PDA

View Full Version : iOS4

GameJunkie
22-06-2010, 12:13 PM
updated my ipod touch this morning and so far im loving it.

organising 8 pages of apps into the folders is great.

changing the background, an airplane mode is now available amongst other.

so far so good.

anyone else installed it yet/comments?

johcar
22-06-2010, 01:13 PM
I want to hear from someone with a 3GS who has upgraded before I dip my toe in the water....

lagbort
22-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Upgraded my 3gs this morning, not bad. Missing a few functions I had on my jailbroken 3.1.2 install but hopefully 4.0 jailbreaking will be sorted soon.

Feels faster than a standard 3.x install though but most of the new features were things I already had through jailbreaking.

sal
22-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Upgraded my 3GS without any hitches but it wasn't jailbroken previously so that's probably not anymore reassuring. I know how easy jail-breaking is but I would waste way more time on my phone than I already do. One App Store is chipping away at my bank account as it is, I don't want anymore.

A great improvement, definitely worth the upgrade if you have a 3GS, probably less so if you're on a 3G.

robbyp
22-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Anyone upgraded a 2g ipod touch yet? Apparently it doesn't have wallpapers, or muiltitasking.

davidmmac
22-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Anyone upgraded a 2g ipod touch yet? Apparently it doesn't have wallpapers, or muiltitasking.

Not yet, going to try and do mine tomorrow.

robbyp
22-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Not yet, going to try and do mine tomorrow.

I've started, but it has so far taken 2 hours to to the first stage, which is the backup, and it is only 20% of the way across.

plod
22-06-2010, 05:24 PM

Just started my son's. It is a 3g but since its the 8gb I believe its the same hardware as the 2g.

GameJunkie
22-06-2010, 05:30 PM
mine took about 15 minutes to download and install.

2 hours sounds a little suspect..

robbyp
22-06-2010, 05:34 PM
mine took about 15 minutes to download and install.

2 hours sounds a little suspect..

It is a full ipod, and it is still moving along slowly as it backs up, so I think I will just leave it. I do recall the os3 upgrade taking a long time too.

robbyp
22-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Just started my son's. It is a 3g but since its the 8gb I believe its the same hardware as the 2g.
I think the 2g ipod touch has a slightly faster CPU in it, than the original 3g version of the iphone.

plod
22-06-2010, 05:46 PM
I think the 2g ipod touch has a slightly faster CPU in it, than the original 3g version of the iphone.

I ment ipod touch, not 3g iphone. sorry for confusion. or am I just confusing myself

robbyp
22-06-2010, 06:36 PM
I ment ipod touch, not 3g iphone. sorry for confusion. or am I just confusing myself

No probs, I have to admit that their numbering is confusing. The new iphone is called the 4G, yet it is only a 3G phone. Yes the 3G version of the ipod 8G is using the 2G ipod touch hardware. So we miss out on multitasking and custom wallpaper.
My upgrade is almost complete, just restoring the apps now. An afternoon of waiting. I think the moral is to do a manual backup, before letting the ios4 do the backup for you.

Chilling_Silence
22-06-2010, 08:17 PM
It's called iPhone4, not 4G, they've dropped the G.

It wasn't available in iTunes for me (Make sure you've upgraded to iTunes 9.2), otherwise you can manually grab from here:
http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/
Or here:
http://iphonepk.net/downloads-jailbreak-unlock-firmware-ipsw-files-iphone-ipod-touch/

sal
22-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Scrolling now seems sluggish most the time, noticeably so. Hope this isn't going to be permanent, even a reboot doesn't help. I know how to clear the "running" apps too but I would have thought that not an issue.

plod
22-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Scrolling now seems sluggish most the time, noticeably so. Hope this isn't going to be permanent, even a reboot doesn't help. I know how to clear the "running" apps too but I would have thought that not an issue.

Was for me too, but after a reboot it has come right

xyz823
22-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Just updated - tried the RedSnow beta jailbreak (didn't work) and am playing round with it at the moment.

What I install when I jailbreak:
Categories + Categories v1 Icons + Categories SB - Folders
Backgrounder + ProSwitcher - Multi tasking
Winterboard - Themes and Wallpapers
Appsync to get cracked apps (Or Installous)
Rock and Cydia to download themes
OpenSSH
GpSPhone - GBA Emulator
Infinidock - Scrolling Dock

That's about it really. When apple can do that much with official firmware I will see no need to jailbreak (except for allowing cracked apps).

Just waiting for a 4.0 jailbreak now!

johcar
22-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Techrepublic has a guide for the upgrade: http://content.techrepublic.com.com/2346-30994_11-436968-1.html?tag=content;leftCol

Fairly basic...

robbyp
22-06-2010, 10:56 PM
It's called iPhone4, not 4G, they've dropped the G.

