PDA

View Full Version : SCSI/RAID Host controller problem

Cellux
23-06-2010, 01:38 PM
It's simply not installing, It's on a vista machine. It's an IDE drive in a notebook.

The computer has no viruses (scanned with Malware Bytes, Super anti-spyware, Spybot: Search and Destroy and the ESET Online Scanner). This is also not a new issue, supposedly, the PC has had the problem for some time.

An error occurred while installing this device.
<hard drive serial number> ide controller
The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
Is the error message I'm getting when I go to reinstall the driver.

I've tried a registry edit to remove the "LowerFilter" keys from some of the registry entries, I've forgotten which.

But yeah, any ideas on what I can try next?

Speedy Gonzales
23-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Did you check the upperfilter entries too? Try the fixit (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116)

Cellux
23-06-2010, 02:12 PM
I have tried deleting the upperfilters thing. It didn't fix it and caused the hidden partition to be seen. Microsoft Fix-It also didn't work.

SolMiester
23-06-2010, 03:42 PM
So, the post title has nothing to do with the issue?...This is a DVD\CD drive not recognised by windows?

Speedy Gonzales
23-06-2010, 03:46 PM
True. Have a read of one of these (http://www.google.co.nz/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=SCSI/RAID+Host+controller.+The+specified+service+does+n ot+exist+as+an+installed+service.&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8)

Cellux
24-06-2010, 01:31 PM
It's a hard drive, by the way.

<hard drive serial number> ide controller

I wouldn't have said it was a issue with the host controller if it wasn't.

Speedy, tried all of the things you can from page 1 of the google search.
After that, it's the same answers over and over again.

Speedy Gonzales
24-06-2010, 01:36 PM
The upper and lower filter is for cds or dvds. Not hdds. I think thats what Sol meant. So, what you did, probably didnt do anything, since that wasnt the prob

Well if we cant help you and Google cant. There's nothing left. Try another hdd. Thats about the only thing left

Cellux
24-06-2010, 01:43 PM
There is a problem with some lowerfilters options on hard drives as well. The one with upperfilters is for a cd/dvd drives. I just tried it to be safe, as the entries are still in the registry; did nothing.

Speedy Gonzales
24-06-2010, 01:49 PM
So whats the brand/model of this notebook?? Have you checked the site's FAQ ,to see if its got a fix?

Cellux
24-06-2010, 02:02 PM
The notebook has gone back to the customer, I checked the website when it came in though, nothing available. They'll be bringing it in tomorrow for me to attempt to fix it again.

Speedy Gonzales
24-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Ok, so whats the brand and model?

Nomad
24-06-2010, 03:15 PM
for the lappie one of the easier way is maybe backup stuff - advise the client and do a factory restore on the HD. if that does not fix it dunno eh ... one would assume it be ok.