PDA

View Full Version : Orcon

DeSade
21-06-2010, 09:05 AM
We are thinking of changing to Orcon after many years with Telecom.

I know there are copious threads asking who is the best, but my query is a bit more structured (I hope)

I just want to know if speeds and reliability is comparable to Telecom.
Any info needed to help with this query please ask.

Trev
21-06-2010, 09:30 AM
Go Actrix. Rated best ISP by Consumer over the last few years or so.
Here. (http://www.actrix.co.nz/)
:)

DeSade
21-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Their highest plan in "custom" is 50gb, I need double that.

pctek
21-06-2010, 09:50 AM
We are thinking of changing to Orcon after many years with Telecom.

I know there are copious threads asking who is the best, but my query is a bit more structured (I hope)

I just want to know if speeds and reliability is comparable to Telecom.
Any info needed to help with this query please ask.

Orcon is miles better than Telecom.
If you get on their own equipment speed will be brilliant. If not, not much different from anyone else.

They have a proper helpdesk with people in NZ. Yes some may have limited knowledge but it's easy to bump it up to someone more senior - after all they list all their staff members on their website.

My son has been with them for ages now, issues are sorted pretty quick.

Nomad
21-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Orcon is miles better than Telecom.
If you get on their own equipment speed will be brilliant. If not, not much different from anyone else.

They have a proper helpdesk with people in NZ. Yes some may have limited knowledge but it's easy to bump it up to someone more senior - after all they list all their staff members on their website.

My son has been with them for ages now, issues are sorted pretty quick.

x2. i went with Actrix cos they had a better price deal than Xnet and of their reputation, not sure if Xnet was crap (their normal plans). Not Torrent. I got 2Mbps with them back 3yrs ago but I had 256k the last 3yrs apart from 2 months. They could of upgraded out lines slightly.

I get 3Mbps now but Download Accel gets 5Mbps. So I don't see they are that special. Haven't needed to call them. With Xnet I might of got more outages before but recently Actrix's homepage and a few NZ sites and their email had some mini outages.

I think at the end of the day they are more the same. Just don't bet your life on the net and if it is for a business, have redundancy on the local or external disks as much as you can. A 2nd email provider helps too.

DeSade
21-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Looks like I have made a good choice so far. Orcon is looking good.

I have a seperate email from my ISP so thats not a issue.

pctek
21-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Actrix - # Simple, fast & reliable Broadband
# Homeline rental with unlimited local calling
# Competitive Toll rates (compare)
# 1000 National Calling minutes

No flat rate tolls.
Expensive in comparison to Orcon Or Vodafones bundles.
Pity.........

Safari
21-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Actrix - # Simple, fast & reliable Broadband
# Homeline rental with unlimited local calling
# Competitive Toll rates (compare)
# 1000 National Calling minutes

No flat rate tolls.
Expensive in comparison to Orcon Or Vodafones bundles.
Pity.........

You are looking at the bundled homeline plan
Standard BB plans are at this link
http://www.actrix.co.nz/page.php?id=144

Chilling_Silence
21-06-2010, 10:57 AM
My question to you would be: Why are you looking at changing?

DeSade
21-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Purely out of size, their PRO plan is the highest at 40gb and its not enough.
The only option they will give us above that is to pay for the "overuse" charges.

GreacherTech
21-06-2010, 12:54 PM
Purely out of size, their PRO plan is the highest at 40gb and its not enough.
The only option they will give us above that is to pay for the "overuse" charges.

Oh thats embaressing, I am also looking to change to Orcon, at course (in Tauranga) one of my tutors who teach the Dip in Computer Network Engineering Level 5 can access his orcon on his laptop from tech and he reaches speeds of up to 2mb/s and that's the actual transfer rate of a direct download. So in many respects I would say they are far better than Telecom;)

pctek
21-06-2010, 03:41 PM
You are looking at the bundled homeline plan
Standard BB plans are at this link
http://www.actrix.co.nz/page.php?id=144

I know.

Sweep
21-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Looks like I have made a good choice so far. Orcon is looking good.

I have a seperate email from my ISP so thats not a issue.

So a plan to suit your needs will be around $200.00 / Month from Orcon.

Pleased I can get by without going over my 10 Gig cap with Telecom.

goodiesguy
21-06-2010, 06:24 PM
we have 10GB PDQ Turbo with telstraclear. if you go over the 10GB (were up to like 22GB) they just add another 10GB. the most we use is 30GB, which is good considering my pc and laptop plus my sisters emac and my dads pc are using the net (mostly my 2). Telstra Clear are good. Orcon was ranked the highest in a ISP comparison last year in pc world magazine, so they must be good

paulw
21-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Wish that they were better when you move house.

I am moving on Thursday and have asked them to disconnect the fone and switch BB to the new address mid July. Man they just don't come back. No acknowledgment and then I get a courier bag to send their router back in.

Email again and this time got a reply saying it was normal when you disconnect. Just ignore it.

Sent another email to bring the date forward by a week to June 25th no reply so who knows when this will happen. Most likely the new house owners will have free fone for a week. Telecom can't do anything with my old number like put an announcement on it until Orcon releases it..

When you want to buy a service it's "yes sir when".

kahawai chaser
21-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Also I did a "ping" or trace route test to my ISP once, which is Kiwi Online - but it traced to Orcon's servers. The KOL technician informed me they use Orcon as back up. Perhaps a endorsement of reliability.

goodiesguy
21-06-2010, 11:41 PM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/854411293.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

this is what i got with speed test. fastest it's ever been