PDA

View Full Version : Ram Upgrade Disaster

30-08-2001, 12:24 AM
Recently I had a computer shop put in a 128MB Ram module next to my existing 32Mb Ram. (Unless they did it themselves, there'd be no refund if things went wrong or if the Ram needed to be returned.) In the shop it booted up successfully and the new memory was recognised. When I brought the system home and booted up I was faced with an IOsubsystem error.

I used a boot disk to get into Windows. I then found that I couldn't access my floppy disk drive, cd rom, cd writer (internal), and scanner.

Strangely, I could still use the basic computer and the printer and have been limping along ever since.

The shop removed the new Ram module but I still couldn't access the 4 devices mentioned above.

I'm foxed. Any idea what's happened and what I can do to remedy it?

30-08-2001, 04:24 AM
They probably charged you heaps for it too.

Anyway, one thing to check is your bios settings, if they got wiped while it was unplugged. Its probably not the only problem but it is common.

30-08-2001, 07:53 AM
Go back to the shop, they caused the problem. It sounds like they may have disloged a cable on your mother board, or your computer is starting in safe mode. Can you see the devices in device manager? you should also see the cdrom in the post boot if the bios is set to auto.

31-08-2001, 02:54 AM
Thanks for the response and ideas.

I got the shop to check that all the cables were properly connected and was told they're fine. I can see all the devices in Device Manager except for the scanner which disappeared from Device Manager as soon as the Ram was upgraded. DM says both cdrom and cd-rw are working fine (which of course they're not). The Floppy Drive has an exclamation mark next to it, probably because I've had to disable the windows driver so that it will work via Dos and I can use it to save stuff.

Yes, I can see the cdrom in the post boot. I still can't fathom why I can't access the drives and cd writer.

Let me know if you have any other thoughts that could help.