would, most probably, be ineffectual. Those type of people do not pay their fines, even if they had the money.

The things that you see when you don’t have your video camera! Would have been a U Tube hit.:groan:

pctek
29-06-2010, 04:18 PM
The owner protested. While explaining the consequences ($200) the warden noticed that the warrant was not current. ($200.)

More protestations. The warden was now looking much closer and realised that the registration was also not valid. ($200.)

The fellow’s partner arrived on the scene and started berating the warden. His response? “May I see your licence, please?” ( $200.)

No license is $400. Partner wouldn't come into it, they weren't driving it.

prefect
29-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Can a parking warden check your drivers licence?
Didnt know that

Metla
29-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Didnt know that

Fantasy stories don't have a habit of being factual.

Roscoe
29-06-2010, 04:39 PM
No license is $400. Partner wouldn't come into it, they weren't driving it.

Even more expensive.

I did not mean that he asked the partner for her licence. I think he was that annoyed by this time that he asked to see his licence.

She was just yelling and generally making the situation worse!

Roscoe
29-06-2010, 04:40 PM

Parking wardens, it seems, can give you a ticket for most infringements.

Gobe1
29-06-2010, 04:44 PM
The worst thing is people who would pay their fines would not get away with not paying them. How does someone get away with not paying their fines?

tweak'e
29-06-2010, 04:53 PM
The worst thing is people who would pay their fines would not get away with not paying them. How does someone get away with not paying their fines?

blood from a stone.

usually don't own anything, already have massive debt which they have no hope of ever paying off. therefore it doesn't matter to them how many fines they get as the fines will get written off due to no ability to pay.

i would suggest time in jail instead but judges are to soft for that and imprisonment usually just makes people better criminals.

pctek
29-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Didnt know that

Yes.

Roscoe
29-06-2010, 04:59 PM

As Tweak says, "Blood from a stone."

Most people are too honest and pay their fines. These type of people could not care less.

Cato
29-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Yes.

Like hell would I ever show my license to a parking warden. I am going to call the CAB to clarify that right now.

Edit: Turns out you can't call the CAB from a cellphone nor Skype. Bugger. Someone with a landline wanna try them too?

So I called up my city council, they said the warden has the right to ask for your name and address but not your driver's license.

rebels181
29-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Parking wardens, it seems, can give you a ticket for most infringements.

I expect the wardens will want the power to arrest next.

hueybot3000
29-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Can parking wardens take a really good smack to the face? cos I wouldnt show a warden my license, id probaly go on a speal about how if they tried a little harder at school they might be the Police Officier they think they are

PaulD
29-06-2010, 06:40 PM

+1

If it was true the warden should have to explain why he missed the other very obvious things in the first place.

PaulD
29-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Like hell would I ever show my license to a parking warden. I am going to call the CAB to clarify that right now.

Edit: Turns out you can't call the CAB from a cellphone nor Skype. Bugger. Someone with a landline wanna try them too?

So I called up my city council, they said the warden has the right to ask for your name and address but not your driver's license.

This is what they can do

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1962/0135/latest/DLM343571.html#DLM343571

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1962/0135/latest/DLM345184.html#DLM345184

prefect
29-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Nothing in the links about them being able to force you to show your drivers licence.
I would show my licence to a parking warden when I see Elvis alive.

KarameaDave
29-06-2010, 11:55 PM
I'd ROTFLMFAO if a traffic wally tried that on me.
Who do they think they are? Roger Ramjet?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Ramjet

Peterj116
30-06-2010, 09:22 AM
blood from a stone.

usually don't own anything, already have massive debt which they have no hope of ever paying off. therefore it doesn't matter to them how many fines they get as the fines will get written off due to no ability to pay.

But I bet they have Sky, and probably smoke like a train....
Usually the way.

mikebartnz
30-06-2010, 12:28 PM
i would suggest time in jail instead but judges are to soft for that and imprisonment usually just makes people better criminals.
Those people that rack up a large number of fines should have there car taken from them well before it gets to the thousands.
Anyone that parks in an invalid zone that isn't should be made one.:D

Bozo
30-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Meh, I have no time whatsoever for parking wardens - most of them are power hungry morons attempting to convince themselves they play an important powerful role in society.

