PDA

View Full Version : Red Network

pctek
21-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Ok now I'm annoyed. After not being transferred to this in the first place, not getting caller ID enabled, having to insist they hadn't enabled it at the exchange, getting that sorted, getting switched to the Red Network now I find loads of things don't work.

Caller ID - agin - bet they didn't enable it again.
Phone ring - well it works, it's just non-standard, not really much of an issue
Services - such as 137 for instance, don't work
DNS resolving on my lovely ASUS wifi modem. Now that I tested properly tonight, went over had plugged it in to my sons Orcon network, using his login. And oh look, it resolves DNS just fine, it just won't on the Red Network..

Trying to explain that to them before took forever and 15 calls - where I got put to the helpdesk going round and round in circles whil;e they tried to tell me how to enter the DNS server settings, phoning back to ask for SOMEONE who understands what I'm trying to tell them.

Eventually I got Brett in not the helpdesk who did, but said I had to get the helpdesk to log it,m and of course they wouldn't. So now I'll have to ring Brett back. Because there network system is screwed as far as I'm concerned.

Nice to have 14Mbps but not at the expense of losing all sorts of other things.

8ftmetalhaed
21-06-2010, 08:54 PM
hear hear. Similar problems all round!

pctek
21-06-2010, 08:57 PM
hear hear. Similar problems all round!

Yours are?

8ftmetalhaed
21-06-2010, 09:20 PM
re my two or three threads over the past few months regarding occasional to constant disconnections from the service, dozens of calls to customer service, being constantly told that it is likely i am at fault yet having the problem arise seemingly out of thin air in the space of a week, being shifted to a slower speed setup without being told, going through 3 modems to experience the same problem every time and having "resolved" the problem numerous times only to end up being disconnected a few days later and realise that the problem persists and howl in frustration at the fact that i cannot afford to risk calling a technician out lest it cost $234.12 if it does turn out to be me.

Sweep
21-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Hmmmmm. Completed ahead of schedule and presumably still being Beta tested:-

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=7983

8ftmetalhaed
22-06-2010, 01:40 AM
I'm sure the "era of toll calling" ended elsewhere years ago, and the "era of broadband caps" ended about 2 years back.

Oh and while typing, I remember that when I shifted house 6 months ago I also had trouble getting the line switched over at all. I only moved about 1.2k down the road. Still same distance from the exchange, but it took me two weeks to get the internet connected because I'm in a split level house and the landlord didn't know the previous number for my level and my sister also had to get her internet hooked up upstairs but they just got a technician in. I spent about 4 days calling vodafone then telecom then vodafone again trying to get either company to give me the number for my line, then after squinting at the phone jacks I noticed one of them had a very VERY faded piece of paper with "old number" on it taped to the point and a number written on it which might have been the number so i gave that to vodafone and they never actually got back to me as to whether or not it was the old number but jesus man this is bringing back a fresh surge of irritation.

I too enjoy the 13mbps and (now) 30gb cap but I'd willingly half my speed for some decent and intelligent CS guys.

Agent_24
22-06-2010, 01:57 AM
DNS resolving on my lovely ASUS wifi modem. Now that I tested properly tonight, went over had plugged it in to my sons Orcon network, using his login. And oh look, it resolves DNS just fine, it just won't on the Red Network..

I thought you said that the router was faulty last time...

pctek
22-06-2010, 08:14 AM
I thought you said that the router was faulty last time...

Well yes. Because that's what they will say. It works on Telecoms equipment, it works on Orcons.
It doesn't on Red Network, my ancient old Billion does though.
You see?

Agent_24
22-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Yeah, same thing happened to me actually. My ADSL is still playing up (lower speeds than it should be given the distance)

Some of my routers manage 700Kbps upstream just fine, but while some of them get a faster downstream rate approaching the old speed, they can't get an upstream rate over 160Kbps (in the RTA230's case, it won't get over 80Kbps)

Yet I know these routers to be fine, and they were all working fine before these problems happened.

8ftmetalhaed
22-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Same here. I thought my first modem was at fault, so I got a new one. Then that one buggered out, although gave me a different error symptom, so i took it back for one that was twice the price (still only $120, but still), and i still have the same problem so I know that vodafone or my wiring is stuffed but still they haven't done anything about it.

