PDA

View Full Version : Laptop battery life

tuiruru
20-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Hi

I bought my Toshiba Satellite A300 18 months ago and recently have noticed that the battery seems to be draining faster. Although the lappie gets used every day I wouldn't say it was heavily used - mainly Word Processing, a bit of simple spreadsheeting, e-mail, Facebook and internet research - on average about two hours a day, spread thru the day max. It is invariably on the "Power Saver" power plan and when I close the lid it goes into sleep mode.

I had a Tosh before this one and wasn't impressed by the battey life on that either. So, what do you think? Is 18 months a reasonable length of time before I have to start looking at replacing it?

Thanks

kjaada
20-06-2010, 10:08 AM
I also have a Toshiba lappy and thought the battery was stuffed.Brought a new one and could not see any difference what so ever.Mine also seems to use a lot even if turned off.

The Error Guy
20-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Heat and constant charging can affect battery life. With my laptop, if i'm using it for long periods of time (over an hour) I remove the battery and just run it off wall power. also if if its a lithium ion battery (Li-ion) then completely discharging the battery can cause damage so I never let mine get below 12-14%. If your laptop funs very hot taking the battery out can save the laptop and the battery because the battery generates heat as it charges,also removing the battery leaves and extra bit of space for air to circulate and removes another heat source

tuiruru
20-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Hi Error

When the battery is fully charged I always disconnect the charger thus never really overcharging it and making sure that it has to work. The user's manual recommends using the battery until it has fully discharged once a month which is what I do.