PDA

View Full Version : Mechanic has damaged my car engine.

bellbird
25-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Is there an agency or mediator that I can contact regarding work done on my car motor. thanks

Zippity
25-06-2010, 04:01 PM
How about the garage's manager? Have you spoken to them?

Did you take your car to a registered garage or leave it in the hands of a cowboy?

Cato
25-06-2010, 04:03 PM
MTA?
http://www.mta.org.nz/mediationassistance

What exactly happened?

bellbird
25-06-2010, 04:44 PM
It wasn't an insurance job but I asked my insurance company for name of reputable mechanic. I've just gone to the mta site and checked the name of the automotive repair garage and they aren't listed. I'll ring mta and have a talk with them. thanks

Sweep
25-06-2010, 04:51 PM
MTA are not going to help if the firm is not listed. If they advertise that they are then Consumer Affairs may help.

There is also Fair Go.

Alex B
25-06-2010, 05:11 PM
What exactly happened?

This

tweak'e
25-06-2010, 05:19 PM
It wasn't an insurance job but I asked my insurance company for name of reputable mechanic. ......

BIG mistake. insurance companies use who ever is cheapest. usually the worse mechanics you can find.

i hope you have some luck with it. odds are you will have to go through small claims court.

whats actually wrong with it? might be easier to fix it and call it quits.

prefect
25-06-2010, 05:37 PM
What happened to the engine? did he drain the oil and start the engine?

Jester
25-06-2010, 06:06 PM
BIG mistake. insurance companies use who ever is cheapest. usually the worse mechanics you can find.

Misinformation there Tweake...

Insurers do not use whoever is cheapest as they will normally end up paying twice (to put it right if a repair fails). They do however use contracted repairers that guarantee their workmanship at a fair price.

Anyway, mechanical breakdowns are not insured under normal policies, or by the run of the mill insurers. A dealer may offer a special extended warranty policy, but they are not normally underwritten by the likes of State, NZI, AA etc.

tweak'e
25-06-2010, 06:26 PM
Misinformation there Tweake...

Insurers do not use whoever is cheapest as they will normally end up paying twice (to put it right if a repair fails). They do however use contracted repairers that guarantee their workmanship at a fair price.

yeah right.....wheres the Tui ;)
they also auction the jobs off. cheapest wins.

sorry to be so negative but we had a really shocking bad job done that we are still picking up the pieces from 2 years later. by the look of the handy work they gave to the apprentice as a friday night job.
i know one of the mechanics who worked their and they admit insurance jobs are a standing joke and that its common in most workshops :(

SurferJoe46
26-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Ya wants me to come down there and break his knees fer youse guys?

tuiruru
26-06-2010, 03:36 PM
As in all these cases you have rights under the Consumers Guarantees Act. If you've got a local Citizen's Advice Bureau near you pop along and see them - they've got tons of literature 'cos it's one of the things they deal with most (along with enquiries/complaints about WINZ)

For a brief summary of your rights and possible courses of action see here:
http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/consumer-guarantees-act

For more detailed info see here:
http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1993/0091/latest/DLM311053.html

Whatever you do be prpared to be hard nosed and PERSISTANT. I've worked for the CAB and it's the people who don't get put off in the early stages that usually get a result finally.

Hope this helps and goodluck

hueybot3000
26-06-2010, 05:53 PM
This

What was there?

There's a mechanic across the road from work which I would suggest not takin your car too. Almost everyday they start up a cold car in the morning and rev the absolute balls off it. Not entirely sure why but doesnt seem right

wmoore
26-06-2010, 07:19 PM
It wasn't an insurance job but I asked my insurance company for name of reputable mechanic. I've just gone to the mta site and checked the name of the automotive repair garage and they aren't listed. I'll ring mta and have a talk with them. thanks

Bellbird, Please could we have some more details of what happened please.

Cicero
27-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Is there an agency or mediator that I can contact regarding work done on my car motor. thanks

There is an adjudicator out there,I found one once,but can't remember where.

prefect
27-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Pretty disappointing bellbird, why dont you tell us what the mechanic did wrong?
Reving a cold engine ***** it big time. With aircraft pistons engines mainly air cooled you cant take off until the oil temp is up to a certain temperature.

hueybot3000
27-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Reving a cold engine ***** it big time. With aircraft pistons engines mainly air cooled you cant take off until the oil temp is up to a certain temperature.

So this "car mechanic" could have himself confused as a "aircraft mechanic"? :banana

Honestly some days I feel like going over and telling his customers that any further problems he found are probaly due to *shows customer a video of him abusing the car*

PaulD
27-06-2010, 01:17 PM
What was there?

