PDA

View Full Version : Need to extend wireless coverage.

quark
20-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Hi. I have wireless but it needs to cover a larger area. My main router is the standard Telecom wireless router made by Thompson. The router I want to use to extend the coverage is is a Netgear. Is there anyway i can get the Netgear router to pick up the signal and broadcast it further?

Thanks

Nomad
20-06-2010, 08:00 PM
you can get a better antenna i think.

N series I think might provide greater distance but then again you need all the other devices to be n as well.

quark
20-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Yeah I could do that. But I also want a desktop computer to hook up to the Netgear router via Ethernet. Just save me some cash and means i can use the gear I have already.

Thanks

Nomad
20-06-2010, 08:10 PM
well if you get a new one you still may put in a better antenna or just go to N series.

quark
20-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Yeah ino. But im looking for a solution to my problem. Cant really afford new gear. And the gear iv got at the moment is good so i dont wanna not use it.

Thanks

gary67
20-06-2010, 08:21 PM
It's called bridging mode I think, not my area of knowledge but remember seeing it mentioned here before try googling it

dagangsta
20-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Go on eBay or trademe and search up wifi antennas. They work cause I've had the same problem as you so I bought one and just changed them. Look for one compattible with your router. They are about $8NZ on eBay.

You can also make a diy wifi booster. Google it.