PDA

View Full Version : Computer wont detect hard drive

30-08-2001, 02:39 PM
Hi
I have a problem with my old P133(47 MB RAM, 2 Hard drives total 6 GB) For some reason it just wont start up properly. I have tried everything I can think of. When I use the boot disk I get a message that reads
'Windows 98 has detected that drive C does not contain a valid FAT or FAT32 partition, there are several possible causes.
1) The drive may need to be partitioned.....
2)You maybe using 3rd party disk partitioning ....
3)Some viruses can cause your hard drive to....'

The only one of those that can apply is 1). (It cant have a virus as it hasnt had any software loaded and hasnt been online, and I havent partioned the hard drive with any software)
I have tried to run a format from the A:\> prompt but I get a 'Format not supported on C drive. Format terminated'

Can anyone help me??
Thanking you in advance

30-08-2001, 03:55 PM
Hi Megan,More info needed.
have you had windows running on these hard drives at all?If you just installed a 2nd hand drive & its had linux on it Or its protected by a program like goback Or similar you will get message like you describe You can use the fdisk command from your boot disk & view drive information. Choose 'Display partition information' On drive 1 (c:)Under type It should be PRI DOS On drive 2(D:)it should be 'EXT DOS'
cheers steve

30-08-2001, 05:13 PM
Thanks for your reply.
I have just contacted the previous owner to check out some details . I was under the impression that there were 2 hard drives but it turns out that it is one partitioned. They have no idea what software was used to partition the drive as they had a friend (who has since left NZ do it for them).
It had Win98 running on it for 2 years before I got it. It was working fine when I had it. I did a complete format of both partitions (I thought they were drives at the time) and installed Win89 . It was running fine . I sold it to some friends a month ago and it was working fine up until 2 days ago when it just wouldnt boot. They are new to computing and have no idea how it happened (my guess is one of their kids did something and there was a Playstation disk near by if that makes any difference???)
I get through to 'select start up' and I have 3 choices, start with cd rom support, start without cd rom support, view help file.
I have viewed the help file and have tried a number of things listed there. None of them has worked.
As I said in my previous post I get a message that reads 'Windows 98 has detected that drive C dose not contain a valid FAT or FAT32 partition. There are several possible causes. 1) the drive may need to be partitioned.... 2)You may be using 3rd party disk partitioning software (I have no way of knowing this)
3)A Virus (not possible as it has not had any new software loaded and is not online yet)
After this i get 'The dignostic tools were succesfully loaded to drive c. Device driver not found 'MSCD001' No valid CD ROM device drivers selected. To get help type help and press enter (have tried!!)
I have entered 'FDISK' from the A:\> prompt but I get 'No fixed disks present'
I hope you can understand what i am saying and can help me. Thanking you in advance.
Regards, Megan

31-08-2001, 08:24 AM
Hi megan, To get into the bios SETUP you will need to push the DEL key or CTRL+ALT+ESC keys or F1 key.
when you boot your computer you should see a message on your screen that says if you want to enter setup press DEL or one of the other key combinations mentioned above.
Hopefully once inside the bios you should see a menu & amongst the options there should be one called 'IDE HDD AUTO DETECTION',Use the arrow kwys to get across to it & press enter.
The bios should now auto detect your HDD,If once your HDD is detected it gives you 3 options ,choose the one with the letter 'Y' besde it & press enter, You will need to press enter a few more times as the bios looks for slave & secondary hdd's.Then you will need to choose save & exit.
As not all bios's look the same, some of the options I have mentioned above may look a bit different than I have mentioned.
Good Luck Steve

31-08-2001, 11:49 AM
Hi there
Thank you for all your help .
When I get into the 'set up' screen I get 5 small windows to choose from. I go to the 'Utility' window and double click on 'IDE set up' For a split second (only just long enough to read it) a small window appears that reads 'Auto detection in progress' then it is replaced by a window that has 'Automatically set up IDEs'
Under that it has a list:
Primary 1 not detected
Primary 2 not detected
secondary 1 not detected
secondary 2 not detected
Then 'Accept Parameters?' yes/no.

Am I in the right place??
My email address is m.hemmings@paradise.net.nz.