PDA

View Full Version : Very Fast Need Of Oppinions

Luppi
25-06-2010, 08:29 AM
Obvious question for most, but am undecided.

I got a brand new PC. I want Windows 7. Here are the specs:

Serioux Action Intel® Pentium Dual Core E6500 2.93GHz
4 GB DDR2 KingMax RAM 800 MhZ.
500 GB Western Digital HDD.
ATI Radeon 4650 1GB Video.
Gigabyte Intel G31(ICH7) Express Motherboard.

x86 or x64 for this?

I want no video-editing, photo-editing or other monster programs. I just want the newest games to run smooth, the windows to run smooth and most software like TuneUp 2011, Ccleaner, Microsoft Office 2010, most drivers to work.

Which one please?

Nomad
25-06-2010, 08:54 AM
i think games should run with no probs.

i have had no real issues re: x64 and that would be the way of the future and that you have 4gb.

i just found my laser mf printer is not supported by win7 at all but Canon provides just a 32bit, but my 1.5yr old mobo, video, my photo printer and scanner etc are all fine ....

ccleaner i asusme, sync back def will. office 2007 works. not yet upgraded to 2010 cos i am doing a course on office 2007. that's fine. ati drivers for mine is fine. you just have to redownload the drivers specific for win7.

pctek
25-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Serioux Action Intel® Pentium Dual Core E6500 2.93GHz

ATI Radeon 4650 1GB Video.

x86 or x64 for this?

I want no video-editing, photo-editing or other monster programs. I just want the newest games to run smooth,

Monster programs. The most monstrous are games. Personally if you want the latest games then it's a bit under specced.

I'd use 64bit because otherwise you're wasting the RAM.

Luppi
25-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Got you. I want to run games like GTA 4, and i have been told i should be able to run it at full throtle no problem with this one.

If you all say so i'll go with 64 then :D.

SolMiester
25-06-2010, 09:29 AM
LOL, I'm on the other foot here.....you want the most compatibility, as you arent stretching the PC with games etc, therefore I would go x86....

My work PC is QC w\ 4Gb RAM, however I only run x86, as I want network scanners and printers etc to all work....

OOps, I missed the newest games to run smoothly bit...doh!...okay, get a better GPU and go x64!

Nomad
25-06-2010, 10:29 AM
i would agree that x86 is totally fine. maybe the next version of windows x64 would take off (with hardware)...

2 or 3GB for most out there should be sweet ....
maybe a want than a need.

Sum1
06-07-2010, 02:39 PM
lolwut that thing would get like 1 fps on GTA4 with max settings

Deimos
06-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Got you. I want to run games like GTA 4, and i have been told i should be able to run it at full throtle no problem with this one.

If you all say so i'll go with 64 then :D.

No way you can run GTA at full, GTA performance is arse, still fun though

LOL, I'm on the other foot here.....you want the most compatibility, as you arent stretching the PC with games etc, therefore I would go x86....

My work PC is QC w\ 4Gb RAM, however I only run x86, as I want network scanners and printers etc to all work....

OOps, I missed the newest games to run smoothly bit...doh!...okay, get a better GPU and go x64!

I've been running 64bit since it was RTM, and Vista 64 before that, I don't see anything in the ops specs that suggest he will have any compatability problems at all (hardware wise) and I have yet to run in to any desktop apps that won't run on 7 x64

lolwut that thing would get like 1 fps on GTA4 with max settings

Not that bad but yeah...

pctek
06-07-2010, 03:16 PM
4 GB DDR2 KingMax RAM 800 MhZ.

I just want the newest games to run smooth, the windows to run smooth

32bit is yesterday. Eventually the rest of the world will catch up with those of us who have moved on and gone 64bit. So there's no question really.

Especially if you want 4GB+ of ram.
64bit

SolMiester
06-07-2010, 04:25 PM
I've been running 64bit since it was RTM, and Vista 64 before that, I don't see anything in the ops specs that suggest he will have any compatability problems at all (hardware wise) and I have yet to run in to any desktop apps that won't run on 7 x64

Yeah, I agree, except when it comes to printer drivers, which is why most business have to have a x86 server,so it can deliver print services..however most gamers worth their salt now run x64, especially those with multi GPU's..

Deimos
06-07-2010, 04:34 PM
Yeah, I agree, except when it comes to printer drivers, which is why most business have to have a x86 server,so it can deliver print services..however most gamers worth their salt now run x64, especially those with multi GPU's..

True but any company worth thier mustard will have a universal print driver (I know HP and Konica-Minolta both have one), I'm using one on my server (Server 2008 R2 64bit only) for an old HP laserjet

_galaxy
06-07-2010, 04:56 PM
The benefits of using a 64-bit operating system are most apparent when you have a large amount of random access memory (RAM) installed on your computer (typically 4 GB of RAM or more). In such cases, because a 64-bit operating system can handle large amounts of memory more efficiently than a 32-bit operating system, a 64-bit operating system can be more responsive when running several programs at the same time and switching between them frequently.
Though you have 4GB memory in you case, i personally would use 32bit, 32 bit OS has better compatibility compare to 64bit OS,

ps: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

_galaxy
06-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Dude, the PC is great, equipped with high frequency CPU, large amounts of memory, however the G31 motherboard is some kind of out of date.

powerover
06-07-2010, 05:33 PM
with 32bit you can only address about 3GB of ram, and that 3GB includes your dedicated ram on your video card...just keep this in mind, if you use 32bit then you are throwing 2GBs of ram away....

personally I think your PC is a bit under-speced for latest games...my PC is under-spected too....I will say go for the 64bit, to squeeze the most out of it.

_galaxy
07-07-2010, 02:25 PM
32 bit OS only address about 3GB of ram and includes dedicated ram on your video card? I was thinking that 32 bit OS could address 3.5GB RAM. I did not take the dedicated RAM into consideration either, so, most likely, you are right.

Erayd
07-07-2010, 02:37 PM
with 32bit you can only address about 3GB of ram, and that 3GB includes your dedicated ram on your video card...just keep this in mind, if you use 32bit then you are throwing 2GBs of ram away....Not quite, although you're close. The 32bit consumer versions of Windows are capable of addressing up to 4GB of total address space (4GB being the largest byte offset that will fit in a 32bit register). That address space includes the system RAM, the dedicated RAM on the graphics card, various locations reserved by the BIOS, direct access to hardware devices etc.

In the real world, this usually means you'll be able to use a little over 3GB of your system RAM - anything else is a waste of cash unless you're planning on running either a 64bit OS, or a 32bit OS with proper PAE support (PAE gets around the 4GB limit and allows 32bit systems to address up to 64GB).