Agent_24
22-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Two different technicians have confirmed that a fault lies in the cables along the road going to my house, based on the fact that the speed should not drop by 2Mbit over 200 meters.

But because their line testers show the line as "perfect" - Telecom won't let them do anything about it.

pctek
22-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Someone noticed one of the forum whinges and rang me.

It's come back that it is an incompatibilty between my (and possibly other) brand/models of modem and their Red Network equipment which is Huawei.

At least we got an answer, fix is doubtful so I either change modems or live with DNS settings. Weird - I did find the same thing occurs on iinet too with other people. Maybe iinet uses Huawei too.

Agent_24
22-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Maybe if you ask Asus nicely they will make a firmware update to solve the problem?

Yeah, right!

rumpty
22-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Hmmmmm. Completed ahead of schedule and presumably still being Beta tested:-

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=7983

I notice a line in that press release "Customers tell us they love the faster broadband..." Are they saying that you will get faster broadband than, say, Telecom, at the same address? Faster connect speed?? Or what?

KarameaDave
22-06-2010, 04:06 PM
It'll be faster to stop working, perhaps?

Chilling_Silence
22-06-2010, 07:23 PM
http://www.telecomwholesale.co.nz/maps

Throw your address in there and see if Telecom have cabinets in your area.

Check with Orcon too, or your favorite Chorus-wholesaling ISP. Anything has to be better than that, but I personally wouldn't give up those lovely speeds :D

PPp
22-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Not having read all the posts. I must put up the quote from "Anonymous" that "Bullshit baffles Brains ". We have put up with "Technological Crap", from various ISPs for years, as an excuse that they are providing what we want, only its our fault we are not getting it!
It needs some concerted effort, on behalf of users, to show these jerks, we are not buying their bullshit.
What is needed is a large number of users to complain LOUDLY to lots of media,MP's ,Ministers, and relevant organizations that hype does not equal facts . anybody got any links?????????
( This from a soon to be ex Xnet user)( HOw can I tell if the fire is hotter or not)
(IT ALWAYS IS)(too gullible)

Chilling_Silence
22-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Aside from the fact it's been done before, and I've personally assisted Telecom multiple times to resolve their issues with Big Time shaping, amongst other things, at the end of the day if you don't want ADSL, where else are you going to go?

You can switch ISP's but not technology, however when somebody is providing you with the best technology even if their support is custard, sometimes you just take it regardless. I know I have..

Zippity
22-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Be thankful that you are in the Red Zone.

I have to wait until this time next year before I get upgraded :(

Agent_24
22-06-2010, 10:57 PM
I've personally assisted Telecom multiple times to resolve their issues with Big Time shaping

Can you assist them in getting it working so Bittorrent actually gets slowed down and we can keep Big Time? :lol:

pctek
23-06-2010, 07:32 AM
Throw your address in there and see if Telecom have cabinets in your area.

Check with Orcon too, or your favorite Chorus-wholesaling ISP.

Telecom, no.
Orcon, it's funny, Henderson exchange has Vodafones equip, but Massey doesn't.
Massey has Orcons but Henderson doesn't.
My son is on Orcons, off Massey exchnage.

Had another go with the ASUS modem and it also now disconnects frequently too so back to the old Billion.

Chilling_Silence
23-06-2010, 09:17 AM
They've just been through Henderson doing Cabinetization I seem to remember ? If you're against Telecom then find somebody who will resell you a connection so you still get the fast speeds?

Agent_24
23-06-2010, 10:06 AM
They've just been through Henderson doing Cabinetization I seem to remember ? If you're against Telecom then find somebody who will resell you a connection so you still get the fast speeds?

Yeah, I'm near there and we're getting our cabinets upgraded right now. The technician said it should be operational by the 2nd week of July.

Chilling_Silence
23-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Lucky .. I'm not getting the upgrade in my area until Sept 2011 :(

Agent_24
23-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Lucky .. I'm not getting the upgrade in my area until Sept 2011 :(

Well it remains to be seen just how lucky. If the issue with my line is still there I may not get any increase in speed at all.

Greven
24-06-2010, 07:28 PM
The cabinet in my area will be upgraded at the end of this year. I don't think the peak time slowdown is caused by the cabinet though :(

Chilling_Silence
25-06-2010, 10:48 AM
You'd be surprised how much a congested exchange affects things ...