There's a mechanic across the road from work which I would suggest not takin your car too. Almost everyday they start up a cold car in the morning and rev the absolute balls off it. Not entirely sure why but doesnt seem right

How long does this go on? For cars with hydraulic valve adjustment sometimes the engine has to be rev'd at 2-3000rpm for a while to purge air from the lifter.

hueybot3000
27-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Could be as long as 5mins at a guess. And it's not a constant rev like if you had reset a cars ecu and were resetting idle etc. It's like you would rev a car before dragging off your mate at the lights.

forrest44
27-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Maybe they are trying to tune it for racing or something..?

Billy T
28-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Interesting thread that has lost all interest since bellbird can't be bothered to let us know what is supposedly wrong with the engine, or what the offending mechanic is alleged to have done.

Curious approach, it's a bit like taking your car to the garage and saying it's making a funny noise, please fix it, then complaining when they fix everything they can find but don't find out that it only makes the noise at warp speed in reverse when you have three bags of cement in the boot and there's a P in the month.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused:

Cicero
28-06-2010, 12:53 PM
I have never heard of anybody putting a bag on their roof,let alone three,that is just silly!

bellbird
28-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Sorry for slow posting, been going over options suggested here. 10 year old car, very low kms, running perfectly, slight leaking of oil seals. Persuaded into a costly full service that would usually be done at around 100,000kms. (All the belts etc). Car has not been right since - it has a noise/rattle? in the motor and doesn't run smoothly. Mechanic has rechecked it twice (or has he?) and each time pronounced it ok, but it's not. I think my option is to find a really good mechanic and have it pulled apart to find the cause of the problems and then see if I can get the original workshop to reimburse me for the labour costs. I suspect the timing is out but I have very limited mechanical knowledge. Problem is that I don't have the money to have it checked right now and the noise is a real concern.

tweak'e
28-06-2010, 05:24 PM
what brand/model car?
can you provide a bit better description of what the noise/rattle is like??

bellbird
28-06-2010, 05:40 PM
It's a 1500cc Toyota Levin. It's hard to describe the noise - I can hear it when motor is idling, and when accelerating and decelerating moderately and it is there underlying the normal engine sounds when travelling a higher speed. Most noticable is when driving around the floors of a parking building for some reason. The noise comes from the area of the motor where the work was done.

seltsam
28-06-2010, 05:44 PM
So he replaced the cam belt? Likely the valve timing's been screwed, from your description :(

tweak'e
28-06-2010, 06:30 PM
sounds like you need a mechanic to pull it apart and see whats been done.

it could be something as simple as wrong oil in gearbox etc or as bad as incorrect cam timing.

feersumendjinn
29-06-2010, 12:19 AM
Is the noise like this? (video is crap but audio is accurate).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HsRB7ML2Q4&feature=related
If that's it, your cam-belt is way too tightly adjusted, it does not need to be as tight as, say, an alternator belt, it only requires sufficient tension to stop vibration/flapping of the belt (the spring or hydraulic unit pulling/pushing on the belt tensioner roller will set the tension correctly, doesn't need to be forced), take it back and get them to reset it (by convention, you should give them the first opportunity to fix it to your satisfaction).
Though if they don't know enough to set the tension correctly, perhaps the cam timing is out too.:horrified
Alternatively, take it to a MTA certified workshop, and get them to sort it, shouldn't take long (a simple matter to set correctly), hopefully the belt's not so tight that it's damaged itself or anything else.
Tell the first garage you're going to do this, and tell the MTA workshop why, also (they could do you a report outlining what they found (before proceeding to fix it)), involve the MTA too (they are keen to weed out "cowboys").

Alex B
29-06-2010, 11:30 AM
If the timing was out even a tooth it would have zero power (not that a 5a-fe has much to start with) - plus being non interferance, it wouldn't make a nosie as such, just run extreamly rough.

Possibly loose engine mount, vac leak, over tightened belt, ticking injectors(normal) who knows...

bellbird
29-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Thanks to everyone for your input. I'll definitely be going to an MTA workshop soon as I can afford it and will check out the youtube clip in a few days when I'm back on broadband speed. (I'm always going over my 5GB cap).

Cicero
29-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Ring MTA and ask for name of local adjudicator,he will put you right.

pctek
30-06-2010, 08:46 AM
I found a great mechanic. Was recommended. If you looked at his workshop you wouldn't think so (although apparently he has 2, one elsewhere). Lovely asian man, super polite, shows you everything and goes into proper explanations.
And cheap.
I took his card for a friend and he bowed and thanked me. Wow.