PDA

View Full Version : Strange desktop icons

KiwiPrius
27-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Hello all

In the last couple of days, some of the desktop icons have a strange overlay on them. Like the default icon that Windows uses when its not sure what kind of file something is.
I know there has been other threads here re this but can't find them.

How do I fix this?

KP

PS some may recall a problem I had with sending emails from Tbird on Slingshot: I rang Slingshot back, and the tech said to check that the outgoing server in Tbird was the same as the internet connection for my location, ie the folks here use Xtra for their BB so I had to change the outgoing server to xtra and it all worked as it should.
Who knew!?

Jen
27-06-2010, 10:24 PM
It is a certain type of icon that shows this problem, for example all shortcut only icons?

Can you take a screen shot? When you reply to a post, below the text box under additional options is a "manage attachments" button, use that to upload your image (jpg) into your post.

pctek
28-06-2010, 09:10 AM
tech said to check that the outgoing server in Tbird was the same as the internet connection for my location, ie the folks here use Xtra for their BB so I had to change the outgoing server to xtra and it all worked as it should.
Who knew!?

We did. Xtra doesn't allow relaying.

bevy121
28-06-2010, 04:05 PM
need a better description of what you are seeing really, what kind "overlay" ?

Check this to start with anyway...

- right click an empty space on your desktop
- select "Arrange icons By"
- make sure "Lock web items" is not ticked... if it is, click on it to uncheck it

KiwiPrius
14-07-2010, 07:01 PM
I have taken a screen shot but am prevented from uploading it!
Perhaps the size? 2MB

KP

KiwiPrius
14-07-2010, 07:04 PM
Changed to jpeg and hopefully appears here now....

bevy121
14-07-2010, 07:07 PM
save the screenshot image as a jpeg (jpg)

will only be a couple hundred KB at the most

did you check if "lock web items" was not ticked?

*EDIT*
you just changed it as I was (s l o w l y!) typing LOL

I dont see what the strange overlay is tho??

Roger Hunt
14-07-2010, 07:30 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/185217
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/117229-icon-cache-rebuild.html
Try this second one to rebuild

KiwiPrius
16-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Sorry for the poor image. I'm not sure how to select just a part of the desktop and show a bigger image.

In any case, the problem is that the shortcut arrow is missing. I've enlarged all the icons on the desktop so hopefully it will show up better.

I went to the M$ site and searched for shortcut arrow problems in W7 but no luck.

Speedy Gonzales
16-07-2010, 10:28 AM
This sound like your prob ? (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistadesktopui/thread/bd5df4a0-439a-4f68-8f84-cb8744127357). It sounds like someone copied some profiles from one folder to another ?

KiwiPrius
16-07-2010, 10:41 AM
No Speedy not really.
I don't have duplicates - its just that the shortcut arrow is missing and replaced by a rectangle with coloured dots in it.

No profiles have been copied.
KP

Speedy Gonzales
16-07-2010, 10:49 AM
I know Win7 screws icons up once in a while. It used to show blank/empty icons for programs (that are still installed) on the taskbar here.

Before some update got installed (which fixed it), I had to go to %userprofile%\AppData\Local and delete iconcache.db, (you have to show all files), then either kill explorer.exe in task manager, then rerun it from task manager. Or reboot to fix it.

The Error Guy
16-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Hmm, it seems windows has "lost" or cannot find the shortcut arrow. try this: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3606-shortcut-arrow-change-remove-restore.html

to remove the shortcut arrows and see if the problem goes. if this does make the icons disappear that the SC arrows are the problem. if not well, ill think again

KiwiPrius
16-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Hi Speedy
Did as you said and its all back now.
Thanks pal
KP

Speedy Gonzales
16-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Sweet