PDA

View Full Version : Handled the iPad

Nomad
18-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Are they available here yet?

Anyway, they are quite compact, to me it was more a PDA than a laptop, maybe on the heavy side, I was a bit surprised. Very thin. Pretty much just one socket for the multi adaptor if you want to plug stuff in it.

It's not a replacement laptop in the corporate field. You cannot type a report or do a forecast at least not efficiently. For the most out there they are consumers and this does it, you can surf the web, read e-books, reply personal emails and chat and view pictures/videos etc. Can be nice as a personal diary, e-book for the newer generations instead of reading a real book, good for those in the medical field, a meter reader or a inspector - it's like a sophisticated clipboard. Could be great for those who have a PC at home but just want a fun device for casual stuff and it can a alternative to a laptop in the lounge. Clearly not your MS Office overtime working at home or doing your school project or for real games.

I think for those who don't play games, not at school or who has a PC already or laptop, the iPad could be their secondary or even their primary device. Surfs the web, does casual email, does chats, pix/vids. Maybe tethered to a wireless keyboard (foldable perhaps) for the odd job email.

Afaik iPads are priced competitively with entry laptops so while a laptop may have more features and functionality, I assume many would prefer the iPad maybe reasoning with themselves that they don't need the extra features of a laptop. And of course it has a lot of appeal and peer pressure.

wratterus
18-06-2010, 05:44 PM
I fingered one a few weeks ago. Very gimmicky, but cool none the less.

Sweep
18-06-2010, 05:47 PM
I'm sure iPads have their place.

Wherever that may be!

qazwsxokmijn
18-06-2010, 06:08 PM
I fingered one a few weeks ago...
Where would you even.....:confused:

:D

In any case I toyed around with my friend's knockoff Chinese one. Haven't tried out the real thing yet but will probably soon when my other rather rich friend gets his.

goodiesguy
18-06-2010, 06:35 PM
I fingered one a few weeks ago.

lol

Trev
18-06-2010, 06:38 PM
You can buy one Here. (http://www.parallelimported.co.nz/catalogsearch/result/?order=relevance&dir=desc&q=ipad)
:)

Nomad
18-06-2010, 08:16 PM
I'll add that it could be quite popular with salespeople. Incl meter readers with the 3G feature to transfer data on the spot. Maybe even sport coaches and the Formula we we have seen on TV.

I quite liked the size. It wasn't too small but still relatively compact and very thin, it could fit into a manila envlope. There is no LCD to lift up so seems like half the size of a netbook.

psycik
18-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Frieind of mine got one opening weekend from the states. Let me have a play with it.

Not pad, did seriously consider one over a iPhone, but slightly too large, and less useful that a netbook. Ideally I'd like a tablet PC (the ones with the rotating screen) with built in 3g,

Trev
19-06-2010, 09:17 AM
The latest Consumer Mag has a review on the Ipad. Buy it from your local book store.
:)

Cicero
19-06-2010, 10:23 AM
As I understand it,the opposition tablets will do more for less,so I would wait,if I were in the market for that kind of gimmick.

R2x1
21-06-2010, 02:00 AM
I fingered one a few weeks ago. Very gimmicky, but cool none the less.
Extreme thoroughness in handwashing is recommended, lest your acquaintances contract Appleness via a handshake and begin frothing at the mouth and baying at the moon. ;)

gary67
21-06-2010, 07:52 AM
is an iPad similar to an iPatch? Had a quick look at one recently boss bought one back from Oz. Honestly can't see what all the fuss is about, would I buy one No