Just recently a flatmates car was towed from outside our house - as it was blocking entrance to a driveway. Though by blocking it had exceeded the 1 foot (I think thats the distance) distance from the little dip in the curb where it goes down to the driveway and was more-or-less smack on parallel with the little dip. (not the required 1 foot or w/e the distance required away from it is)

Now the funny part is it was our own driveway he was 'blocking' so naturally protested. Long story short - after appeals and all that bollox, because the warden had 'seen fit' to issue the ticket - bye bye, pay a stupid fine.

Scum. Hang them all.

PaulD
30-06-2010, 01:15 PM
The distance is 1m.
"For the purposes of this clause, a vehicle parked alongside any part of a kerb crossing provided for a driveway or within 1 m of the prolongation of the side of a driveway must be regarded as obstructing entry or exit."
http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2004/0427/latest/DLM303605.html#DLM303605

I may be wrong but I have an idea that in the past "obstructing" meant that there had to be a vehicle actually prevented from using the drive. Usually if you have a drive they want you up it rather than parked in front.

Bozo
30-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Can't park up our driveway as the garage door leads directly onto the footpath.

More to the point though - was that even when he protested that it was only his own driveway he was 'obstructing' they wouldn't listen.

Bastards.

Billy T
30-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Now the funny part is it was our own driveway he was 'blocking' so naturally protested. Long story short - after appeals and all that bollox, because the warden had 'seen fit' to issue the ticket - bye bye, pay a stupid fine.

Laugh up large..........It is not your driveway, it is council/local body property, even though you may have had to pay to put it in. Treat the warden right and your appeal may succeed, abuse them and when they are asked by their bosses if there were any extenuating circumstances they'll simply reply no, the guy was an assho1e, let the ticket stand.

I got pinged for an expired reg while outside the local PO. After a few polite words with the warden she waited while I went back in and paid for a new sticker then she cancelled the uncompleted infringement notice. Add that to the local council rescinding a $200 infringement notice for parking an unregistered car outside my home (not movable due to attempted theft) and the virtues of being very very polite to people in a position to take money off you should be slowly becoming apparent here. Come to think of it, I had a parking fine for being 2 minutes over while at a funeral cancelled as well.

I've talked my way out of more problems than I can count, including a speeding ticket a couple of months back when I passed an unmarked police car at just under 70K's in a 50 zone.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

mikebartnz
30-06-2010, 01:58 PM
I've talked my way out of more problems than I can count, including a speeding ticket a couple of months back when I passed an unmarked police car at just under 70K's in a 50 zone.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
Yes by being polite you get way better treatment than an aggressive reaction although with some plonkers it is very hard and sometimes those plonkers are the aggressive ones to start with.

PaulD
30-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Come to think of it, I had a parking fine for being 2 minutes over while at a funeral cancelled as well.

Even in Wellington they give you 6 minutes before issuing parking tickets.

As for the speeding issue you must have had a silver tongue. 11k over is supposed to result in a ticket except in "exceptional circumstances".

Cases like that as well as people being pinged for 2 or 3k make a mockery of "A consistent approach enables Police to recognise reasonable variations in speedometer accuracy across the public national vehicle fleet, while providing motorists with certainty of outcome should they drive at inappropriate or excessive speeds."

pctek
30-06-2010, 06:18 PM
The distance is 1m.
"For the purposes of this clause,

I may be wrong but I have an idea that in the past "obstructing" meant that there had to be a vehicle actually prevented from using the drive. .

Ah but it's legal speak, see For the purposes of this clause.....blah blah. In other words, you're fined.

inphinity
01-07-2010, 08:58 AM
Don't break the rules and you won't get fined? Yeah sometimes you get smug pricks working as parking wardens, cops, etc who want to abuse their privileges and it sucks. I've been hit by that before and it is annoying. But when you have actually broken the rules, don't be a dick about it, you'll only make things worse. As Billy said, be polite and discuss it rationally, don't throw a tantrum, and you're far more likely to get a rational response.