PDA

View Full Version : So, who are the terrorists then?

feersumendjinn
19-06-2010, 10:15 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/3831440/Obama-internet-kill-switch-proposed

KarameaDave
19-06-2010, 10:39 AM
If I'm not winning, I'll take my ball and you can't play with it.
What a bunch of...

prefect
19-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Its all theoretical and typical yank bluster. Now we the rest of the world know the yanks might want to do it we can work out a way to to shut the yanks off the internet.

Chilling_Silence
19-06-2010, 11:38 AM
That has bad news written all over it ...

KarameaDave
19-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Yay, America free Internet.
Who else should we get rid of?

Battleneter2
19-06-2010, 12:52 PM
This will go hand in hand with "The Patriot Act" that gives Americans roughly the same rights as those in communist China. I could have "sworn" Obama campaigned to repeal the Patriot act, instead he resigned it!

How odd, this administration is continuing on exactly the same way as the last, one could be forgiven thinking the US is actually a fake democracy :P

But yea no surprise.

decibel
19-06-2010, 08:53 PM
About thirty years ago, similarly minded US politicians proposed a law that would require all the US telcos to provide a means that the US president could, in a national emergency, ring every telephone in the USA simultaneously and a recording would be played when the phone was answered.
The proposal was dropped when the telcos convinced everyone that it was physically impossible to do.
While this proposal may be more "possible", it is still just as idiotic.

qazwsxokmijn
19-06-2010, 09:18 PM
The global internet as a US national asset?

I have two BIG fingers right here for Obama and his ilk.

george12
19-06-2010, 09:28 PM
I don't even think it would work. Due to DNS cacheing, my understanding is the most they could ever do inside the USA is disable internet access to, from, and within the USA.

Meanwhile 'terrorists' in whatever country they're in will have unrestricted internet access and there's nothing Obama can do about it. Or they can just use some other form of communication.

Perhaps he is afraid of a giant virus so powerful it could infect nuclear power stations and such and cause Die Hard 4.0 to happen :D

Thankfully, only in movies can any system be successfully attacked by a sufficiently skilled hacker.

george12
19-06-2010, 09:30 PM
About thirty years ago, similarly minded US politicians proposed a law that would require all the US telcos to provide a means that the US president could, in a national emergency, ring every telephone in the USA simultaneously and a recording would be played when the phone was answered.
The proposal was dropped when the telcos convinced everyone that it was physically impossible to do.
While this proposal may be more "possible", it is still just as idiotic.

I'm trying and failing to think of an emergency where such an ability would even be useful!

ronyville
19-06-2010, 09:40 PM
The global internet as a US national asset?

I have two BIG fingers right here for Obama and his ilk.

i dont think it was proposed by Obama, it is proposed by Joe Lieberman, who is chairman of the US Homeland Security committee, regardless of who the president is.

Terry Porritt
19-06-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm trying and failing to think of an emergency where such an ability would even be useful!
I think it was one scheme to be able to notify Americans of nuclear attack so they could get to their bunkers......whilst in Britain the government advice in case of nuclear attack was to put a brown paper bag over your head.....:banana

mikebartnz
19-06-2010, 09:47 PM
I think it was one scheme to be able to notify Americans of nuclear attack so they could get to their bunkers......whilst in Britain the government advice in case of nuclear attack was to put a brown paper bag over your head.....:banana
I thought it was to put your head between your knees.

Trev
19-06-2010, 09:48 PM
And put your head between your knees and kiss your arse goodbye.
:)

qazwsxokmijn
19-06-2010, 09:54 PM
i dont think it was proposed by Obama, it is proposed by Joe Lieberman, who is chairman of the US Homeland Security committee, regardless of who the president is.
Well then, two BIG fingers for this moronic yank Bieberman.

ubergeek85
19-06-2010, 10:30 PM
This is stupid.

Sure, a lot of the big sites are located in the US, as are a few other important servers (namely the DNS root). Oh boo hoo, you can't get to facebook!

So long as ISP's keep good DNS caches, and avoid what happened when some country (iran? iraq? israel?) blocked out youtube, and ended up blocking it out over most of the world.

I sorta forgot where I was heading with this post... but it reminds me of this article: http://www.cracked.com/article_18453_5-reasons-internet-could-die-at-any-moment.html

Chilling_Silence
19-06-2010, 11:19 PM
I love some of the stuff that cracked.com comes up with!

rebels181
20-06-2010, 09:32 AM
BBC Asia Pacific are showing a doco about this now. The main person they are interviewing is from Nortons. :clap

If you mess with Russia it could be a problem http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10339543.stm

prefect
20-06-2010, 09:39 AM
The Estonians deserve everything they get, they are hassling ethnic Russians and trying to revoke their citizenship.
Dont know why Russia does not invade the 3 Baltic states and incorporate them back into Russia.

The Error Guy
20-06-2010, 09:43 AM
sad sack, I think the picture of him describes his decision, retarded http://static.stuff.co.nz/1276894068/449/3831449.jpg I propose that we confiscate all american internet related technology to save them from themselves and hide it all on Steward Island... shotgun the first 3D TV that comes in.

I can see what will happen if this does get passed though, they well have random "tests" to make sure it works, screw up the world and when they actually need it, it wont work. or Obama will post some embarrassing pics of his drunken party on Facebook and wake up with a hangover and take down the internet until he can get rid of them. either that or some 21 year old Chinese guy will hack it and threaten the world by taking the internet down casually during the live streaming of world cup football

mikebartnz
20-06-2010, 12:53 PM
The Estonians deserve everything they get, they are hassling ethnic Russians and trying to revoke their citizenship.
Dont know why Russia does not invade the 3 Baltic states and incorporate them back into Russia.
Next you will be wanting Russia to revert back to communism.

prefect
20-06-2010, 01:04 PM
I dont like commies

mikebartnz
20-06-2010, 01:31 PM
I dont like commies
What would you do if you were Tibetan and finally got independence from China. Would you want to kick out all those Chinese that were sent in to dilute the Tibetan population because I am sure that is how a lot of those previous states of Russia feel.

rob_on_guitar
20-06-2010, 01:55 PM
I reckon kill the internet! Yay! That would be so cool!