It wasn't available in iTunes for me (Make sure you've upgraded to iTunes 9.2), otherwise you can manually grab from here:
http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/
Or here:
http://iphonepk.net/downloads-jailbreak-unlock-firmware-ipsw-files-iphone-ipod-touch/

4G refers to fourth generation . Officialy apple dropped the G, probably to avoid confusion, but still people are referring to it as the 4G iphone(Four generation)

robbyp
22-06-2010, 10:58 PM
Was for me too, but after a reboot it has come right

Works well for me too, and they have fixed some of the laggy problems with podcasts. One of the good things I noticed, was that podcasts now display the podcast info that is embedded with it. Previous to this, only the normal ipods would display it.

Chilling_Silence
22-06-2010, 11:07 PM
4G refers to fourth generation . Officialy apple dropped the G, probably to avoid confusion, but still people are referring to it as the 4G iphone(Four generation)

The G in the name has never referred to the phone itself, but the generation of the network it supports. Initially the iPhone didn't support 3G networks, but rather only GSM.

3GS is for "Speed", because they upgraded the CPU in it and gave it more RAM.

The iPhone 4 is just that, the 4th iteration. It's the first iPhone to have the number in the name stand for the iteration and not for the networks it supports.

plod
22-06-2010, 11:33 PM
The G in the name has never referred to the phone itself, but the generation of the network it supports. Initially the iPhone didn't support 3G networks, but rather only GSM.

3GS is for "Speed", because they upgraded the CPU in it and gave it more RAM.

The iPhone 4 is just that, the 4th iteration. It's the first iPhone to have the number in the name stand for the iteration and not for the networks it supports.

True, but the G has also been used for generation, if this is correct or not is a different story. But this is how the 1g 2g 3g and 4g have there meaning portrayed too me by the media

GameJunkie
23-06-2010, 12:30 AM
just figured out how to 'kill' the active apps

double click home button then press and hold till red dot comes up and click to remove.

robsonde
23-06-2010, 01:00 PM
the 3gs install much faster then the 3g.
the 3gs works much better than the 3g.

the quote I heard today about putting iOS4 on the older 3g " it like stuffing Einstein's brain in a fish"

robbyp
23-06-2010, 03:26 PM
True, but the G has also been used for generation, if this is correct or not is a different story. But this is how the 1g 2g 3g and 4g have there meaning portrayed too me by the media

You are correct. Maybe apple didn't officially refer to them as those, but everyone else does, especially the media.

Chilling_Silence
23-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Phone wouldn't restore / upgrade on my XP Desktop, kept giving off weird errors even after a full uninstall / reboot / reinstall. Popped it into the Macbook and it upgraded no worries.

Will be nice for the new owner on Friday to have it already running iOS4 and clean of all my crap :D

Anyways, I'm off to play on my Nexus One ...

Jester
24-06-2010, 09:14 AM
My Ipod touch's battery now will run down over night after installing OS4. The IPod touch does not do multitasking and it was in sleep mode. Normally the battery use in standby was negligible, but this is running it right down.

Anyone else experienced this?

GameJunkie
24-06-2010, 09:19 AM
turn it off overnight then?
only the iphone 4 will get all the features inc. multitasking

johcar
24-06-2010, 12:44 PM
just figured out how to 'kill' the active apps

double click home button then press and hold till red dot comes up and click to remove.

Thanks for that hint, GameJunkie!

I upgraded my 3GS (32GB, 9GB free space) last night.

It took 2 hours + to download the upgrade (and it was only 378MB!!!) and an hour to install, then about three restore/syncs to get it back to usable. For some reason about a dozen of my apps failed to install initially. I still have to try to reinstall the Telecom ipcc file (in the meantime I have manually entered all the APN settings) - iTunes froze on me this morning when I was trying to do it before leaving for work.

However I do like the new look and feel - just not sure about the threaded mail - not as good as Gmail's implementation of same...

I haven't noticed a huge speed gain yet though.

Chilling_Silence
24-06-2010, 12:52 PM
You don't wanna have to turn it off. Do you know how long they take to power on? :p

Also, while the iPhone 4 will get "all features", the likes of the 3GS and the 3G will still get most of them. The 3G doesn't support multitasking unless jailbroken.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/21/iphone-3g-ios-4-and-you-whats-missing-spoiler-multitaski/
http://www.pcworld.com/article/199713/does_jailbreaking_still_make_sense_with_ios_40.htm l

Im on Big Time and it downloaded in under 20 minutes on my 4m/bit connection ;)

johcar
24-06-2010, 01:04 PM
I'm on a FS/FS plan with Telecom too, but only ADSL ("Your exchange is due to be upgraded in 2011") - top download speed is about 1.8 m/bit, and I suspect my daughter was watching YouTube clips (or similar) while I was trying to get the upgrade downloaded. MS patches of a similar size are MUCH quicker...

