PDA

View Full Version : Philips DVDR 3360H 160GB Free up hdd?

micky
25-06-2010, 11:06 AM
I Have a Philips DVDR 3360H 160GB recorder with about 2 hours left to record. Is there anyway to remove the hard drive connect it to a PC and transfer the files to a removable disc, so as I could free up some space on my Philips 160GB drive and what format would they be in. I have tried recording to DVD disc's with 2 failed disc's out of 5 as this player is very prone to freezing. Before you all start slating the player it has served my needs well. I only use it for copying footage from my camcorder which works well.

Gobe1
25-06-2010, 12:58 PM
I believe they have their own (ie phillips) "file systems" not ntfs or fat32.
I could be wrong, but i looked up installing a larger one on my Panasonic but forums i went to mentioned panasonics run a different file system, i cant see why phillips would be any different
good luck

EDIT: but my panasonic has a network port does yours?

ubergeek85
25-06-2010, 01:12 PM
From experience, albeit with a Panasonic DMR-E85H, I can tell you that there is no way to extract the data from the hard drive, unless you reverse-engineer the format of the drive.

From what I've heard, though, some units have no problem with you bunging in a new, higher-capacity drive. Others, though, forcibly limit the usable capacity to that of the original unit.

In your case, I'd just get some DVD-RW's and wait it out.

kahawai chaser
25-06-2010, 01:19 PM
I thought you could directly connect dvd recorders to PC's to capture the film output; Much like video recorders to PC for film capture.

ubergeek85
25-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Well, you could always get a capture card/dongle, but then you have to record at 1-1 speed...

kahawai chaser
25-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Though I recall a web site where members did firmware hacks for standard dvd recorders. They burned the code on blank CD's then play them in the dvd - which reconfigured/added features to the dvd player. They even made their own dvd recorder.

Perhaps the same (i.e. reverse engineer as noted above?) could be done with dvd recorders to reconfigure/enhance the drive's properties to allow usb data transfer to a pc.