PDA

View Full Version : Niggly Network

30-08-2001, 02:30 PM
I have two machines (AMDk6 2 500-winme and a Dell Optiplex GX110 PIII 667-98se) and have set up a home network which appears to work fine. The problem I have is that one or both of the machines (which one I'm not sure) appear to connect to the internet under no particular circumstance with no apparent cause. I have the AMD machine set up for internet connection sharing. How can I correct this. I need this feature. Please don't tell me to turn it off.

Please Help,
Duncan Jameson

......Thanx in advance

30-08-2001, 02:53 PM
i found windows ics to be a complete pain in the.......

sounds like you've got something wanting to connect to the net on either machine. unfortnatlly you can't stop ics from trying to access the net. nothing worse than the cleint trying to dail out stuffing up what u r doing on the server.

first thing look for spyware, run adaware and clean any spyware out. then look at the apps that u have at start up. if any can/do access the net then disable them.

i would suggest having a look at a decent internet sharing tool. after having problems with sygate i've now swicthed to wingate which is great. nothing to configue:-)
there is a free lite version which should do the same as windows ics but u should have more controll over it.

30-08-2001, 03:09 PM
Hi

I use ProxyPlus, free for up to 3 computers. Works a treat.

http://www.proxyplus.net

31-08-2001, 12:24 AM
No problem with what has been said before but it could be worth checking to see if one machine is set to active desktop.