Chilling_Silence
24-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Bummer your experience wasn't the nicest. Neither was mine to be honest, lost everything on the phone, errors all over the show, multiple restores. It was heaps easier to go from 2.X to 3.0 back in the day ...

robbyp
24-06-2010, 07:34 PM
You don't wanna have to turn it off. Do you know how long they take to power on? :p

Also, while the iPhone 4 will get "all features", the likes of the 3GS and the 3G will still get most of them. The 3G doesn't support multitasking unless jailbroken.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/21/iphone-3g-ios-4-and-you-whats-missing-spoiler-multitaski/
http://www.pcworld.com/article/199713/does_jailbreaking_still_make_sense_with_ios_40.htm l

Im on Big Time and it downloaded in under 20 minutes on my 4m/bit connection ;)

I think multitasking is overrated anyway. It is more a of muiltipause, than true multitasking.

maccrazy
24-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Took a while to install and restore all my data, but my 3G is now running iOS 4 - working faster than before.

GameJunkie
24-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Thanks for that hint, GameJunkie!

I upgraded my 3GS (32GB, 9GB free space) last night.

It took 2 hours + to download the upgrade (and it was only 378MB!!!) and an hour to install, then about three restore/syncs to get it back to usable. For some reason about a dozen of my apps failed to install initially. I still have to try to reinstall the Telecom ipcc file (in the meantime I have manually entered all the APN settings) - iTunes froze on me this morning when I was trying to do it before leaving for work.

However I do like the new look and feel - just not sure about the threaded mail - not as good as Gmail's implementation of same...

I haven't noticed a huge speed gain yet though.

no worries

sal
25-06-2010, 03:02 PM
I think multitasking is overrated anyway. It is more a of muiltipause, than true multitasking.
I don't think it's overrated, it makes working between apps a LOT faster and is what I'd imagine multi-tasking on a mobile phone to be. Although it's largely fast-app switching at work here, there is support for other multi-tasking services (http://developer.apple.com/technologies/iphone/whats-new.html#multitasking).

Jester
25-06-2010, 07:12 PM
I lost all my music and videos when I updated but thankfully the contacts, emails and apps were still there.

Anyhow, the loss in battery is related to (now) wifi being active even when sleeping. I could turn wifi off but now there is Airplane Mode that kills it quicker and seems to re-connect faster to the net when switched off than it does to turn off the wifi. Does the job and certainly easier than turning it off completely.

davidmmac
25-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Just started downloading the update. Taking ages.

davidmmac
25-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Only just finished, well thats what I thought. An error popped up telling me the connection had timed out :mad:. 3 hours for that

Off to find a download link.

robbyp
25-06-2010, 11:07 PM
I lost all my music and videos when I updated but thankfully the contacts, emails and apps were still there.

Anyhow, the loss in battery is related to (now) wifi being active even when sleeping. I could turn wifi off but now there is Airplane Mode that kills it quicker and seems to re-connect faster to the net when switched off than it does to turn off the wifi. Does the job and certainly easier than turning it off completely.

Airplane mode just switches wifi off, because when you enable airplane mode, and go into the wifi section, it is set to off.

johcar
25-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Airplane mode just switches wifi off, because when you enable airplane mode, and go into the wifi section, it is set to off.

Not just wifi - Bluetooth too...

robbyp
26-06-2010, 12:22 AM
Not just wifi - Bluetooth too...

Yeah bluetooth too. However it doesn't put wifi into a low power mode, like the other poster implied it did. It is really just an override control switch to switch off the wireless adapters in one go, rather having to manually swith off wifi, and then bluetooth..

Chilling_Silence
26-06-2010, 01:37 AM
Off to find a download link.

I posted two links earlier that you can use, with download managers. AFAIK the second one (With the black background) gets its links directly from Apple

jonathan
26-06-2010, 09:03 AM
Am going to try my ipod touch 3g today. However it sounds like it has most of the stuff jailbreak has, and I don't want to miss out on my winterboard and cydia :(

davidmmac
26-06-2010, 10:09 AM
I posted two links earlier that you can use, with download managers. AFAIK the second one (With the black background) gets its links directly from Apple

Thanks Chill, used the first one and it all now seems to be working fine.

So far I'm loving the folders, but not loving the fact you can only put 12 apps in them :( and the upgrade seems to have nicked off with some of the storage capacity on my iPod, now the capacity is listed as 6.83GB, can't remember what it originally was but I'm sure it was more than 7GB.